Is it a good idea..... (2 Viewers)

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
I'm sure it will cause massive confusion for some time but when eventually people get used to it this will settle down.
At the moment the police can check everything through ANPR and this will continue.
I'm not even sure that parking wardens take any notice of expired tax discs currently.
One thing is certain, not issuing paper discs will save money, this will be reflected in bonuses for those senior managers in the issuing authorities.

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
At least it won't be a problem if you're abroad when your tax runs out - just renew on line and you're legal again so a good idea from that point of view.

Denise

Not if your vehicle`s MOT has or is about to run out...

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
I reckon that putting virtually all these services online is asking for trouble, one well planned terrorist cyber attack that wipes out systems & the whole thing will be down the pan :eek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Not if your vehicle`s MOT has or is about to run out...

If MOT and tax run out at the same time then that's not very good planning! We've always made sure ours are apart so they don't run out at the same time. Usually do this by taxing for 6 months the first time and then annually. We haven't managed to get them 6 months apart as the MH we bought had a long MOT but not the full year but they're separated by about 3-4 months by doing this.

We don't currently go away for months at a time but when Joe retires we will be so we know that as long as the MOT is up to date before we go we'll be OK.

Denise

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I reckon that putting virtually all these services online is asking for trouble, one well planned terrorist cyber attack that wipes out systems & the whole thing will be down the pan :eek:
Then it wouldn't matter anyway, because Mr Plod would never know what was taxed, MOT'd, or insured, on any vehicle..........

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Not saying it's better but it's what will work for us as we're not planning on fulltiming, just having longer trips.

Agree that for you everything at the same time works better.

Denise

Inthezone

Free Member
Feb 14, 2014
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I think it wont make much difference I tax all of our vehicles online and have done for the last couple of years, never had any issues, not having to put a coulourful piece of paper in the window wont make any difference to me.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Ahhhhh.....My first 'full circle' thread!! :)(y)(y)

Won't be your last.

Brilliant idea - one less problem.

Not so brilliant, now if your insurance runs out and it's still taxed they hit you with an automatic fine assuming you are running it uninsured. Yet, as far as I know, the MOT can run out. But the huge insurance influence does not worry about MOTs, it's up to Geo's mob to get the MOT deal stitched up.

Reactions: SMB

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Not having to issue a bit of paper will save money.
The no disc system is open to abuse.
I have heard a good many folk talking about running the risk of getting caught as ANPR cameras aren't monitoring every road.
Quite a few folk who live in the sticks hereabouts have said they wont bother with tax / mot / insurance at all as the chance of getting caught in these areas will be minimal.
How much will be spent in new ANPR cameras and man hours to monitor the system?
The current system works.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
......................................................................................................................................

Scrapping the tax disc IMO will cost us (the taxpayer) - typical 'accountants' cost saving

The cost of issuing the disc is seen as a saving - what has not been thought through are the losses by avoidance - or honest mistakes, and the cost of putting those mistakes right - say your reminder does not arrive - what happens?

- Have you tried sorting things out with the DVLA?

The Tax disc is a reminder, and a sign that you have paid

Short-term saving - long-term extra cost

..................................................................................................................................................

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
It will be better for any Fulltimers using relations as an address.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
I have heard a good many folk talking about running the risk of getting caught as ANPR cameras aren't monitoring every road.
Quite a few folk who live in the sticks hereabouts have said they wont bother with tax / mot / insurance at all as the chance of getting caught in these areas will be minimal.

Mobile ANPR cameras are very visual here in Scotland, if I wasn't road legal I wouldn't take a chance.

ANPR cameras are much much more prevalent than many would appreciate. £1000 fines in the news will soon get rid of the dodgers.:mask::mask::mask:

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
Why are we Britain's so against change

The tax disc never worked we always had tax dodgers ....

Personally I think it's a good idea , although a better idea would be to scrap it all together as it's just another rip off.

The roads are a disgrace and the crap excuse about emissions doesn't wash

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
point is that the central database will become the controlling factor. no tax or missing the deadline and a fine will be in the post. works great till you get caught by an error caused by faulty data etc

losing the paper disc makes cloning a vehicle even easier so could be 10 or more vans running round with the same plate. 9 of those vans would be illegal probably stolen with no insurance tax or mot. lots of it happening already with criminals benefitting

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
Not bothered either way... but would vote for scrapping VED and putting the duty on fuel.
We already pay horrendous duty on fuel As it is .....im fed up with motorists baring the brunt of taxes , they sneakily changed the name of road tax when they were pulled up for the state of the roads they now claim it's related to emissions despite a diesel car costing more than a 10 tonne truck to tax ....its all lies and further stealth taxes they need to scrap it all together .....maybe stop building stupid nuclear weapons instead

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Personally I prefer to have visible proof that my vehicle is taxed. Computer systems are not infallible, especially Government databases, and I will be keeping my receipt with me. Hopefully someone will tell the other countries about the change as well, I'm glad I just taxed my van last month for a year, by the time it expires a lot of poor buggers will have been assisting the foreign cops with their distance learning packages. Any excuse to pull us over...:swear2:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Don't forget you have to register with DVLA when your tax is due as there won't be any reminders.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Personally I prefer to have visible proof that my vehicle is taxed. Computer systems are not infallible, especially Government databases, and I will be keeping my receipt with me. Hopefully someone will tell the other countries about the change as well, I'm glad I just taxed my van last month for a year, by the time it expires a lot of poor buggers will have been assisting the foreign cops with their distance learning packages. Any excuse to pull us over...:swear2:
So, I take it your not in favour??? :whistle::whistle:

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988

Spot on in many respects john but I live in rural Wales and I can't go more than 5 miles from my house in any direction without getting logged by ANPR. If ever you're on the A40 near Crickhowell have a quick look as you enter or depart, the infrastructure has been in place for a number of years,

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
:rofl:What would del boy put on the windscreen now?:rofl:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun