geordie graham

Free Member
Jun 29, 2014
Seaton Carew Hartlepool
Funster No
MH
Still looking
Exp
So I have the new awning and have been told that because it hasn`t got a breathable groundsheet it will have to be put up on a hardstanding pitch,which is fine.I am then told that I would then need rock pegs ( screw in ones preferably ) still fine,and then read about a lot of people saying that the hardstanding pitches are so hard that they can`t even get the pegs in. So to recap, you are told by the site you have to put up your awning on a hardstanding pitch that is so hard you cannot get the pegs in therefore unable to use your awning and yet people are still paying for these facilities. Really ?

Graham

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
get the rock pegs you can put in with a hammer,,,a big hammer if needed,,,not the screw in type...then you wont have a problem,,,,,(y)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
get the rock pegs you can put in with a hammer,,,a big hammer if needed,,,not the screw in type...then you wont have a problem,,,,,(y)

And/or a breathable ground sheet, nicer underfoot(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
or no groundsheet at all and you can pitch on grass like a caravan awning does. breathable sheets are nice and soft under bare feet, but I prefer grass

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I agree with above, don't bother with screw in gizmos, but do invest in a lump hammer and rock pegs

or leave groundsheet out, unless it is fixed of course

and while we are talking hard standing, all that effort why cant they make them level, we nearly always still need levelling blocks

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
Or - The brackets should come with the awning.
DSC_3907.JPG

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
So I have the new awning and have been told that because it hasn`t got a breathable groundsheet it will have to be put up on a hardstanding pitch,which is fine.I am then told that I would then need rock pegs ( screw in ones preferably ) still fine,and then read about a lot of people saying that the hardstanding pitches are so hard that they can`t even get the pegs in. So to recap, you are told by the site you have to put up your awning on a hardstanding pitch that is so hard you cannot get the pegs in therefore unable to use your awning and yet people are still paying for these facilities. Really ?

Graham
Use a Hilti Gun - jobs a good un :roflmto::roflmto:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I usually use a drill and a long masonry bit to drill a pilot hole for the pegs.
When the twat's pull that one works every time get sum werd looks but you have payed for it use it I say

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Or - The brackets should come with the awning. View attachment 39047
great but thats a canopy, not an awning with/without groundsheet

Have seen more than one van sidewall seriously damaged by using those clips and the wind catching the canopy like a sail. seen a few flip back over the roof too in a stiff breeze doing very serious damage. one i witnessed, a pregnant woman got injured grabbing hold and trying to stop it.......ALWAYS put straps on the corners when putting out the canopy if there is any chance of the wind getting up

OP
OP
G

geordie graham

Free Member
Jun 29, 2014
Seaton Carew Hartlepool
Funster No
MH
Still looking
Exp
Great input as usual,thanks folks. The reason I brought this subject up is because I am disabled and unable to do a lot of things,and although my amazing wife is very strong mentally ( she has had to be to put up with all my unforeseen problems ) she is not very strong physically which is why we have bought a Vango airbeam which she tried in the back garden and she can manage that,but has sown in non breathable groundsheet.What happens if we are told to put it up on a hardstanding pitch which is so hard she can`t get the pegs in.Can we go back to the site office and explain that the pitch is totally unfit for purpose and can they find a pitch which is suitable or can we have our money back and try and find a site that does have suitable pitches.

Graham

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I can only suggest explain you are disabled and will only stay in one grass pitch for say 3 days. The reason they don't want ordinary groundsheets on grass is they turn the grass yellow after a few days, but if your stay is short or if longer you are prepared to move to a different pitch every few days I don't see why they should have a problem. Alternatively, get some big straight metal pegs and a big hammer and ask the warden to knock them in for you on a hard standing pitch. You may have better luck with clubs like the CC or CC&C as they wouldn't want to get a reputation for being difficult for disabled visitors. Worth trying to contact their head office(s) and ask them to make arrangements.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Or - The brackets should come with the awning. View attachment 39047
I don't want to worry you but the brackets on the side of your MH do look rather high ... if I had your MH I wouldn't want to have the awning wound out that far due to the angle it creates when using the brackets as it must put a heck of a strain on them!

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
You @ Killin ???

Aye that wis Jessie, the better half and cleo (our wee cat, that's why the fly screen was closed) in Killin, a few weeks ago now enroute North, we did the top two corners J o' Gs and Cape Wrath.
I don't want to worry you but the brackets on the side of your MH do look rather high ... if I had your MH I wouldn't want to have the awning wound out that far due to the angle it creates when using the brackets as it must put a heck of a strain on them!

I know what you mean, that really was my only option on that van. As you say I am aware of the geometry and stress points. There wasn't a puff of a breeze and it was just to take a bit of the sun off the side of the van. When I took the photo the sun was set and I was just about to take it all down for moving in morning but I wanted photo with my new windbreak set up(that was just for privacy ! Sad ain't I. :rolleyes:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Can the current groundsheet be cut out without damaging the structure and strength of the rest of the awning?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back