Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
Hi jdk62 (catchy name that!) :D

Thanks to Robert for the link above. That's great if you're using a phone, but if you're using a bigger screen you may have better luck simply using britstops.com.

Steve :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We did our first Britstop last weekend. the Drake had been reluctant before but we had a great stay at stop 832, were made very welcome and had a fabulous meal. The hosts said that the scheme was very successful as far as they were concerned which was good to hear.

We'll be Britstopping again in the future for sure!

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hi jdk62 (catchy name that!) :D

Thanks to Robert for the link above.

Steve :Smile:

Hi Steve
I was wondering, how do users manage with emptying and filling tanks?
I understand that hosts don't provide this?
Also is it possible to pay the host for elec ?
Regards
Robert

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
We've used a few this past 3 weeks and never had a problem - most places are amenable to anything if you ask!
.......also helps if you've spent a few quid with them - which we inevitably do!!!!
...........,costing me a bloody fortune lol!

If you are polite and friendly nothing it seems is too much trouble. I give the scheme a big thumbs up!

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Hi Steve
Regards
Robert
Some do, you just have to look for them. :cool:

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Another vote for britstops, we've had some wonderful nights.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Hi Steve
Regards
Robert

As it was just for one night then the fill and empty of tanks wasn't a problem for us. We were home the day we left and emptied the tanks as normal at home. If we had needed to fill and empty we would have used a watering can for filling and a bucket for emptying at a place where this was possible. If desperate for drinking water you can always buy a 5 litre bottle at Tesco.

Some Britstops do have facilities, the one we stayed didn't and they warned us about that when I phoned to make sure we would be welcome. I like to phone in advance and some places ask you to do so.

Some places have EHU but many don't. If there is EHU expect to pay for it.

The book and the email updates tell you what is available, or rather what the hosts have listed as available.

Britstops are not campsites. You are a guest not a customer and although you will probably spend money in the shop or pub or whatever this is not compulsory. Greet your hosts when you arrive, say farewell when you leave and make sure all is left as you found it.

Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
We use Britstops a lot. Just recently we were in Scotland and used 3 Britstops all of them very good but would thoroughly recommend visiting Hamish the famous Highland Bull at 805 and also 820 which is beside a very pretty lock. On our way home we stayed overnight at 060 in Wiltshire and met up with some other motorhomers from Liverpool and spent a lovely evening in the pub talking about motorhoming. We like to wander about the country and go where we fancy and Britstops mean we can do this as you dont have to book. We So far every one we have used has been good and we have been made very welcome even if we dont spend any money (which is rare cos mostly we use pubs and have a little bevie or two!!). We think it's great value.

buckby

Free Member
Sep 6, 2013
nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
We used britstops and stopped at a pub near Taunton had a really good night the only thing I didn't like was buying it in October at Newark show and then being emailed in the January asking us to renew for the next year worked out at £20.00 for 2 months other than that a good idea.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I have not used Britstops but would it not be cheaper and more convenient to use CL's ?

They all have water and waste and are surely cheaper than a meal and a few drinks.

Don't shoot me :rolleyes:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
You don't have to buy a meal, or indeed anything. Most people do but it's not compulsory.

We enjoyed our Britstop a couple of hours north of here, handy for if we are going right after work..... tanks are already fully enough or empty as appropriate so that's not a problem. If we want to cook in the van we can but if we don't there are bar meals. A drink in the bar is a nice way to relax at the start of the time away, something we wouldn't do at home.

It wouldn't suit everyone but we enjoyed it. Wouldn't do it every night though.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I agree, but is it not a bit like France Passion? You end up either feeling obliged to buy something or maybe get slightly pressurisd to buy something.

The theory is good but let's face it, there's 'owt fer nowt' and commerce is the driving force behind the scheme.

So after spending a few quid you still have to solve the problem of water and toilet etc.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I think Britstops is a great idea. Supporting local British businesses whilst travelling through our great county

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I agree, but is it not a bit like France Passion? You end up either feeling obliged to buy something or maybe get slightly pressurisd to buy something.

