pamie

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi what would you recomend to polish our Hobby MH it already has a little paint bubbling don't want to make it worse
pamie

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
You can use any resin polish. I use Autoglym polish as it's not abrasive at all and leaves a good shine :)

As to the bubbling, then that's usually a sign that there's corrosion etc below the paint surface. That or you've possibly had something spilt on it to make the paint bubble in the first place :Eeek:

What is the paint covering? An aluminium body (in which case no corrosion) or plastic trim etc, either way a good quality abrasive free polish will work wonders :)

I'd have someone in the know have a look to give you peace of mind :)

Broken Link Removed

Jackyboy61

Free Member
Jun 6, 2014
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
A good wash with Fenwicks motorhome cleaner to get any black
Streaks off it then a bit of elbow grees with any resin polish and a monthly wash with Fenwicks bobby dazzler that should keep your motorhome skueaky clean and sparkling .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
pamie

pamie

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thank you very much for your reply's
Pamie

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I'm afraid there may be corrosion even in aluminium but a better bet might be moisture under the paint, is the bubble on the edge of a panel perhaps?

wellsprungalice

Free Member
May 23, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
2 years with a campervan; saw the light, now mortorhome newbie
Aldi had a black-streaks-remover cleaner for caravans and motorhomes on sale earlier this year, and I got a bottle, but haven't used it yet. Has anyone else, and is it any good? Their general purpose cleaner for round the MH is good - I patch tested it and then used it several times over the season on the interior and it's been really gentle but thorough. There doesn't seem to be anywhere out of sight to patch test the black streak remover, tho, so I'm hesitating!

OP
OP
pamie

pamie

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
I'm a newbie
it is aluminium and yes its at the edge just above a trim
Pamie

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Sounds like water has got under the paint and is reacting with the aluminium where it might not have been primed or something. Rubbing the area with a small piece of emery paper and a touch up stick may sort it for you.

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
Autoglym super resin polish works brilliant .....In fact I'm just done mine again this morning as I'm off gallivanting tommorrow

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I just use the normal Turtle wax polish, but once a year I give the cab a once over with BRASSO.
Yeh! I know shock horror!!!

You don't power rub the Brasso! you use it the same as your normal polish.
It gets rid of the ingrained dirt you cant see, yet, affects your overall finish.
Afte,r you apply a coat of a decent WAX polish.

Think it's BS? Wash and polish your M/H using a normal polish, Pick an area, say your windscreen pillar, take a CLEAN cloth, rub the brasso into the pillar, now look at the dirt on your cloth !

NOTE!!! I say CAB!!! not the whole goddamn works!

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
I just use the normal Turtle wax polish, but once a year I give the cab a once over with BRASSO.
Yeh! I know shock horror!!!

You don't power rub the Brasso! you use it the same as your normal polish.
It gets rid of the ingrained dirt you cant see, yet, affects your overall finish.
Afte,r you apply a coat of a decent WAX polish.

Think it's BS? Wash and polish your M/H using a normal polish, Pick an area, say your windscreen pillar, take a CLEAN cloth, rub the brasso into the pillar, now look at the dirt on your cloth !

NOTE!!! I say CAB!!! not the whole goddamn works!
Yeah but why would you when t cut does the same job and is designed for paint not metal

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Yeah but why would you when t cut does the same job and is designed for paint not metal

I was told once that they are both the same product in different packaging!

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
I was told once that they are both the same product in different packaging!
Well it don't look the same or smell the same that's for sure

Don't think it would do any good long term either il stick with what I know works ......my paintwork like a mirror :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
MMM test a few polishes in the current edition. Autoglym came out top by a significant margin. There were a couple of polishes which were almost as good but they were more expensive.

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
If you've time and inclination, then a full wash with something like Meguiars shampoo, rinse well. Use a grit guard in the bottom of your bucket for your sponge. Use another bucket to rinse the sponge before applying it back to the paint. Dry thoroughly. Clay bar using Meguiars spray detailer. You may need a paint restorer first or Autoglym polish. Better using a rotary polisher. And then, finally, a good coat or two of good wax. Autoglym HD wax is ideal.

Of course, the above may not be as thorough as you'd wish for. So a good hose down with a sponge, plenty of water and shampoo and All Purpose Cleaner for the stubborn bits. Dry. Polish with Autoglym and open a bottle of wine to congratulate yourself.

Ooh, forgot. Then you've got the windows, black trim and the tyres to do. If you've stainless steel hubcaps, then those need doing with Solvol Autosol. ;)

It's hard work. I find it immensely rewarding and do it often. But I gather I'm in a minority group here.:LOL:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Tried it with T cut, nowhere near the cleansing that Brasso has for ingrained dirt.

Each to their own

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
If you've time and inclination, then a full wash with something like Meguiars shampoo, rinse well. Use a grit guard in the bottom of your bucket for your sponge. Use another bucket to rinse the sponge before applying it back to the paint. Dry thoroughly. Clay bar using Meguiars spray detailer. You may need a paint restorer first or Autoglym polish. Better using a rotary polisher. And then, finally, a good coat or two of good wax. Autoglym HD wax is ideal.

Of course, the above may not be as thorough as you'd wish for. So a good hose down with a sponge, plenty of water and shampoo and All Purpose Cleaner for the stubborn bits. Dry. Polish with Autoglym and open a bottle of wine to congratulate yourself.

Ooh, forgot. Then you've got the windows, black trim and the tyres to do. If you've stainless steel hubcaps, then those need doing with Solvol Autosol. ;)

It's hard work. I find it immensely rewarding and do it often. But I gather I'm in a minority group here.:LOL:
I'm in that same group then :) mine is fully polished and valeted once a month

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back