Ducato ignition switch (1 Viewer)

May 21, 2012
forest of dean
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2012
Whilst on our recent trip to Germany starting our 2003 Ducato based Adria (2.8JTD) became difficult. Its not an engine problem its the ignition switch. The spring that returns the key once stated to its normal on place seems to have become over strong and although the van starts immeadiately it stops as soon as you let the key go ! It is also not possible just to turn the ignition on as you either have to turn it to start ie crank or let it go and it springs to off.
Is this a known fault? Whats the remedy? Any ideas? Thanks

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
New switch unit, complete assembly. (pretty sure the switch has collapsed behind the lock).

The NORMAL procedure is thus. Disconnect the battery, (engine), and remove the steering shroud. You should now be able to see the switch/lock in it's entirety. The bolt holding the unit to the steering shaft will have a break off head bolt. All you will observe is a shiny metal cone shaped 'head'. Using a fine punch, tap this head in a counter clockwise direction, until the bolt unscrews. Now you can remove the full unit, and un-clip the wiring harness at the plug.
On re-fitting the new switch/lock assembly, loosely assemble, and tighten up the holding bolt slowly. When your happy that it feels 'right, test with your keys. Finally, tighten the bolt until the head shears off. Replace shrouding, then TEST STEERING LOCK AND FULL RADIUS OF THE STEERING before driving.

CAUTION. If you have air bags, get agent advice before you proceed with this job.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I would say new switch required.

Looks like either something inside has dislodged or the whole switch has started to melt.

I doubt you can buy any parts for the switch internals.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Not too bad price wise. Tricky....A bit, if your not handy. Don't forget, you now have new keys, which will be different from your cab locks. See link::

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2060778.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X2003 Ducato ignition lock&_nkw=2003 Ducato ignition lock&_sacat=0

It seems your model has two securing bolts.

Errr !!! Transponder key linked to ECU and immoboliser ?

That needs programming by a main stealer.

OP
OP
Forester
May 21, 2012
forest of dean
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2012
That I guess is my question. The locks on ebay are non imobiliser according to the advert. Does that mean that if I fit one of them I can use the keys that come with them to start the van provided I remount the ring from around the lock ,which I assume is the receiver for the key transmitter, somewhere where I can place the old key so as to trigger the immobiliser. Or am I talking rubbish here?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
That I guess is my question. The locks on ebay are non imobiliser according to the advert. Does that mean that if I fit one of them I can use the keys that come with them to start the van provided I remount the ring from around the lock ,which I assume is the receiver for the key transmitter, somewhere where I can place the old key so as to trigger the immobiliser. Or am I talking rubbish here?
You could, but if the van gets stolen and recovered kiss any insurance claim goodbye as you over rode the immobiliser....unless you removed the redundant key every time you locked the van.

OP
OP
Forester
May 21, 2012
forest of dean
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2012
Or can the barrel be swapped from my old lock to the new one, assuming its not the barrel at fault

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Or can the barrel be swapped from my old lock to the new one, assuming its not the barrel at fault
It could if it isnt damaged which would solve the immob issue and of course, you still have the same key for the doors also.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
They all should have an immobiliser transducer ring in the ignition switch....otherwise the immobiliser wont work.
ALL vehicles now must have an immobiliser and have needed one for some years.
Mine hasn't:):):)!!!......

OP
OP
Forester
May 21, 2012
forest of dean
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2012
In 30 minutes this morning got the lock off and the barrel out. About to order a new lock.
Thanks all for the advice.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
In 30 minutes this morning got the lock off and the barrel out. About to order a new lock.
Thanks all for the advice.
So, how did it come out?? Did you dis-assemble like I said, then press a recessed button to remove the lock assembly, or did the switch simply pull out???

OP
OP
Forester
May 21, 2012
forest of dean
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2012
One of the shear bolts undid with a gentle tap on a chisel. One had to be beaten violently was just about to reach for the angle grinder when it gave in. Turned key to mar and pressed the tab in the lock to release the barrel. Barrel seems to be in perfect condition so I assume the problem is in the lock, its all sprung and I dont fancy trying to take apart. There is a pin I could drift out but fear that all sorts of bits will spring out! For under £40 I have ordered a non immobiliser lock from ebay (Poland!) will see if I can use that before I fiddle with mine any more.
Thanks again for the advice

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
(y)(y)(y) Keep us up to speed when the lock arrives!

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
I know this is an old post but I thought I'd update it with information about the immobiliser. On mine (2006 Ducato) the immobiliser consists of an electronic ring which fits around the ignition barrel and this "talks" to the plastic fob which the key hinges on to. If you change the lock the new key can be fitted to the old plastic fob or the electronics in the old fob can be transferred to the new fob housing. There should be no need to involve a dealer, you just need a small screwdriver to dismantle the fob. I can't confirm all models will be like this but mine certainly is.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back