pamie

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi we have been caravaners for years staying same place for two weeks planned even down to ordering the morning paper, now we have our MH (Hobby 750) we have only been in it for a few w/ends locally to try it out, in sept we plan to be adventurous just go for two weeks somerset devon cornwall just one starting point water row in somerset (not booked) we have C&CC cards only used them once, just us two and two dogs going, we are not up to going wild camping not for a long time, we are finding the thought of doing this a little scary as we are not young anymore so any suggestions on where to go are we going to come accross problems like you can't stay just one night or other, we dont want anywhere grotty we have not waited all this time to get a MH then hate it or be put off so HELP-----i dont want to start planning two weeks of touring ---
pamie

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Ross Park at Ipplepen just outside Newton Abbot takes some beating especially if you have dogs, huge enclosed field for exercising them and a hut with a grooming table, shower etc also a very well kept site would advise booking though

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/ thousands to choose from. If a bit nervous try some of the bigger sites, although can be dearer, have all the facilities until you find your feet. hidden valley is a good one http://www.hiddenvalleypark.com/ but as I said there are so many to choose from. Use the advanced search to only include things you want. if you just book a couple of days at a time you can move on or re book while you are there. Relax and enjoy!
And dont forget to keep notes on each site you visit so you will remember for the next time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The C&CC site at Slapton is OK but the nearby CC site at Chillington is better located. Treloan Farm at Portscatho in Cornwall is just above the coastal path and close to pubs, shops, beaches. Good site although facilities were a bit tired when we were last there but they were being refurbished. The CC site at Truro is very swish but not within walking distance of much, other than one shop in the village.

But if you are in the C&CC why not just get their book out and plot a tour using their sites. You won't go far wrong I think. We us CC sites a lot. They probably have the edge on the C&CC these days for quality but that's a personal opinion.

Upvote 0

DAVWOD

Free Member
Sep 23, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Bavaria
Exp
6 years
Hi and welcome.

Really there's not too much to worry about. You have been towing a caravan which can be more daunting on today's traffic so you haven't that to worry about. The last two posts have given great advice so now you have experienced weekends away enjoy your 2 weeks in your Motorhome ...

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I have read on here that C + CC sites will not let you on unless prebooked, not sure if this another myth, I guess you always go back to MH and call them :D

Don't you just love officialdom (y)

we like CSs and CLs, they are less picky, but often full

have fun

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pamie

pamie

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
I'm a newbie
I have read on here that C + CC sites will not let you on unless prebooked, not sure if this another myth, I guess you always go back to MH and call them :D

Don't you just love officialdom (y)

we like CSs and CLs, they are less picky, but often full

have fun
Hi i was a bit worrid there i just phoned C&CC and yes they do take what they call offroaders no pre book necessary just down to availability,
sorry bit new to forum what does CSs and CLs mean
thank you for your interest pamie

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi we have been caravaners for years staying same place for two weeks planned even down to ordering the morning paper
pamie

That's exceedingly boring. Could be terminal. Snap yourselves out of it.

Our 80 odd year old Don Madge still drives to Turkey.

So get those animals injected and cross the channel. It's just so much better for MHs over there.

You CAN do it, you're FUNsters now.

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hi i was a bit worrid there i just phoned C&CC and yes they do take what they call offroaders no pre book necessary just down to availability,
sorry bit new to forum what does CSs and CLs mean
thank you for your interest pamie

That's good news, thanks for the update

A CS is a Certified Site (C+CC)

A CL is a Certified Location (CC)

The only real difference is one is Caravan and Camping Club, the other is Caravan Club, they are usually 5 van maximum sites on farms or private houses

David

Upvote 0

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Pamie

I don't know how independant you are in that whether or not you have a solar panel which enables you to be off EHU for some time.

If you have done the odd weekend on a commercial site now is the time to broaden your experience.

If you are considering a commercial site it is usually best to give them a ring to confirm availability and cost.

CL's etc can be very good and it is a question of trying them. look up the address on Google Earth as this can give you an idea of what it may be like.

If you look in the back of the C & CC magazine you will find details of holiday rallies (blue edged pages) and weekend events (red edged pages). There are quite a number all over the UK during September and maybe it is the time to try one or two. They are usually cheaper than most sites and you can stay for 1 night up to the entire duration of the Rally.

Very very few of the rallies ask you to prebook in fact most say reservation is not necessary. They are often just fields with freshwater , waste and toilet desposal facilities but some do meet at commercial sites. Many of the people there will know one another having met at that rally or others over the years but there is no problem for a first timer. Should you have any problems then the rally marshalls are there to help. You can also ask questions of those around you which can help you think about places to go as well as ideas for your MH etc.

