Main electric box switch on or off? (2 Viewers)

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
This maybe a stupid question :)

When we had the caravan we would switch off the electric in the main box when not using. Should we do that in the motorhome when not in use? We have just been switching it off at the panel, forgot all about the switch where the fuses are.

It is going in to have a relay switch looked at next week, but just not sure what we shoukd be leaving on when not in use.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I was reading the Autotrail hand book a while ago.. It says the Sargent unit should be switched off when not on hook up.
It says when on hook up plug in and then turn on the box.. Turn it off before disconnecting the mains.

That was about a month after we nought it.. The thing had never been turned off before so it aint been turned off since !!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
By law there should be a notice inside your van giving the correct procedure.. if not ask your dealer where it is.. The main switch should be off before disconnecting the EHU cable and not switched on until after reconnecting

Details here.. Table 7.5 - Instructions for electricity supply
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/7.9.2.htm

To Connect
Before connecting the caravan installation to the mains supply, check that :
a) - the supply available at the caravan pitch supply point is suitable for the caravan installation and appliances, and
b) - the caravan main switch is in the OFF position.
Open the cover to the appliance inlet provided at the caravan supply point and insert the connector of the supply flexible cable
3. Raise the cover from the electricity outlet provided on the pitch supply point and insert the plug of the supply cable. The caravan supply flexible cable must be fully uncoiled to avoid damage by overheating.
4. Switch ON at the caravan main switch
5. Check the operation of residual current devices, if any, fitted in the caravan by depressing the test button.
In case of doubt or if, after carrying out the above procedure the supply does not become available, or if the supply fails, consult the caravan park operator or his agent or a qualified electrician.
To Disconnect
Switch off at the caravan main isolating switch and unplug both ends of the cable.

Periodical Inspection
Preferably not less than once every three years and more frequently if the vehicle is used more than normal average mileage for such vehicles, the caravan electrical installation and supply cable should be inspected and tested and a report on its condition obtained as prescribed in BS 7671 (formerly the Regulations for Electrical Installations) published by the Institution of Electrical Engineers.

Last edited:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Blimey I have never switch off at the main box ever, perhaps I should do it in from now on.:eek:

Yes it's a good idea.

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Had our hab service 2 days ago and the mobile engineer advised that we should only turn on once we were connected to ehu, said it would prevent surges.

OP
OP
Spidey
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Thanks, we always did it with the caravan but never thought about it with the MH. On handover we were not told, but think it is a good idea. Will do it from now on. So the battery 12v still works if the main switch is off ?

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Thanks, we always did it with the caravan but never thought about it with the MH. On handover we were not told, but think it is a good idea. Will do it from now on. So the battery 12v still works if the main switch is off ?
The engineer told us to turn the fridge on to 12v when we move off as it wouldn't do it automatically if the Sargent unit was off.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
So the battery 12v still works if the main switch is off ?

Yes, the only connection between 230 and 12 volt is the on board charger. Your 230/12 volt fridge is switched so no connection. :)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
The engineer told us to turn the fridge on to 12v when we move off as it wouldn't do it automatically if the Sargent unit was off.

Mmmmmm, not sure about that.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
The ONLY thing we turn off is the gas whilst on the move. If there was a problem with EHU then the main electric box would trip telling me problem!!!!! as soon as I connect - the same thing would happen if I connect first ten switched on the electric box would trip......... same thing.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Th
The ONLY thing we turn off is the gas whilst on the move. If there was a problem with EHU then the main electric box would trip telling me problem!!!!! as soon as I connect - the same thing would happen if I connect first ten switched on the electric box would trip......... same thing.

Thats the thing, we all do as we like. No problem with that.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Never turned ours off, we were never informed to turn it off when purchased so i am not gonna change anything now !

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
turn off the gas when traveling? then my dinner wouldnt be cooked on arrival

greygit

Free Member
Aug 11, 2009
Forest of Dean, Glos, France and Spain
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I switched off ours yesterday while unhooking the lecy cable, drove north for a couple hours then discovered the fridge hadn't auto changed to 12v as I hadn't switched the unit back on again.:(

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
The IEE regs clearly state the correct method of connecting and disconnecting the EHU .

Every van by law must have the instructions posted near the main switch ..

Don't do as others do .. The IEE regs. were put in place to protect YOU. They were written by people who know and understand the electrical hazards. The 'why's' and 'wherefore's' are not important..

If you think you know better, why not write to the IEE giving them your advice..

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I don't turn the gas off. I regularly use the heater when on the move in winter.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
They were written by people who know and understand the electrical hazards. The 'why's' and 'wherefore's' are not important....
Maybe. But I can never accept any 'regulation' or 'advice' at face value so until I can understand what possible hazard or fault could be caused by shoving a plug into a socket I don't accept that the whys and wherefores are unimportant. The fact that on many vans the mains switch is neither prominent nor conveniently placed doesn't help either.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Maybe. But I can never accept any 'regulation' or 'advice' at face value so until I can understand what possible hazard or fault could be caused by shoving a plug into a socket I don't accept that the whys and wherefores are unimportant. The fact that on many vans the mains switch is neither prominent nor conveniently placed doesn't help either.

If you unplug without switching off and there is still an appliance connected , say the battery charger and or the fridge, it will create an arc at the plug.. this can cause a back EMF or spike that may damage said appliances.. especially if they have electronic boards.. as fitted in most things nowadays.. The more appliances connected, the greater the arc.. The bigger the arc, the higher the back EMF or spike.. The arc can also damage the pins of the plug and socket..

Basically it's just good practice to switch off before unplugging any appliance, otherwise why would we have switches on 13amp wall sockets.

I didn't write the regulations nor understand all the 'whys and wherefores' or every one, but I accept that the people who did do.

But do as you see fit.. thousands probably don't bother and have come to no harm.. yet.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back