Weight! (1 Viewer)

koffee

Free Member
Mar 22, 2008
Funster No
Can anyone give me a definitive answer about what is included in the weight of the 'van before you start loading all your other stuff?

This will be our first winter away, when we bought the van it had solar panels, satellite dish, bike rack and reversing camera added as extras by the previous owners. It also has a full oven/grill/hob, now some books say this is classed as an 'extra' also. Help!

Should we also include the weight of the water and gas bottles? and what about a tank of fuel?

I'm very confused and can't start deciding what to take and not to take until I know how much payload I have left from the maximum.

Thanks, Sue.

Phil

Free Member
Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
Why not just take it to a public weighbridge and weigh it before you add any extra stuff. Subtract the measured weight from the max weight stamped on the plate and you will know how much extra you can add.

It's a good idea to also get your axles weighed separately then you can decide on the best way of packing for even weight distribution.

For complete peace of mind you should fully load the van including fuel and water and weigh it again to be certain you are not overloaded.

Phil.

monaco

Free Member
Jul 21, 2008
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
American A
Exp
7 years
Hi Sue,
There is only one weight that is applicable to the legal side of things and
that is the vehicle gross weight
That is the maximum the vehicle can be at any time.
The unladen weight or before you start weight is somthing that is useful to know
so you will know how much you can carry but is inmaterial legally

If your unladen weight is low you carry more if its high you carry less

the only true test is to put it on a weighbridge then deduct the weight from
the vehicle manufacturers plated weight

regards monaco

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
K

koffee

Free Member
Mar 22, 2008
Funster No
Thanks Phil,

ah, if only life were that simple, we're in France and are still trying to locate our nearest weighbridge, hence my question.

Sue

Phil

Free Member
Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
I hear the Gendarmes are using portable ones at the moment. :ROFLMAO:

Phil.

OP
OP
K

koffee

Free Member
Mar 22, 2008
Funster No
Yes, we've already experienced one of those earlier in the year when stopped down in Normandie. Even with 12 year old granddaughter and all her gear we were 750 Kg under our allowed max!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
there is definately not only one wgt to watch . look on the vehicle plate you should have frt and rear axle wgts. plus your gross wgt. although the two axle wgts combined will probably exceed your gross wgt just keep inside the gross but dont exceed axle wgts.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
there is definately not only one wgt to watch . look on the vehicle plate you should have frt and rear axle wgts. plus your gross wgt. although the two axle wgts combined will probably exceed your gross wgt just keep inside the gross but dont exceed axle wgts.

i'm in total agreement regarding axle weights.

the two axle weights will add up to more than the gross weight and this is to allow a small margin of error when loading up.
IE:- gross = 3500kg........rear axle 2600kg....front axle = 1100kg.
this would allow you to have 2600kg on the rear axle but only 900kg on the front at the same time.

usually the unladen weight is taken as the bare vehicle inc cooling water, engine oil ect ,1/2 tank of fuel and a driver (80kg) only. in other words...everything to make it go.
anything else is payload whether removable or fixed, sat dish, TV, clothes, food, passengers, gas, water and waste water and anything else you can think of.

OP
OP
K

koffee

Free Member
Mar 22, 2008
Funster No
Thanks Pappajohn,

this was more or less what we had worked out but when you're new to something it's really good to have it confirmed.

Hi Yodeli,

we're in the Pas de Calais about 20 minutes from Etaples.

Thanks everyone for your posts.

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001

Don't forget, if you are towing, the very important Gross Train Weight, i.e the combined maximum weight of the motorhome and towed vehicle.

Remember that the trailer will increase the rear axle weight by more than the download on the towball and will slightly decrease the front axle weight.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Don't forget, if you are towing, the very important Gross Train Weight, i.e the combined maximum weight of the motorhome and towed vehicle.

Remember that the trailer will increase the rear axle weight by more than the download on the towball and will slightly decrease the front axle weight.

good point :thumb: never thought of that :Doh:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
but as we can only weigh the vehicle when its stationary and i dont know the ministry can do different omly the tow hitch weight can be used in calculation. then only if all axles are weighed seperately inc. trailer.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
but as we can only weigh the vehicle when its stationary and i dont know the ministry can do different omly the tow hitch weight can be used in calculation. then only if all axles are weighed seperately inc. trailer.

what djchapple means is if the hitch down force is 50kg(example) then it will weigh 50kg on the towball BUT because of the leverage effect between towball and axle the weight on the axle will be greater depending on the distance from ball to axle.
an example i used in another post was......hold a bag of sugar at arms length then hold close to your chest......which feels heavier....yep, arms length......thats the leverage effect which, in my opinion, is why a lot of 'vans with a scooter rack are unintentionally overloaded.

john.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
thats why you should weigh the vehicle axle by axle.most quarries, or distribution houses have a weigh bridge , even if its not a public one they will usually help out . they know the rules .

ronald4874

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Poole Dorset
Funster No
MH
CB 6.5 metres
Exp
About 15yrs plus early years in caravan & cruiser
Ron & marj

Yes has already been said is sound use a weigh bridge and distribute well. Just the 2 of us we have taken out our bed unit in the Luton and now use that area for storage, better balance. I Have a cutting from a English paper produced in Alicanti where an English motorhome was stopped by the police, weighed and found to be overwieght and fined on the spot 3500E, they had to take to owner to a bank no get the money. Other members I'm sure will remember this incident. So be warned, empty your van, you don't need half you have got.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back