sueone

Free Member
Aug 2, 2014
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2013
Hello. I'm hoping to make a trip up to Scotland later this year . Does anyone know of a suitable overnight (free!!) stop close to Whitby? Thanks.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
There is a car park on the A169 its on the left at the top of Blue Bank before you drop down in to Sleights which is a couple of miles out of Whitby.

However, be careful around Whitby as Scarborough Borough Council are anti-motorhomes !

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Hi sueone, depending how big your M/h is, there are spots on the moors above Whitby. (I take it as you specifically Whitby, you are taking the coastal route up, as opposed to A19 or A1(M) )
I know there are some large-ish layby's on the road heading out of Hutton-Le-Hole, up onto Blakey Ridge, - there's the Lion ph up there with a large car park who, may be approachable to you stopping there overnight.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Hi sueone, depending how big your M/h is, there are spots on the moors above Whitby. (I take it as you specifically Whitby, you are taking the coastal route up, as opposed to A19 or A1(M) )
I know there are some large-ish layby's on the road heading out of Hutton-Le-Hole, up onto Blakey Ridge, - there's the Lion ph up there with a large car park who, may be approachable to you stopping there overnight.

They are definitely approachable.
Stayed there myself on more than one occasion

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
They are definitely approachable.
Stayed there myself on more than one occasion

Thought they might be, been a while since I was in there, but remember it to be a good pub; (well out of tourist season, anyways :))
Use to walk up to it when I ran the youth hostel in Westerdale

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Thought they might be, been a while since I was in there, but remember it to be a good pub; (well out of tourist season, anyways :))
Use to walk up to it when I ran the youth hostel in Westerdale

The food is still brilliant but it gets crowded in peak holiday season.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Hi sueone,
We had a couple of nights just off the main road between Scarborough and Whitby,it's 9 miles out of Whitby heading towards Scarborough on the right hand side,it's a slip road off to your right,you can't really miss it if you clock your mileage out of Whitby,it's nice&quiet overnight a bit remote but who cares,it's a spot used regularly by local motor homers,so you probably won't be alone there,at 7am a mobile snack bar arrives and sets up cos truckers pull in for acuppa and butty,well worth finding,your only other option is on the harbour car park opposite the co-op car park but it'll cost you £6.50 for 24 hours parking,and I was assured by the council parking warden that as long you've got a valid 24 hour ticket there's no problem, because there's NO "no over- -night SLEEPING" restriction,I noticed someone suggested "blue bank car park" we were advised by local moto-
rcaravanners to avoid this spot at all costs,due to "VERY UNWELCOME ATTENTION" FROM LOCALS,also mentioned above,hope this helps you.GWYNTAXI

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
We have stayed overnight at blue bank and had no problem, unless it's windy, then it's a bit scary late at night

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
Ref; very unwelcome attention from locals,i have had any personal experience of this myself just passing on welcome advice from other genuine motorcaravanners who were just trying to be helpful,personally I see no point in asking for good advice and then ignoring it,so you have to make your own mind up on that one i'm afraid,your choice.

OP
OP
sueone

sueone

Free Member
Aug 2, 2014
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2013
Thank you one and all for your replies which I have only just seen. Have been down in dorset for the GDSF. Fab do as usual but oh boy what a pain to get in thru that mud. In the queue to our field for five hours. Had to be pulled out by tractor four times. Also no decent phone reception so could not go online. Will have to get this mobile internet stuff pinned down or how else can I stay in touch with fellow funsters whilst I'm on the road. .

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Ref; very unwelcome attention from locals,i have had any personal experience of this myself just passing on welcome advice from other genuine motorcaravanners who were just trying to be helpful,personally I see no point in asking for good advice and then ignoring it,so you have to make your own mind up on that one i'm afraid,your choice.

Blue bank, when I lived up there was quite well known as a local 'dogging' spot (although not known by that name then).......:cautious:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Blue bank, when I lived up there was quite well known as a local 'dogging' spot (although not known by that name then).......:cautious:

Oooer missus ! :blush:
That'll be why Ken likes the spot ;)

Joking aside,

If you don't mind putting your hand in your pocket , the CL behind the fox and rabbit is nice and very quiet , safe and cheap.
Hook up if wanted.
Plus the pub does excellent food and has nice real ale too.
http://www.foxandrabbit.co.uk/
Not the CCC at the side , ( more expensive) it's the farm around the back.
We stayed a couple of weeks ago for a night. It back right on to the edge of Dalby Forrest too. Great place to get lost with the dogs :rofl: Literally .

