LIFE MEMBER
Jan 16, 2013
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2011
Is there a simple way to listen to radio four in France. Due to go on Monday and boss is getting withdrawal symptoms already

Thanks

Baz

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Well I live in the South West and could get it almost down to Bordeaux on MW albeit with a few birds chattering in the background ( Only way I can describe the sound) That was in my old Nissan Primera.
I can't work the new fangled stereo in the camper well enough to be able to say on that.
I also bought a DAB radio in the Uk not realising they don't work in France,doh!!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think you can still get Radio 4 on LW but you may need a good external aerial to pick up a signal.
Assuming you don't have a satellite system then the only alternative is the Internet, but you will need a good connection. BBC iplayer won't let you to access it from outside the UK but this site might be the solution : http://www.radioplayer.co.uk

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
As has been said LW is possible for a large part of central and northern France but obviously the signal gets weaker the further south you are and power cables cause interference.
I have never had a problem accessing the BBC radio via the internet throughout Europe but certain programmes such as live football commentaries are not available and because of copyright issues the music on desert island discs is restricted to about 15 seconds.
TV via the internet is a different matter and requires a little subterfuge.

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
I was in Spa Belgium and was listening to Radio 5 Live extra coverage of the F1 on my iPhone with the Radio Player App.

This app uses WiFi or 3G to connect. O2 have recently changed their roaming costs so £1.99 per day gets you UNLIMITED DATA for the day.

That's a great improvement on their old deal of 25Meg for £2.

Next year their are no roaming costs in Europe so you can connect and use your UK data package for data on 3G or 4G. 3 (three.co.uk) already have this in place in France.

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
To get it through the internet, get a VPN ( proxy server ), it will allow you to use the iplayer, skygo, and other catch up tv systems, it works by routing your connection through a UK server, so the systems think you are in the UK, can be used for American online TV services as well by selecting an American server. You can also connect multiple devices (y)
We use Hotspot Shield Elite.
http://www.hotspotshield.com/lp/vpn_elite_wm8/?gclid=CIT5rviRuMACFSKWtAodCF8AoA

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
BBC TV and Radio are different I think, apart from the obvious that one has pictures and the other doesn't. I believe listening to internet BBC radio in Europe doesn't have the same problems as iPlayer, which detects if you are not an upstanding British Citizen.

The web address for Radio 4 is: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_radio_four

If someone overseas at the moment wants to try this I would be interested to know if they can pick it up.

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
Have tried that link and keep getting.
The sound of silence
We're trying to play this station, but we're having problems. Apologies.

The station's stream may be broken, or there may be a mis-match between this stream, and your device.

Please click here to retry.

Reactions: DBK
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I think you can still get Radio 4 on LW but you may need a good external aerial to pick up a signal.
Assuming you don't have a satellite system then the only alternative is the Internet, but you will need a good connection. BBC iplayer won't let you to access it from outside the UK but this site might be the solution : http://www.radioplayer.co.uk

As said, BBC iplayer TV is not available in Europe, but BBC iplayer radio is available. There are serial internet radio players that will work in Europe and one that is pretty good is "Radioline" these work on a laptop or smartphone. There are several smartphone apps for radio either android or Apple.

greygit

Free Member
Aug 11, 2009
Forest of Dean, Glos, France and Spain
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Well I live in the South West and could get it almost down to Bordeaux on MW albeit with a few birds chattering in the background ( Only way I can describe the sound) That was in my old Nissan Primera.
I can't work the new fangled stereo in the camper well enough to be able to say on that.
I also bought a DAB radio in the Uk not realising they don't work in France,doh!!

I'm glad someone else has problems with the new radios ours is too clever by one and a half.

OP
OP
Dogeared

Dogeared

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 16, 2013
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2011
To get it through the internet, get a VPN ( proxy server ), it will allow you to use the iplayer, skygo, and other catch up tv systems, it works by routing your connection through a UK server, so the systems think you are in the UK, can be used for American online TV services as well by selecting an American server. You can also connect multiple devices (y)
We use Hotspot Shield Elite.
http://www.hotspotshield.com/lp/vpn_elite_wm8/?gclid=CIT5rviRuMACFSKWtAodCF8AoA

Does anyone know if this works with iPad Air, sounds pretty good.

Thanks

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
BBC TV and Radio are different I think, apart from the obvious that one has pictures and the other doesn't. I believe listening to internet BBC radio in Europe doesn't have the same problems as iPlayer, which detects if you are not an upstanding British Citizen.

The web address for Radio 4 is: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_radio_four

If someone overseas at the moment wants to try this I would be interested to know if they can pick it up.
Correct. Anyone, anywhere can listed to BBC radio programmes via the internet.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
If you have a satellite system you can get it all BBC digital radio stations on freesat for most of France. If using LW, don’t go during a Test Match unless you like cricket.

Dick

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Should have put in my first post,should you have Internet and an iPad or other ,there is a brilliant free app called Tunein Radio.
Will give all your favourite stations plus hours of fun when you are really bored or it's hissing down listening to some wierd stations worldwide.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
BBC Radio player, receiving loud and clear on French/Spanish border, works all over if you have good internet signal, I am using 3g currently. Download the app as the suggested link provides nothing. Happy listening and safe travelling.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
We use Tunein on our Android phablet. You can set the data rate to lowest and it uses MUCH LESS band with than the BBC app.

As it happens we have '3' feel at home for £15 for 30 days so no worry listening to Radio 4 here in France for the last three weeks :D

I thoroughly recommend the Tunein app :cool:

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Oh, I forgot to say it makes a real difference if you are in a 'weak' reception area because Tunein buffers much better than BBC

And, IMHO its a nicer app:rolleyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back