100 year old drivers. ....scary (2 Viewers)

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
And they only wanted 100 or younger

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
There's a programme on itv just now about 100 yr old drivers

Seriously dangerous stuff none driving motorhomes yet thankfully

No, cos I never replied to the auditioning request!

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
A member on here had a problem of their father being unsafe driving. Can't remember who now. Asking what she should do a few weeks back. Quite a varied response.

I thought she should take the keys away. For everyone's safety . But lots thought it unfair to do so.
I suppose it depends on weather your 50 like me , or 80 plus.........

It would be interesting to know what happened , is dad still driving ?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Yes he is but only for very short local trips to the supermarket at the end of the road. He drove down to Oxford (from NE England) a couple of weeks after he got his new car and was terrified - has driven very little since and is now thinking about giving up the car.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
they all suffered the same fault, driving down the middle of the road and a danger to oncoming traffic, I wonder why that is.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
A member on here had a problem of their father being unsafe driving. Can't remember who now. Asking what she should do a few weeks back. Quite a varied response.

I thought she should take the keys away. For everyone's safety . But lots thought it unfair to do so.
I suppose it depends on weather your 50 like me , or 80 plus.........

It would be interesting to know what happened , is dad still driving ?

SO, it was you was it, you young bug*er!! My daughter wouldn't say who told her to take my keys! I had to hide them in my commode! You deserve a horse whipping, which I would have the greatest pleasure administering, if only I could find my driving glasses, and ear trumpet....:rofl::rofl:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
:Eeek::rofl:
Oooo er missus! :lips:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Yes he is but only for very short local trips to the supermarket at the end of the road. He drove down to Oxford (from NE England) a couple of weeks after he got his new car and was terrified - has driven very little since and is now thinking about giving up the car.

I bet you are so relieved , I wonder, did he watch this program. It may make him feel better about it all.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I bet you are so relieved , I wonder, did he watch this program. It may make him feel better about it all.

Yes, especially as he goes just as they are opening on the days when the specials come in. He is home long before it gets busy. If he does watch the programme he'll just say what a good driver he is. 65 years and only a few bumps!!

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Yes, especially as he goes just as they are opening on the days when the specials come in. He is home long before it gets busy. If he does watch the programme he'll just say what a good driver he is. 65 years and only a few bumps!!

Father in Law is the same, except he drives from Wales to the NE regularly and with few rest stops. There's no telling him, he rants that we're trying to keep him off the roads and spoil his fun. HE's right on both counts!

OP
OP
T

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
It's a shame really as I can see from their point of view that it takes away their freedom.but some of them were frightening ...The old fella in the beautifully restored Austin nearly caused a pile up at one point but i see he died in July :(

Even the one who had the driving instructor access him was terrible yet the instructor said he was fine despite him grabbing the wheel several times

I really think compulsory testing at 70/75 should be introduced

My mum's 71 and still a very competent driver but some are downright dangerous

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
It's a shame really as I can see from their point of view that it takes away their freedom.but some of them were frightening ...The old fella in the beautifully restored Austin nearly caused a pile up at one point but i see he died in July :(

Even the one who had the driving instructor access him was terrible yet the instructor said he was fine despite him grabbing the wheel several times

I really think compulsory testing at 70/75 should be introduced

My mum's 71 and still a very competent driver but some are downright dangerous
Bet your opinion changes when you get to 70/71..........(y)(y)

OP
OP
T

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Nah it won't because I'd still feel crap if I caused someone's death.

Young drivers are penalised and pay ridiculous insurance premiums yet insurers give massive discounts to older drivers who simply aren't safe anymore

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
I live out in the country now and the thought of having to call Brecon Dial a Ride at some not to distant time in the future is a bit of a bummer really. My personal experience suggests that eye sight testing should be more rigorous than it is currently, my F-in-L is over 80 and is a type 1 diabetic. He consistently passes the eye tests but can't see diddly-squat on the road. No member of the family will travel with him any more.

