LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Sorry to bore everyone with tales of woe re our ford transit jumbo conversion. However, the worst has happened, we go away next week and the firm doing our van, (who have had it for 6 months), are now saying they can't fit in the loo we wanted. It looks like there's just enough room for a porta potti, we're naturally really upset. It's cost a fortune to have the van done, we were assured we could have the loo.

Our old campervan had a porta potti, however, it leaked all over the floor during a wild camp stint as we were going up hill and hadn't had anywhere to empty it, it wasn't very full. Are there any porta pottis AT ALL that can take some jiggling around in a van for a few hours without leaking ? We're down to the bare bones for making our holiday. :cry:

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
If you were assured you could have a proper loo then a proper loo you should have!
They are in breach of contract if they don't supply what was agreed.Tell them to stick the porta potti where the sun don't shine and see them in court.

Vlad

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
I hope they're doing it at a really ridiculously low price after taking six months ....and I'd be renegotiating payment if they don't do what they agreed to.

As for porta potti I always had the Thetford 165 I used with vw campers etc never had an issue with leaks if new the seals should be ok and doing their job

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
We didn't have a contract written out. Gentleman's agreement, really nice guy. It seems they've just put ours back and back while doing others. They knew we were desperate and had the shuttle booked for next Friday. Seems they've mis-measured as we had tonnes of space when the floor plan was drawn out. Really upset about the whole flippin thing. Looks like porta potti is all there's room for and that's looking tight ! The rest of the work is lovely. Thanks for the Thetford recommendation, the ex father in law recommended the same one earlier this evening. Will defo look into that one.

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Nope Sd. Wish we knew somewhere reliable and not too expensive to fit diesel heater now, then we'd just take the loo and pay someone else for the heating system ! We've conceded porta potti as unrealistic to think there's any other option sadly.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
sounds like a mismeasure saw them make the walls to narrow on the toilet. cant recall the minimum space for a swivel bowl cassette loo, but its pretty narrow
problem is that they may have made and fitted the rest of the furniture to fit whats there now, so too late to change
c200cs.jpg

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Yep fitted eveything, including the bed they said we could have as huge due to amount of room !! I've jotted those dimensions down, thanx very much for that. I've also looked at the Thetford Excellence with electronic flush, tho to be honest, there's not much in it size-wise, just 50mm depth and width. Will ring them in the morning............. will keep posted !!

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
I find it strange that if they have had the van for six months and have only just found out that they can't fit the toilet. Surely the cut out and access for the cassette should have been one of the first things during fitting out.

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
I find it strange that if they have had the van for six months and have only just found out that they can't fit the toilet. Surely the cut out and access for the cassette should have been one of the first things during fitting out.
That's what hubby said, they really shld have done the bed last as that takes up the back space to the doors and could have had remaining space after everything else. He'd drawn out the loo area as being adequate !

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
That's what I thought not to mention plumbing , wiring etc .

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
That's what I thought not to mention plumbing , wiring etc .
Been a disappointing shambles thoughout Tambo. Currently wishing we hadn't undertaken the whole sorry project. As I said earlier, the van is really lovely, great workmanship, but dreadful organisation. Hubby ringing him today to opt for the Thetford Excellence, as that has a base plate to screw into floor, hence good, sturdy loo. No room for corner sink now, so I've said we'll have a drop down shelf behind the loo so we can at least have a bowl of water on it for a scrub down. This shld save space enough to allow a functional loo cubicle. Not what we wanted but will do rather than none. Ringing him as we speak :( Not even doing heating fore we go !

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Sounds like a nightmare bug hopefully you'll get a positive outcome.

Projects rarely run completely smooth but as i said before if you don't get what you agreed on at start then fee renegotiation is a must .....its all very well him being a nice guy etc but he can't expect to charge the original fee if he doesn't deliver

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back