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
(snip)your only other option is on the harbour car park opposite the co-op car park but it'll cost you £6.50 for 24 hours parking,and I was assured by the council parking warden that as long you've got a valid 24 hour ticket there's no problem, because there's NO "no over- -night SLEEPING" restriction,(snip)
I don't know when you received that advice but assume that it is some years ago because things have changed in Whitby. Motorhomes are prohibited from using most car parks overnight and overnight habitation is banned in all Whitby council car parks.

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Contact the Inn on the moor at goathland , i spoke on the phone last year to the manager and he said no problem , no charge but it would be only fair to go in for a drink , the meals were good and sensibly priced , it is on the right as you enter the village from the whitby road , just up from the station behind Scrips Garage ....... we have also over nighted on the moor top on the road down to goathland and on the other road going to Beck Hole , but dont go down to beck hole in the mh unless you are quite small ,

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
but dont go down to beck hole in the mh unless you are quite small ,

:Eeek::Eeek:And this is VERY good advice, there is an 'interesting ':whistle::whistle: set of bends just past the pub, indeed it is the custom of beer garden dwellers, in the tourist months to lay bets on who will/ will not make it up and around them without crunching gears/ having a panic-y moment :eek::eek:

Jul 1, 2012
Nr Whitby
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
On & off since late70s
Agree with gwyntaxi. I live near Whitby and quite often see motorhomes overnighting in 'marina Back' carpark. I have also asked the parking attendant and got a similar answer. That was just over 2 weeks ago.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Agree with gwyntaxi. I live near Whitby and quite often see motorhomes overnighting in 'marina Back' carpark. I have also asked the parking attendant and got a similar answer. That was just over 2 weeks ago.
Strange. The official council policy is
Suitable for Motorhomes/ Caravans
No

Overnight sleeping No sleeping or overnight camping

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Goth weekend is going to be interesting as most campsites are only open from 1st March to 31st October and Goth is 31oct to 2nd Nov so where can poeple,
" camp " ? ,

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Thats ok but how do you get into whitby , if you take the mh where do you park it , coach park at the north cliff has goth traders and coaches parked only other place mh are allowed to park is behind the abbey , ok if you are fit ...and quick to get into the parking area as coaches park there , also goth weekend in whitby is very busy with cars parked for the weekend ,
The local shops want the mh,s to come to whitby but the council do not !,

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I don't think it's really true that the council don't want MHs. The proposal a couple of years ago to allow overnighting in car parks was actually put forward by a councillor who has an interest in a caravan site. The problem which prevented it was a long standing planning policy which had stopped a number of private caravan site applications being passed. If the council had applied different conditions to itself there would probably have been legal actions mounted so not in the public interest.

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I know Graham is well informed on the Whitby problems and as you say it was proposed a few years ago but the parking problem still persists and is getting worse becaues of all the new no mh signs / parking / sleeping / camping etc , and also the reduction of parking bay sizes in the harbour car park ,

The parking warden will be issued with running shoes next ......lol

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
I don't know when you received that advice but assume that it is some years ago because things have changed in Whitby. Motorhomes are prohibited from using most car parks overnight and overnight habitation is banned in all Whitby council car parks.
Sorry about the very delayed reply,as I've been away quite a lot these past couple of months hardly spent any time at home this year, I feel the information I gave to be quite reliable as I was given that information in JUNE OF THIS YEAR when I stayed there overnight myself,after I actually asked and had it confirmed that I was entitled to be parked overnight and for 24 hours the same as any other vehicle,the trouble is some people just don't know what or how to ask,without actually implying that they are actually intending to camp,the same people have buggered it all up for the rest of us,as they don't realise that the entitlement to 24 hour PARKING does not entitle a person, in a car park , especially such a nicely located car park such as the one on the quayside opposite the Co-op in WHITBY, to put out chairs, table,etc, and be there for days or even weeks on end OBVIOUSLY CAMPING,this is why motor homes are frowned upon especially in Whitby.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Very unhelpful if there is a difference between the official policy and what parking wardens are advising. Also unhelpful if people camp when only parking is allowed - it tends to encourage the use of height barriers :(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back