Motorhome Height (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I started a thread today regarding C1 licence, while investigating DVLA rules I found this regarding motorhome heights

"There’s no height limit, but if the motorhome is over 3 metres tall you must have a notice showing the height where the driver can see it."

Thanks to guidance by 2 quick replies I now know I am possibly (probably) breaking the law by not displaying the overall height of our MH in full view of the driver

Our MH is 2.9 overall, (not sure if that is to roof rail or top of skylights) but we have added a sat dome which adds about 350mm, so now over the limit

I thought this was worthy of a new thread in case any others are also unaware of this law

It was something I always intended to do, but will be sourcing one this weekend or certainly before driving next

David

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
I didn't know it was a legal requirement but I have had a small laminated card with length, width and height of the MH stuck beside the interior mirror for years - I kept forgetting the dimensions, particularly the height when I saw signs for low bridges

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
I thought everyone did that nowadays I've a card with height , width, length and tyre pressures behind sun visor

Overall height in manual should be to the highest point ...mine is to tip of status ariel

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
following courtesy of vwalan (thanks again from me)

yes you are breaking the law . there are sizes that the sign must be as well.
it became law in oct 97. visit a good truck shop they have the signs for sale or might give you one if your lucky.
40mm letters if in feet inches
if both imp and metric then they must not differ by more than 50mm.
but just get a proper sign .
vwalan:thumb:

back to my words again, I am not sure that 'behind the visor' counts as visible

can of worms time now, not meaning to split hairs, but if the size is defined you can bet the position of the notice is as well

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
My measurements are on the inside of the Sun visor, courtesy of previous owner

you will not convince many of us that your height is still the same as when you bought it :D

thinking about that further, if you have air suspension do you have to quote the maximum height you could achieve

more worms for the can :doh:

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
Just a thought - if it became law in Oct 97, surely all dealers would have to have provided the appropriate sign at time of purchase. Obviously if the owner then adds something that increases the height then that is their lookout.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Just a thought - if it became law in Oct 97, surely all dealers would have to have provided the appropriate sign at time of purchase. Obviously if the owner then adds something that increases the height then that is their lookout.

sounds a good logic, I suspect there are very few MH's over 3m as they leave the factory, but in my case it is the add on that has done it, but by the same adage you could say the fitter of the sat dome should at least advise if not provide a sign

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
its supposed to be in view of the driver .
i have never heard of anyone being pulled for it mind . mine is on the side of the sunvisor you see . it was already there i left it . but corrected the height to allow for the trailer . my truck was a tipper when i first got it .
but visit a truck sales garage . you might be lucky and they give you a proper height sign .

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
following courtesy of vwalan (thanks again from me)

yes you are breaking the law . there are sizes that the sign must be as well.
it became law in oct 97. visit a good truck shop they have the signs for sale or might give you one if your lucky.
40mm letters if in feet inches
if both imp and metric then they must not differ by more than 50mm.
but just get a proper sign .
vwalan:thumb:

back to my words again, I am not sure that 'behind the visor' counts as visible

can of worms time now, not meaning to split hairs, but if the size is defined you can bet the position of the notice is as well
I'm okay my maximum height is 2750mm

May 21, 2012
forest of dean
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2012
Ive also got height, length and width on the visor curtesy of the previous owner. What I dont know is that its correct! Maybe we should all get our tapemeasures out.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i,m ok as my trailer is actually under 3mtr . but its handy having the height in case anyone else is driving it .

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
It looks a lot bigger in the Avatar photo (y)
heres a pic next to an early merc coach built .
just under 3mtr, 7ft 6ins wide .and 10 mtr long .
many are amazed when they see it in real life .
it sneaks in narrow and low places easily .
more manouverable than a 27 ft long rigid by far.
also can jacknife turn it on a normal two lane road .
its only 9 inches longer than a ten foot caravan behind my old mazda bongo.
yet can be a 7 seater vehicle . that fits in a car space if solo . fits in two car spaces if connected .

Attachments

• Morocco 2008-2009 002.jpg
    Morocco 2008-2009 002.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 68

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
There was a board to the right of the dash with the height and width marked on it in mine when I bought as the last owner had Alzheimer's and kept forgetting it. :Eeek:

Hymie.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
There was a board to the right of the dash with the height and width marked on it in mine when I bought as the last owner had Alzheimer's and kept forgetting it. :Eeek:

Hymie.

or just possibly with that box on top it is over 3m tall? :D

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Our Comanche is 3030mm high, as stated in the EC Certificate of Conformity, but did not come with a height indicator fitted. It has one that I put in myself.
Another black mark for Auto-Trail ?

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
The requirements for height markers relate to goods vehicles in C&U Regs.
I don't recall reference to motor caravans.
When these things rear their heads they usually generate more conjecture than fact.
It would be worth checking it out properly, getting a definitive answer from VOSA.
That's a proper answer, not just guesswork or what "my mate" says.
I'm going to take some convincing the height marker rule applies.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Our Hymer has a plastic 'see through' sticker. top left of the windscreen..(LHD). It gives height, length, width, ground clearance, and all the loaded, unloaded weights. Must have been put in on production I guess.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
When these things rear their heads they usually generate more conjecture than fact.
It would be worth checking it out properly, getting a definitive answer from VOSA.
you may very well be right as i come from the transport industry i tend to think trucks .
but i think for the sake of a sticker or sign its a good thing to have .
better safe than sorry.
mind lots have changed over the years didnt need hgv for campers etc at one time .
that opens another old debate .
you do have to laugh really .