OP
OP
T

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
I live out in the country now and the thought of having to call Brecon Dial a Ride at some not to distant time in the future is a bit of a bummer really. My personal experience suggests that eye sight testing should be more rigorous than it is currently, my F-in-L is over 80 and is a type 1 diabetic. He consistently passes the eye tests but can't see diddly-squat on the road. No member of the family will travel with him any more.
That's it and as much as I can sympathise with older drivers losing their freedom etc its madness that there's no compulsory health check or anything just left for the driver to decide if they feel ok or not!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
This is an interesting take on the subject : Broken Link Removed
Worth reading in its entirety after which you might agree some of the 100 year old drivers reached that age because they were still driving.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
utter lunacy letting the over 70s self certify

at least a cut down test to prove driving ability should be mandatory

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
This is an interesting take on the subject : Broken Link Removed
Worth reading in its entirety after which you might agree some of the 100 year old drivers reached that age because they were still driving.

That's an eye-opening read DB, thanks.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
utter lunacy letting the over 70s self certify

at least a cut down test to prove driving ability should be mandatory

Despite the fact that 70 is only four and a half away for me I have to agree given the mayhem my F-in-Law causes just pulling out from his parking slot!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I don't see a driving licence as an absolute right, I see it as an earned privilege and responsibility. a car or other motor vehicle is a piece of machinery and potentially deadly. would anyone expect to not get recertified if they operated any other dangerous machine??

I have said before. I took the keys off 2 elderly relatives when their driving became dangerous and have instructed my daughter to do the same with me if necessary. I don't want to be responsible for anyone else's death caused by me being too stubborn to admit I no longer have the ability to drive safely

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
I don't see a driving licence as an absolute right, I see it as an earned privilege and responsibility. a car or other motor vehicle is a piece of machinery and potentially deadly. would anyone expect to not get recertified if they operated any other dangerous machine??

I have said before. I took the keys off 2 elderly relatives when their driving became dangerous and have instructed my daughter to do the same with me if necessary. I don't want to be responsible for anyone else's death caused by me being too stubborn to admit I no longer have the ability to drive safely

Can't say fairer than that and I totally agree.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
They have very similar but blue and with that 'fec#in' beep-beep when it's reversing and all the old un's lookin dead embarrassed in the back!
Right. RN transport then.........:):)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Blanket laws in my mind are never fair. For many elderly or centenarians living in remote areas who use their car just to get to the jym or maybe play tennis or get them to the cross country running club to enable them to keep fit should not be given the same test designed for young drivers who could cover 100 k motorway or London miles each year.
Many elderly use their car as a lifeline to travel along deserted roads at low speeds, I dont see a problem with that.
Besides.....everyday of my driving life I see many many middle-aged drivers who's ability leaves a lot to be desired. Most if questioned would think their driving is impeccable. Only if the hat fits.:whistle:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
At 71 I drive a 4600kg vehicle on all types of road, at times towing a car on a trailer. To do this I have to take a very stringent eye sight test and physical medical to maintain my C1+E licence. Having driven large coaches for a living when younger, I feel that I am capable of still driving this tiddler through Europe. Age is not the important factor, it is capability.

I have to have my eyes tested every 3 years. The day I find this a problem then I will downgrade and rent bricks and mortar again. Incidentally I have impaired vision in my left eye, so the eye test is very stringent. With field of vision testing and approval by DVLAs medical group. I have had this vision problem from childhood (as a result of measles) and my brain only reacts monopicaly. Trying to improve the vision in the other eye simply makes me see double.

The through medical takes about an hour on top of the eye test. I have spoken to HGV drivers who tell me their medical takes no more than 10 minutes. At that short time it is just a tick box exercise and not a through medical.

The self certification of car drivers in my opinion is flawed. Every driver should have to pass a stringent medical every few years not just tick a few boxes. That applies to younger drivers as well.

Our routine is rise early and drive 2 hours. Take a long lunch break. Drive a further 2 hours and then find somewhere to overnight. Hardly a stressful way of life.

John

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back