The theory is good but let's face it, there's 'owt fer nowt' and commerce is the driving force behind the scheme.

So after spending a few quid you still have to solve the problem of water and toilet etc.

Only stopped at the one and the "pressure" consisted of "Sorry but if you were wanting a meal there isn't a free table tonight, we get very booked up." when we phoned to ask if there was space for the van. We had a drink in the bar and were made very welcome, the food smelled so good we did have a bar meal but there was no pressure. Some stops do have water and some have toilets (we used the bar loos before retiring) but as the van is self-contained it doesn't matter to us.

Generally you can empty a cassette in a public loo if you are discrete and make sure you leave it at least as clean as you found it. There is also nearly always water available but you might have to search for it (under the sinks for example) as the cleaners need to fill a bucket. If worst comes to worst you can always....... ask! Most people will let you fill a watering can and / or kettle if you ask very nicely.

It's sort of wild camping with permission!

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I have not used Britstops but would it not be cheaper and more convenient to use CL's ?

They all have water and waste and are surely cheaper than a meal and a few drinks.

Don't shoot me :rolleyes:
As with nearly every other question on here, the correct answer is 'It all depends....'

If your plan for the evening was a nice meal in the pub, then it's a win-win situation. You spend the same in the pub as you would anyway & save on the campsite fee. And there are no worries getting back to the campsite.

If the plan for the next night is to pitch up somewhere nice, relax & have a leisurely meal in the van, then a decent CL or CS is the better answer that day - this time with the benefit of fresh water & grey & black dump, which may or may not have been available at the pub.

The next Britstop might be a farm shop. Plenty of people like to shop in farm shops when away, so if it comes with free overnight parking, another bonus. It might only be through Britstops that they found the pub or the farm shop in the first place.

A tour using just Britstop locations is perfectly possible, but I suspect most people intersperse them with sites and/or with wild camping.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Puddleduck and TheCaller..........

I like the way you have succinctly put across your reasoning and I fully agree.

I was just playing devils advocate. I think when the intention is to eat or drink or buy from a farm shop then they work well. I just don't believe they are either free or cheap.

:)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Only stopped at the one and the "pressure" consisted of "Sorry but if you were wanting a meal there isn't a free table tonight, we get very booked up." when we phoned to ask if there was space for the van. We had a drink in the bar and were made very welcome, the food smelled so good we did have a bar meal but there was no pressure. Some stops do have water and some have toilets (we used the bar loos before retiring) but as the van is self-contained it doesn't matter to us.

Generally you can empty a cassette in a public loo if you are discrete and make sure you leave it at least as clean as you found it. There is also nearly always water available but you might have to search for it (under the sinks for example) as the cleaners need to fill a bucket. If worst comes to worst you can always....... ask! Most people will let you fill a watering can and / or kettle if you ask very nicely.

It's sort of wild camping with permission!
Could I please ask that before anyone uses a public loo for cassette emptying they ensure that it will not cause any problems. There have been various forum posts in the past highlighting how chemicals might upset some systems. Also, for the parking web site I have written to all water companies asking about daytime parking for motorhomes at their leisure sites. I recently received a reply from one containing the following:
Our teams tell me that sadly we have experienced issues with larger vans using toilet blocks on car parks to empty sanitary tanks as well as problems with litter. If we advertised our car parks more clearly, this activity could possibly increase. There would be an associated cost with managing this activity too. Ultimately, whilst we do what we can to encourage recreational use of our site, this isn’t our prime aim and we are not set up for it.
Like it or not, if people upset owners of loos available for public use by emptying cassettes then the likely outcome is the banning of motorhome parking anywhere near them.

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We have used Britstops quite a bit and found it a great scheme.

The hosts have plenty of unused space in their car parks, the motorhomers are looking for somewhere to park up overnight. If the guests spend some money then its income the hosts would not have had for zero outlay. Everybody wins.

Paul

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Wouldn't it be cool if Britstops was available as an App with the ability to filter sites by the facilities available (water, ehu, etc ) with a browsable map.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back