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I started a thread today regarding C1 licence, while investigating DVLA rules I found this regarding motorhome heights

"There’s no height limit, but if the motorhome is over 3 metres tall you must have a notice showing the height where the driver can see it."

Thanks to guidance by 2 quick replies I now know I am possibly (probably) breaking the law by not displaying the overall height of our MH in full view of the driver

Our MH is 2.9 overall, (not sure if that is to roof rail or top of skylights) but we have added a sat dome which adds about 350mm, so now over the limit

I thought this was worthy of a new thread in case any others are also unaware of this law

It was something I always intended to do, but will be sourcing one this weekend or certainly before driving next

David

https://www.gov.uk/driving-motorhome

I am not too sure who out trumps who on this, but my red text in post 1 was lifted from a dvla.gov web site in link above

I would hate to get a fine on a technicality, so will be paying safe

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
David,
This isn't about who trumps who, mate.
DVLA are a Licensing Authority, nothing more.
For advise on Construction and Use Regulations VOSA is the place to get advice from.
They, after all, will be the enforcing agency.
I still have a nagging feeling that the info on the DVLA page may have been lifted from info relating to goods vehicles.
Could be wrong, but it nags for some reason.

In many cases driving licence requirements get mixed up with vehicle requirements.
We have, for instance, had discussions as to whether drivers of MHs over 3500 kg MGW need the ridiculous Driver CPC, etc.
(They don't).

If it bothers you, it's still worth writing to VOSA (not speaking to an examiner or cop at the roadside) for a definitive interpretation of C&U Regs regarding motor caravans, which is the term to use if you contact them.
There is no such thing as a motorhome, it's just a term we like to use.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
David,
This isn't about who trumps who, mate.
DVLA are a Licensing Authority, nothing more.
For advise on Construction and Use Regulations VOSA is the place to get advice from.
They, after all, will be the enforcing agency.
I still have a nagging feeling that the info on the DVLA page may have been lifted from info relating to goods vehicles.
Could be wrong, but it nags for some reason.

In many cases driving licence requirements get mixed up with vehicle requirements.
We have, for instance, had discussions as to whether drivers of MHs over 3500 kg MGW need the ridiculous Driver CPC, etc.
(They don't).

If it bothers you, it's still worth writing to VOSA (not speaking to an examiner or cop at the roadside) for a definitive interpretation of C&U Regs regarding motor caravans, which is the term to use if you contact them.
There is no such thing as a motorhome, it's just a term we like to use.

Thanks John, much appreciated

It makes sense to have it on display anyway, I have got a Dymo label maker and intend to put height in feet and inches and metric on both sides of my sun visor, the only 'breach' of the 'possible' law will be size for now (y)

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
David, if it is required, as I remember it:
It must be placed in the cab for the driver's info..........so who places it ?
Also, although most bridges etc. are marked in metres, it must be in feet and inches.
The above may have changed, it's about 3 years since I taught it.

Good idea to have it there, even so.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
When we changed MH's we had the sat dome fitted at the same time and immediately realised we were a good bit taller than our old MH, measured as best you can when the dome is in the middle and rounded!!

Came up with just under 3.3m, and have the figure 3.333 recurring stuck in my head, so giving myself at least 33mm :Eeek: free board

Like you have just said though I have been amazed at how many bridges on have feet and inches, with all the EEC bollox we have had to adopt how did that slip through??

Anyway I can't convert very well, so the notices in my MH are pretty much essential (albeit 18 months late) I do know we are just under 11' though for anybody very worried about me out on the road

Just need to make sure I put the same height on my labels, VWALAN says they must be within 50mm of each other (hopefully always printed with a safe margin)

That is probably something else. the height surely should include a tiny margin, or is that purely down to the driver to decide

Putting that lid back on the can of worms and going shopping :D

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi. there is a way round it as well the driver can be given a known route with no low bridges and must keep to the route.as to be in a written document , giving a route or alternative routes .
as said, authority at its best.
be nice if we could just use common sense . but as the law makers dont seem to have any it makes life more difficult than need be.
i use the transport managers&operators handbook . by david lowe . its about as good as we can get easily .
you do see them on ebay cheap. can be a bit old but usually not too much changes . they arent cheap to buy every year but a handy tool .

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Ours is 3.05m high - no signs/warnings installed by manufacturer or dealer.
Our insurers, Caravan Guard, give a handy sticker that can be filled in with dimensions / weight and stuck somewhere to be forgot ;)

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
As i said earlier I have a sticker with all dimensions etc on it behind visor.

But I do think people over think these things and go looking for problems

As far as the law is concerned I'd be inclined to think on the off chance that you were stopped etc that bringing any case to prosecution would be risky

If there's no sticker applied by manufacturer or converter and it isn't covered in any part of either a practical or theory test ....then how exactly is a driver to know their breaking the law

I think this more applies to commercial vehicles, hired vehicles, company vehicles etc where there could be a number of drivers of the vehicle.

Only one person drives my motorhome and that's me .....Therefore I know the height width length etc and don't really need to have them on the van ....i do simply because I saw it on someone else's and thought it was a good idea lol ..

I think if you spent time looking online you'd probably find a hundred stupid laws that no one knows about and no one bothers about them

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back