Free Member
Aug 11, 2009
Forest of Dean, Glos, France and Spain
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi All.
I'm planning our route to Spain in December and quite fancy going down via Pamplona, Zaragoza then down to Valencia, we came back this picturesque route in March of this year and had a few snow flurries but does anyone have experience of this route in December snow wise?

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi
Not done it myself but friends of ours from Aberdeen come that way, not talked about bad weather, others have had to come through France due to ferry diversions at sea, and had snow all the way, we go to Bilboa on the 4th Jan not had any probs but we have seen snow at the sides of the road and snowploughs parked up and the road perfectly clear. Pete

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
Hi All.
I'm planning our route to Spain in December and quite fancy going down via Pamplona, Zaragoza then down to Valencia, we came back this picturesque route in March of this year and had a few snow flurries but does anyone have experience of this route in December snow wise?

Hi Greygit, No problems, if your thinking of driving down through France the Route Nationals are well maintained and free from heavy goods vehicles,and some nice scenery, check out on the forum for aires;
To cross the Pyrenees you will be traveling with HGVs but the roads will be kept clear.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
We have used this route in early December for the last two years without any problems.
Brisey.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Greetings,

We've done the route from Calais to Valencia at the beginning of February (and returned from Valencia at the end of November and in March) so I suppose they're the same in terms of 'Time of year'.

I recall setting off from Calais at 7.00am in Jan. in a snowstorm and watching cars doing pirouettes on the motorway between Calais and Bolougne. Not a snow plough in sight, apparently because it was a Saturday???.

We've got pictures of the front of our (cara)van covered in snow, dropping down from the plateau around Haro towards Bilbao in March. In fact I had to drop the Butane bottle into a bucket of hot water to get it to 'gas' so we could have a cuppa.

I would also point out that quite well into the journey in Spain, about 100 miles out from Valencia, the road is an altitude of 3850 feet so you have to be prepared for inclement white wet stuff. In fact on the side of the road there are barriers off on the left (west) to prevent the snow from drifting.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Driven Benidorm to Zaragoza, the road is ok, but its boring, Zaragoza is a strange place, I think Top Gear did a prog about a town/region they built and no one lives there, a disaster.

Zaragoza aire was ok, besides the travellers had taken over all the pitches and were using the free electric..

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Because I cant spell I use auto correct, problem is its worse sometimes. :)

Don't worry about it, it catches us all out sometimes. I've often posted that we have insurgence with Safeguard.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back