We have been to one of the rallys in Brixham a few times. They are in a field next to Gentry Campsite with a toilet block and a events tent for the odd quiz etc. The block is functional but needs work done on it. Unfortuneately as the site may be developed sometime soon they are reluctant to spend any money on it. It has basic toilet, washing and shower facilities as well as fresh water and disposal facilities. When we were last there they had free membership of the Rugby club down the road where the drinks are reasonable and they have TV where you could watch football or the Ryder Cup for example It is a good walk into Brixham and there are bus stops close by for Torquay and Paignton etc.

Hope that gives you food for thought.

Doug

Upvote 0

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Further to the above I would definitely agree with Hilldweller re crossing the channel.

Maybe you would think it is a step to far for you, well ask those you meet about their experiences abroad and pick up some tips. We are about to go to France foe 3 weeks and were actually introduced to using the Aires system in France etc as a result of meeting a couple whilst on a C & CC rally in Spain during the winter. We travelled back with them and had our first experience of the Aires as a result. Now the way we travel about with the occasional stop at a campsite interspersed.

Go on you know you want to.

Doug

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pamie

pamie

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
I'm a newbie
Further to the above I would definitely agree with Hilldweller re crossing the channel.

Maybe you would think it is a step to far for you, well ask those you meet about their experiences abroad and pick up some tips. We are about to go to France foe 3 weeks and were actually introduced to using the Aires system in France etc as a result of meeting a couple whilst on a C & CC rally in Spain during the winter. We travelled back with them and had our first experience of the Aires as a result. Now the way we travel about with the occasional stop at a campsite interspersed.

Go on you know you want to.

Doug
now Doug you are going to have to explain what that is Aires system looked on the net but did not know what i was looking for
pamie

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
now Doug you are going to have to explain what that is Aires system looked on the net but did not know what i was looking for
pamie
How long have you got? Essentially aires are areas often set aside by individual towns and villages to allow parking by motorhomes for a relatively low cost or even free. They normally provide water and toilet emptying facilities. They are a step up from parking in a layby and less than a proper campsite in terms of facilities and of course cost. Very common in France and some other European countries. Not to be confused with Aires de Parking which are parking areas on motorways.
Downside is some can get very crowded and vans can be parked very close together. Not all are like this but it does happen at popular spots. You can get guides to them from Vicarious Books http://www.vicariousbooks.co.uk/

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We are also relative newcomers to motorhomes - only had ours about a year now.

I would suggest you use the C&CC's CS sites in the UK. These are small sites, all with water and waste water and toilet disposal. Many have EHUs but we often don't use them because we have solar. We have never yet found a bad one. Stayed in some great places and met some great people.

I would also recomend trying France as soon as you can. They, and the rest of Europe, are much more motorhome friendly in their facilities. The campsites are good, but we tend to use the Aires. Just buy the french Aires book from the link Devenbeekeeper gave you and it will explain everything you need to know and list over 2,000 Aires in France. Again stopped at some great places and enjoyed every minute of it. I must admit to being a bit worried at first but we found it so easy that we will rarely use camp sites in France again.

Finally, why not come on a Motorhome fun rally as soon as you can - there are several planned for September.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I too would recommend France but beware the north and west can get weather like the UK. Warm and sunny at times, wet and windy at others. You need to go south for better weather but it can get uncomfortably hot. I wouldn't recommend it for a first longish trip though. Better to stay in the UK where you know where to buy the things you forget and where sorting out any problems with the vehicle will be easier. Next year - the world is your oyster, mussel or shellfish of choice - Brittany for those of course - and Imodium from Boots!

Upvote 0

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Devonbeekeeper has outlined what they are.

They range from slots designated for motorhomes in a carpark with no facitliies at all to ones providing all the necessary facilities. They can be free or as much as 10 euros or more. Do not assume that the free ones are not all incompassing. The first Aire we stayed at was at a village called Pomarez. Look it up on Google Earth. If you zoom in to the junction of the D15 and D7 you will see the roof of a large round building. In front of it is a car park and in the middle of it is the Aire for motorhomes. Switch to Strret mode and if you look into the carpark you will see some MH's.

The Aire takes 12 vans and has electric for all 12. There is a place to dump your waste water, get fresh water and dump your toilet waste. Surrounding the aire are some small shops, a sports hall and the local primary school. The large building is a Bull Ring. 200 yards away is a Tesco Express sized Carrfor and a Pharmacy.

The aire is free, including the electric, and you just need to avoid Mondays as it is market day and that is where the vans park and the other few days when the Bull Ring is being used.

The thing about Aires is that they are often sited close to the centre of villages, towns or tourist sites. You are technically not allowed to put out chairs and tables etc as they are for you to park not camp. It has never been a problem theough. Many beautiful French villages have aires within easy wallking distance of the centre. In fact there are well over 2000 aires throughout France and similar facilities in Germany, Italy, Spain etc.

Hope that gives you some idea.

