OpenOffice 3.0 Is Here and its FREE (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Their servers have been crashing all day due to all the demand. But it looks like you can finally download it now. I've been using the 3.0 Windows version beta for a little while and its great - lots of cool new features and a real alternative to Microsoft Office so if you're looking to save yourself plenty of money, download it instead of buying Microsoft - you will save yourself hundreds of pounds , and you won't lose out on many features at all.

The suite has six full-blown applications: the Writer word processor, Calc spreadsheet, Impress presentations program, Base database program, Math equation editor, and Draw graphics program. All this absolutely FREE.

Fill yer boots < here >::bigsmile:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Their servers have been crashing all day due to all the demand. But it looks like you can finally download it now. I've been using the 3.0 Windows version beta for a little while and its great - lots of cool new features and a real alternative to Microsoft Office so if you're looking to save yourself plenty of money, download it instead of buying Microsoft - you will save yourself hundreds of pounds , and you won't lose out on many features at all.

The suite has six full-blown applications: the Writer word processor, Calc spreadsheet, Impress presentations program, Base database program, Math equation editor, and Draw graphics program. All this absolutely FREE.

Fill yer boots < here >::bigsmile:

I love openoffice and load it on quite a few customers machines.

It's surprising how many people don't know about it.:thumb:

R

reader

Deleted User
Agree, people moan about cost but still use MS Office, I recently did a presentation to some hardened PowerPoint users and they didnt realise I was using OpenOffice, next presentation to group, have a guess, yes , how to download and use OO having set up with MS Office defaults so they could access their existing stuff

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Agree, people moan about cost but still use MS Office, I recently did a presentation to some hardened PowerPoint users and they didnt realise I was using OpenOffice, next presentation to group, have a guess, yes , how to download and use OO having set up with MS Office defaults so they could access their existing stuff

Hi I have to be honest and say that I have never heard of it.

Who designes and markets it.

Can you run your exisiting files that have been created using MS Office on it.

Does it take up a lot of space. For example can you have MS Office and OpenOffice on your machine at the same time. I realise that it will depend upon hard drive space capacity but most people now have machines that have more memory than they will ever use (at home).

As I said I have never heard of it (not that i'm a computer expert) so if I sound daft its not because I'm trying to. :roflmto:

Cheers

Jim :Smile:

Groundhog

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Since 2008
It's developed and distributed by Sun Microsystems so no danger of viruses etc.

Yes you can run all your existing Word documents on it and the two systems will quite happily sit on the same machine.

Give it a go. If you don't like it you can always uninstall it.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Jim

After installing I started to get the dreaded 'blue screen of death',:Eeek: at first I couldn't understand why, but since removing Open Office no more crashes..

Perhaps it's incompatible with Windows Vista Business ?

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Jim, not sure about Vista, I am sure there will be a few groans on the web if it is a problem. Mind you if I owned Vista, I might want to spike some upstart offering up a free product to work on my operating sytem especially when I am trying to sell them my £600 office program:Smile:I have resisted the urge to move to Vista, I'm still waiting for it to come out of Beta ::bigsmile: Open Office works well on mine and the kids machines, but they are all running XP.

sandyketton

Free Member
Aug 29, 2007
South West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Eight years but ten years tugging in an earlier life
Hi,

I run Microsoft Works on my computer. It's a bit bumpy compared with MSOffice which is on my wife's machine. I have free Word and Excel Readers which are useful.

Can anyone explain (in simple words)what the main advantages of OO are over MSWorks and Readers, before I download?

Thanks
Sandy

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi Jim

After installing I started to get the dreaded 'blue screen of death',:Eeek: at first I couldn't understand why, but since removing Open Office no more crashes..

Perhaps it's incompatible with Windows Vista Business ?

Was it 32 bit or 64 bit Windows Vista Business Jim?

We've seen it stable on 32 bit but haven't installed on 64.

Last edited:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
its great - so if you're looking to save yourself plenty of money, download it instead of buying Microsoft - you will save yourself hundreds of pounds...
Great if its a genuinely free download though MS Office takes some beating.

Does anyone still actually buy software?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland

Hi

well, since my last post I've had another crash :Sad: so it may be nothing to do with OF 3 ..

AFAIK I have 32 bit Vista .. how / where do I check ? :Doh:

Cheers

Jim

R

reader

Deleted User
I have recently put the "new" (final released last week) version 3 on a pc and a laptop that had vista on, not had any complaints yet.
MS are playing silly ......rs at the moment with anybody who doesnt use ms software like hotmail users who use FireFox browser having to sign in twice. I suspect as people start to use Open Office more they are loosing money and there are so many people moving browsers from IE 7 and before to FireFox and Opera they are loosing their free software customers as well

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Jim, has Vista got the System Restore function that is in XP. That has cured a few of my problems before now. If it has, just run it, its a wizard in XP, and choose a day that your system was good. You won't lose any data, by that I mean email or word docs etc.

Best of luck:Smile:

M

Mark&Sue

Deleted User
64 Bit OS and Open Office

Hi Guys,

American Dream is right, 64 bit operating systems don't seem to be able to run OO correctly. It works ok on Vista 32 bit.

Last edited by a moderator:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Jim, has Vista got the System Restore function that is in XP. That has cured a few of my problems before now. If it has, just run it, its a wizard in XP, and choose a day that your system was good. You won't lose any data, by that I mean email or word docs etc.

Best of luck:Smile:

Hi Jim.

Tried that last night but in the end decided to reformatt and start from scratch.. back to factory state, I was up it till 2 am :Sad:.. you forget how much stuff you have and how long it takes to recover it all ... :RollEyes:

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Jim, to save you losing more sleep and doing that all again here is what I do...

I load everything onto the newly restored machine, load all my essential programs and have all my bookmarks logged etc. The machine at this stage is running fast as its not yet been clogged with all the crap we will add over the coming months! I then take an image using the best disk image software Link RemovedNow whilst the machine is in great shape I make two complete disk images (back ups) one to a portable hard drive and another to an 8gb memory dongle. It can do this at the same time!

Now if your machine fails you can restore it in about ten minutes to its former glory with all your programs and tweaks intact. The program will also regularly back up your work files as well.

You can find free older version copies of Acronis as giveaways on computer magazines but at just £30 the 2009 version its great value and can be a lifesaver And .. if you buy from the link in this post not only is it the cheapest price you will find anywhere, motorhome fun will earn £2 so its win-win:thumb:

You can check out the products home page here, But its sold for £40 there you will save yourself £10 and earn Fun money if you buy from>> Link Removed:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thanks for the info and link.. looks good ..
I normally back up using Windows Vista backup and recovery so I didn't loose anything but it just seems soo long winded getting everything back to 'normal'. I'll definately considder getting Accronis..

Never had these problems on my Mac :RollEyes:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Thanks for the info and link.. looks good ..
I normally back up using Windows Vista backup and recovery so I didn't loose anything but it just seems soo long winded getting everything back to 'normal'. I'll definately considder getting Accronis..

Never had these problems on my Mac :RollEyes:

I second that.

Nice post by Jim on accronis.Does a good job.:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
up date

Sorry for opening an old chestnut ..

After the drama with the Sony lappy, crashing, freezing etc, but now repaired now under warranty, I downloaded Open Office 3 again and it's running great.. nice bit of FREE software with good support and lots extras if needed..

thanks Jim , well pleased :thumb:

Jim

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back