led bulbs upgrade (1 Viewer)

Aug 8, 2013
CHESTER
Funster No
MH
Hymer 544
Exp
Since 2006
Hi, I am considering changing the interior bulbs to led to save a bit of battery power. Does anyone have any recommendations on the best places to purchase these? I have looked on ebay, but some of the feedback on some of the bulbs sound quite dangerous.

thanks.

oozzie

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've bought some LEDs from eBay (both China and here) as well as from Aten and Ledbulbs4U. The eBay ones aren't as well made but I haven't had any failures yet (though they are the least used ones).

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
Hi I have six mr16 warm white fitted to MH (cost £34) never used because we changed van,new van all led
can have them for £20 if you want regards Paul

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

nelly

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8090DF A Class
Exp
Since 2002
I bought 3 from the NEC show to try them before buying the rest. They were good but when i got home i thought to try e-bay an got the rest another 12 for less than the 3 from the NEC. I can see no difference in them and they have all now been in for a few years and not one failure

Nelly

electrajohnt

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I am a newbie
Hi, I am considering changing the interior bulbs to led to save a bit of battery power. Does anyone have any recommendations on the best places to purchase these? I have looked on ebay, but some of the feedback on some of the bulbs sound quite dangerous.

thanks.

oozzie

At the risk of being a little controversial. I put these in all the lights I could and first time of night time use got comments from SWMBO that they provided a lesser quality of light than the standard Halogen (if that is what they are) originals. Needless to say,knowing which side my bread is buttered:unsure:, I quickly reverted to the originals. So just bear in mind the possible consequences if you do change.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
At the risk of being a little controversial. I put these in all the lights I could and first time of night time use got comments from SWMBO that they provided a lesser quality of light than the standard Halogen (if that is what they are) originals. Needless to say,knowing which side my bread is buttered:unsure:, I quickly reverted to the originals. So just bear in mind the possible consequences if you do change.
That reminds me. One thing I normally mention in response to similar queries (and forgot) is that it is important to choose the type of LED you like. There are Warm White and Cool White and different people prefer the different types (we prefer Cool White).

The best place I've found to compare is at a show where suppliers have display boards. I suppose an alternative would be to (initially) buy one of each from eBay and compare them in situ.

Nov 12, 2010
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
5 Years

thanks.

oozzie
Thoroughly recommend this company, use them on my narrow boat and will fitting to MH when I get back and can check just what is required.
The G4H-6L warm is a great replacement for the 10w Halogen

http://www.bedazzled.uk.com

Good luck
Martin

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Not off hookup enough to worry about battery life but having had led in our last motorhome I personally would never use them.
For us to cold and harsh and does nothing for my wrinkles.
Much prefer something warm and soft but that's me drifting off topic :D

OP
OP
oozzie
Aug 8, 2013
CHESTER
Funster No
MH
Hymer 544
Exp
Since 2006
Thanks for all the comments, i have ordered a couple of ebay one warm white one cold white. Cost £1.98 for the two, so will compare them before buying more when they arrive (from china)

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Oozie,
I've a thread over on the Tech section about this very topic. Have a read of that. I 'm currently looking at some cool white for the reading lights. Not got any more yet but have removed the rectifiers as mentioned in one of the replies. Makes a difference. Check what clearances you have if going for bigger bulbs. And good luck getting access to the original bulbs. Took a bit of head scratching especially the ceiling spots in the washroom.

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
bought two types on ebay. one pack of the flat ones and one of the cylindrical type. £10 for 10 free postage. All work fine, as has been mentioned before, they are all made in China anyway! but remember they are polarity sensitive so if they dont work first time, turn over to reverse the connection.

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
One of my reading/spot light bulbs packed up so I replaced with an LED bulb from Jacksons at Arley. It's not as bright as the halogens still in situ but is just about enough for a quick read at bedtime.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back