Cracked shower tray (1 Viewer)

Oct 13, 2013
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 120
Exp
Since 1988
I've got an Elddis 120 Autoquest and the shower tray has cracked; actually it now has several cracks! Anyone had such problems? I'd like to replace it with a better one if that's possible, neither the wife or I are particularly heavy. Doesn't look to be that difficult a job, but any tips would be useful.

Many thanks,

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
If its a fairly square one I guess sourcing a replacement should be quite easy

It's if it's an awkward shape it may be a problem .....but depending on your diy skills it's easy to remove the tray and skim the underside of it with fibreglass

And what ever you do don't use it for a shower whilst cracked or you'll end up with damp issues on the floor beneath

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
Just had mine repaired using plastic welding and then a SPEEDCOAT treatment it looks fantastic

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
Hi Pete, I replaced mine, Elddis 140 with a domestic high density foam back with acrylic top. It is light and easy to cut, While I was at it I clad the walls with 3mm acrylic sheeting mini tile effect, see below and also the B$&&xy stupid amateur pathetic balls up of a waste exit which causes all the grief.
DSC_3791.JPG
DSC_3865.JPG

OP
OP
Dolomite Pete
Oct 13, 2013
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 120
Exp
Since 1988
Thanks for the info; what an excellent job you did. You're right about that waste too!! I'll get looking.

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Funster No
MH
Exp
still in nappies
Got the shower tray from Wickes £56, as I remember, unfortunately they are low profile only. I'd have liked a deeper one but made as good a job as I could with the mastic sealing round the edges. The acrylic sheeting is blooming expensive, got the corner profiles to slot it into. WATCH your cutting of the sheets, mistakes could mean getting another sheet. I needed two and had very little waste. Nice little project for you. Oh yes, the waste was a bit of a job to get right. I laid a new floor with 9mm (half inch in old money) marine ply, and the actual waste I did a bit of bodging, but it is now bombproof and works well.
DSC_3867.JPG

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
Caravan medic from Milton Keynes he,s a mobile guy . My tray was badly cracked took him about 4 hours
Got nasty crack in my shower tray, Kontiki 645, do you have the detail of this guy, please, tia

OP
OP
Dolomite Pete
Oct 13, 2013
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 120
Exp
Since 1988
Many thanks all, particularly Moodybrook; I intend to do the same as you have. I think Hilldweller has hit the nail on the head with his comment about the base. I want to get the old tray out and do a proper job. Thanks for all the excellent tips.

OP
OP
Dolomite Pete
Oct 13, 2013
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 120
Exp
Since 1988
Where did you you get the tile effect acrylic sheets for the wall? Presumably you had to trim the sides of the shower tray to fit it in?

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Funster No
MH
Exp
still in nappies
Sheets of a similar nature, I got them locally from a plumbers merchant. who stocked it and they also got my internal corners, matt stainless steel.
http://www.multipanel.uk.com/white-galaxy-tile-effect-wall-panel---embossed-761-p.asp

I bought a hand saw to cut the laminate and it blunted very quickly needed to buy another. If it isn't sharp it flaked the edges of the cut pieces. It wouldn't really matter as the internal corners and your mastic would hide it, just a matter of principle. For my window(removed the Seitz blind unit completely) I found that the rubber window surround allowed it to fit over the 3mm sheet no bother, did the windscreen string trick, ie wound a thick string behind the rubber then with sheet close up pulled the string allowing the rubber to fit over the sheet.
I allowed a fair bit extra then slipped the sheeting down the side of the toilet benching. Similarly the wash stand and over cabinet allowed the 3mm to slip along each side. Measure , measure, measure !!

Yes the tray is 760mm square I cut a bit off each side to keep it symetrical. Did it on a bench saw you could ask a joiners shop to do it for you. It won't damage their blade. Cut the corner and some of the foam away to let your hot and cold pipes up and also along the edge, chamfer off some of the foam for the pipes running along the back wall, I used bread knife (don't let the boss catch you though). One awkward bit was under the edge of the toilet bench, above the shower tray you need to fit a strip of laminate I used short pieces of the internal corners at each side packing behind it with piece of wood to fit. While I was doing it all I removed the door. To finish off I got two telescopic shower rails used a plastic shower curtain cut in two bits to cover the door entry and a bit for the other side to protect the Seitz blind. fixing the bottoms with sticky backed velcro to prevent curtain "attacks".
Have fun, you will be pleased when you are finished :)

Styx

Free Member
May 1, 2010
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Sheets of a similar nature, I got them locally from a plumbers merchant. who stocked it and they also got my internal corners, matt stainless steel.
http://www.multipanel.uk.com/white-galaxy-tile-effect-wall-panel---embossed-761-p.asp

I bought a hand saw to cut the laminate and it blunted very quickly needed to buy another. If it isn't sharp it flaked the edges of the cut pieces. It wouldn't really matter as the internal corners and your mastic would hide it, just a matter of principle.... :)

I have similar panels in my shower at home and, when the chap was cutting it, he stuck a strip of masking tape on the cut line - no flaking/splintering of the edges at all :)

You've done an excellent job, by the way - very impressed (y)

OP
OP
Dolomite Pete
Oct 13, 2013
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 120
Exp
Since 1988
Many thanks Moodybrook. I have access to a bench saw, and feel a lot more confident to do the job having read your posts. Just hope mine turns out as well as yours!

Thanks all.

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Funster No
MH
Exp
still in nappies
I should have asked if yours is the same layout as mine ?
You'll be fine, If you have a saw then you will have done a few projects before, actually once you have the tray out, you will be past the point of no return and will just have to get on and finish the job. :whistle:

If yours is the same layout, I found that the outside wall was too complicated to do as a one'r. I did a chunk to go as far up as above the window(above where Seitz blind refixes). I got a length of 180 degree edge to edge joining profile then did the top bit, (my ceiling sloped in two directions, neither level ! ) You will see the horizontal joining in the photo above that shows the shower head.
I didn't do a complete all round shower curtain as you can't stop curtain attacks. I as above explanation and after showering have to towel dry the toilet seat and bench etc. The laminate sheets I mini dolloped adhesive mastic and pressed it into position, it ain't going anywhere !! Apart from where I take the van. :) I also loaded the internal corner profiles with clear mastic after I was satisfied with the dry fit. Likewise, water isn't getting through there in a hurry ! If your bench is tight to the wall, I did ease mine a bit using a small angle grinder with a thin cutting blade(shh I took the guard off :unsure:) hanging on tight and going very easy, just enough to allow the 3mm sheet to slip past it. You may not need to do this, actually better if you don't.
If I think of anything else that is crucial I will add to the post. (y)(y)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
to do the job correctly, the toilet and sink need removing to replace the shower tray. that way when they are refitted, they can be sealed easily and allow for removal for maintenance

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Funster No
MH
Exp
still in nappies
to do the job correctly, the toilet and sink need removing to replace the shower tray. that way when they are refitted, they can be sealed easily and allow for removal for maintenance

Yep, stand and tap and mixer for the shower, sink and vanity unit took them out, obviously the toilet roll holder and towel ring, for ease of measuring and fitting the various pieces of laminate sheeting, didn't feel I needed, and didn't remove the toilet ??

The tray was such a piece of crap that it came out dead easy. :whistle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back