LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Just a quick question. Through the roof saterlitte masts and dishes. Do they have to go on a flat part of the roof? Im talking about the manual type. If they do have to be through the flat part, most vans with masts seem to be placed oin the wardrobe. where else can they be put? any ideas?

ned

Free Member
May 18, 2008
Funster No
sat dishes

Hi Hagnap,

The main reason that they are often put in wardrobes is to get the mast out of the way as well as the cables, in other words so you can't see it! There is nothing to stop you putting them anywhere you like. The thing is that you often want a clear space for the dish to drop onto. I once fitted one that hung over the back panel by 12", but that is what the guy wanted and who am I to disagree. I have often found that the Maxview crank-up system gets over most problems of internal position as it can be put almost anywhere without detracting from the overall look within the van. It is a cheap but fully functional option, when you get used to it, and it works down to about Barcelona but is absolutely clear as a bell in the Alps.

We have used one and been very pleased with the reception and the ease of operation------ as long as you have a long arm or one of those folding foot stools.

Keep em waxed ........ Ned:thumb:

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Thanks NED, it is a maxview that I have been contemplating on a mast which rotates and folds from inside the van (manually) but its, just to install it fitting it in to my cupboard (which I would prefer) would be at the start of the luton. I just wandered if this would give me problems from a fittiing point of view, as well of course from a channel receiving point.
regards paul

PS gotta have some TV when wer'e skiing :winky: Wax ya skis snows coming.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Paul,

Why do you want the maxiview that goes in the cupboard?

With this one Link Removed you just have the rotating bezel inside and the coax can enter where ever you want.

Last edited:
S

stagman

Deleted User
Paul,

Why do you want the maxiview that goes in the cupboard?

With this one <Maxiview> you just have the rotating bezel inside and the coax can enter where ever you want.

I totally agree and I fitted a maxview crankup 2 yrs ago been working great.Been down as far as Limoges area takes about a minute to find the Sat you want very often quicker than ones that cost 2 or 3 times the price.It is better fitted on a flat area with eay access inside the van as you need to see the settings clearly.:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I've had a Maxview for almost two years, it performs great and is easy to align, however, it does not like wind, anything above about 22 mph and it blows off signal.
This is an ongoing problem I have reported to Maxview, they say they have only had three complaints about it moving but I'm still waiting for the promised replacement control mechanism..

Copy of emails.

1. Dear Sir

I have a complaint to make about my Maxview crank up, during windy weather today, (22 mph SW, BBC Weather info) the dish rotated, I heard the noise as the lock moved on the ratchet. I immediately lowered the dish to prevent further damage. I've heard of others complaining about this and that you were working on a 'fix' .? This issue is presently being discussed on several motorhome forums with several unhappy owners. I look forward to your comments Regards James Allan

reply.

Dear Mr Allan

Firstly my apologies for my late response. I have been working away and only recently become aware of your problem.

Could you please contact me either by return or on Tel 07970 022149. If you agree, I would like to arrange an appointment to inspect your B2590 Crank Up satellite system, at your earliest convenience.

Kind regards,
Phil Newbury
Maxview Limited

I called the above number..

Dear Mr Allan,

Thank you for your reply.

You are in an area covered by our Southern Area Manager, Stuart James.
As you can see I have copied this email to him and I am sure he will contact you in the near future to arrange a convenient appointment. We do shut down for Christmas at lunchtime on Friday 21st December, so a visit before Christmas may not be possible.

Kind Regards,

Phil Newbury
Maxview Limited

Dear Mr Allan

Further to your correspondance with Phil, I will be in your area early in the new year.

When I know rough dates I will contact you and arrange to meet at your convenience. In the meantime my contact number is 07970 022159.

Have a great Christmas and Happy New Year.

Kind regards

Stuart James
Maxview Ltd

I called again

but still no visit ..

We then went to France in Feb , on returning in Oct 2008 I sent another email

Dear Phil

I would like to take you up on your offer, I've been touring abroad for the past 8 months, please let me know if and when you could inspect.

Re problem, the dish still moves if the wind is gusty and or hitting the dish broadsides.. apart from that it is easy to align and performs excellently.

Regards

Jim

Dear Mr Allan.

I hope you enjoyed your tour!

Since our last correspondance we have made enquiries, but not discovered any other systems with the fault that you describe.

I beleive you are normally based in the south of the country which, due to heavy work commitments, would make an inspection of your system not possible in the near future. Therefore, I think in the first instance you should try replacing the control system of the unit which incorporates the brake mechanism. To this end I have asked our Customer Services Department to send you a replacement part.

If after fitting the new contol unit you still have the same problem, please contact me again so that we can investigate further.

Could you please supply a delivery address for the replacement part.

Kind regards,

Phil Newbury

I sent my address and contact number 10 days ago, but I haven't heard or received the promised control mechanism ..

Make of this as you will , but the wind is getting up today, I expect to loose signal any time soon...

:Angry:

IMO >>

Alden and Teleco make superior products that don't need parking as soon as it gets blowy.. However, the Maxview Crankup is the only dish that can be mounted anywhere on the roof without the need of an internal wall mount..( the main reason I purchased) but I now regret not buying an Alden .. :RollEyes:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi paul,

the dish MUST be fitted to a flat bit of roof otherwise the inclination will be wrong on the scale and the dish will be 'skewed' while pointing in some directions meaning it will not be vertical and wont find the satellite....bit like looking at something with your head tilted to one side.

one word of warning........if you go for the type suggested by diablo, thats what i have, then check clearance for the bezel above any side opening cupboard doors. my toilet door just misses it!

maxview recommend a minimum of 800mm all round the dish mounting plate, which is 490mm square, but in reallity you only need this distance at the rear (minumum 700mm or it wont park) and possibly at the sides providing it not too close to topbox's ect which could partly block the signal.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Plus also make sure you can still open any top vents:thumb:

If you are going for a Maxiview try Shane at Snellyvision he used to give the best price, and he is a forum member

Last edited:

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
I had a maxview crankup system on our previous van and found the performance (in terms of reception) to be good we used it as far as biaritiz without any problem.

We did have 2 problems:

1. The brake (as already reported in the thread) was weak and failed in windy conditions causing the dish to misalign. Not good when the only time you want to watch the box is when the weather is bad!

2. The inclination indictor failed. Although not imortant did make set up more difficult. Investigation found that the mechanism conisted of plastic cogs pushed onto metal shafts. Over time the push fit relaxed and the cogs moved on the shaft. Application of super glue after realigning solved this.

One advantage of this system over through the roof into wardrobe types is that the cable can be routed across the top of the van rather than through the van to reach the digi box.

Personally I will go for a tripod mounted external unit next time as it overcomes the problem of trees in the way of the signal, without resorting to chainsaw technology.

andyframpton

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Guys
i have got a flat square dish in the roof never bothered yet to try it rather sit and drink the local vino. kids are on my back about having satilitte i bought one at B&Q jsut for the reciever. does anyone know if my square dish will be ok:Eeek::Confused:

RoadProAndy

Free Member
Nov 4, 2007
Peckham, in London
Funster No
Exp
11 years
Or of course..there's the new Camos crank-up

The new Camos crank-up model takes up a lot less room than the Maxview model. It's also around half the weight and - due to the shape and the size - there shouldn't be any issue at all with wind.

The current model is equivalent to a 50cm conventional dish and we have a new model coming this week which is equivalent to a 65cm conventional dish.

We have lots of happy users including "Diamond" Dave Newell of Leisure Vehicle Services who has both installed them for customers and uses one himself.

We have one on our Laika and it really is very easy to use.

RoadProAndy (from RoadPro)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back