Doug

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pamie

pamie

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
I'm a newbie
well THANK YOU all so much i have got alot of information and some good sites to look at we will have electric bikes and backpacks for the dogs if needed on the road with us but are flexible bus walk ride (not run though) we have decided to go down the north coast as far as st Ives then back up the south coast back home to Dorset, we have in the past (befor caravans) done alot of flying with all inclusive holidays and got fed up with it so let our passports lapse but touring France has intrigued us so we will renew them now,but like i said at the start we have only been out locally we have some great sites here only a few mile from where we live you can ride or walk into the forest from the site for miles the dogs love it, it took us the third time out to work out how to put the heating on so France is just abit beyond us yet but we will get there, so if its not to much trouble please keep putting on sites for me (its always better to have recomended sites,we have been to ones with tin shacks for the showers befor trying to watch where the spiders are going hated it) so need good facilities walks for the dogs and bike rides.
pamie

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Hi we have been caravaners for years staying same place for two weeks planned even down to ordering the morning paper, now we have our MH (Hobby 750) we have only been in it for a few w/ends locally to try it out, in sept we plan to be adventurous just go for two weeks somerset devon cornwall just one starting point water row in somerset (not booked) we have C&CC cards only used them once, just us two and two dogs going, we are not up to going wild camping not for a long time, we are finding the thought of doing this a little scary as we are not young anymore so any suggestions on where to go are we going to come accross problems like you can't stay just one night or other, we dont want anywhere grotty we have not waited all this time to get a MH then hate it or be put off so HELP-----i dont want to start planning two weeks of touring ---
pamie
Beware of people who tell you where to go !
Phil

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Afraid we can't help you with Devon/Cornwall, as we have not been there for many years.

But when you decide to take your first step into France I recommend what we did when we first went. Take a late morning or lunch time ferry or tunnel (we prefer the tunnel now), and aim to be in France by about 2pm their time Then head South on the A16, then A28 to Neufchatel-en-Bray. Very easy to find the A16 from the port or the tunnel as it is well signposted. It is about a 2 hour drive on good dual carriageways that will not be too busy.

At Neufchattel there is a nice little campsite, with the best Aire we have ever been in next door (owned by same people). Both are very popular with us Brits coming either from Calais or Dieppe. You can try the Aire for a night and see if you like it. If not you can go to the site next door and try that. Very easy walk to town with loads of restaurants as well as an Intermarche, Lidl and Aldi supermarkets. Also next door to an ex-railway track that has been turned into a Green Way cycle track and footpath. You can walk or cycle for miles and also great for the dogs.

Finally if you are planning to visit France or most other places in Europe off season (i.e. not July or August) you should get an ACSI discount card and guide. These can also be bought from Vicarious Books. It gives you great discounts on thousands of campsites. Costs about £10 or so (we always buy in Euros) per year and the first time we used it we saved about 5 times that amount on camp site fees in two weeks.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pamie

pamie

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
I'm a newbie
have sent for the books and aready seen the discount card will be sending for that aswell, next will be to find out what is needed for the dogs to go, thank you peter10 i will keep this info that did not look scary atall
pamie

Upvote 0

iceni

Free Member
Dec 3, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Lowline Coachbuilt
Exp
27yrs
Pamie.
The Club site at Sennen cove is nice theres a bus service outside the site which you can get into St Ives so leave the van behind. Its an open top bust and takes 1.5 hrs tio drive up the coast path with views over the downs and out to sea. The bust actually goes onto truro as weel and round robin back to the site.
You wont find anny prob in cornwall now that he seasons over as lots of site are still open but now the kids are back at school.
Enjoy your new van and get over the channel if you can. Its 100 times less stressful that UK..honest
If you email me at phil.cotterill@hozelock.com I will send some pics of the ones i have been to.

Upvote 0

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Pamie, After 35years towing we moved to Motorhome 2 years ago.Best thing ever! You might want to look at www.britstop.co.uk This has worked very well for us.
Cheers
Bernie.

Upvote 0

dorset dave

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Funster No
MH
c class autotrail
Exp
since 1994
hello pamie.just joined 10 minutes ago.I love wild camping .But if you travel in france you need the aires book,you can get it on line from vicarious books.I also live in dorset been motor homeing for 20 years. dave

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi and welcome to the fun. The South West has lots to see and places to visit, most are dog friendly some charge extra for dogs we do not. Wherever you go enjoy the fabulous scenery of Devon and Cornwall.

Upvote 0

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Having done both the wildcamping/camping ad hoc thing and the luxury, beautiful static caravan with sea view and home comforts, I'd take the fun of leaving with no plan any time. Some of our funniest moments have been me nipping into local, UK, shop for brekky after an illicit stopover in Tenby, where I had my pjs rolled up under a skirt and they fell back down in front of the car parking attendant - told to move on. Setting an alarm in a cornish car park for 6 in the morning so we cld run over to the car parking machine, buy ticket and put muddy walking boots outside so they'd think we'd just been walking and not camped overnight, then jumping back into bed for a snooze. It's all good and it's far less mundane than planning your journey meticulously.... especially that newspaper order ;) Have fun

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back