LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I used to say FreeNav but it recently told me Scotch Corner was just outside Scarborough.... good job I check before following the instructions!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Think you ment navfree, which is ok but the google maps ,nexus comes with is fine, got us back from France many times

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab and tried all mentioned and by far the best is Co Pilot .

finding a suitable mount has been my problem .. two that I've tried so far have been useless pieces of plastic crap..

Tablets are relatively heavy so need a substantiation mount ... The first one I bought you couldn't read the map for it shaking.. the second one was little better and it kept falling off the screen..

Before paying for Co-Pilot my advice is to find a decent mount, (if one exists) then try out Google maps and Navfree ..

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab and tried all mentioned and by far the best is Co Pilot .

finding a suitable mount has been my problem .. two that I've tried so far have been useless pieces of plastic crap..

Tablets are relatively heavy so need a substantiation mount ... The first one I bought you couldn't read the map for it shaking.. the second one was little better and it kept falling off the screen..

Before paying for Co-Pilot my advice is to find a decent mount, (if one exists) then try out Google maps and Navfree ..
I have my nexus in one of those cases that fold up, and if you have a clipboard thingy in your van in the centre of the dash, I just open the case and hold the case in the clip , and the tab just sits there, never fell off and it doesn't viberate

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Just experimenting with that yesterday as a back up. Co-pilot is very good

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
I use CoPilot on my Nexus 7, which is mounted similar to how Chaser mounts his, with the addition of a small amount of self adhesive velcro to stop sway. I find the software and display excellent and got us to our destination in Agde without a hitch, the problem we have is that even with the settings set to Low Power mode it still consumes battery life quicker than can be recharged. So I am faced with either turning it off when the heading is simply followed (like on an Autoroute or Motorway) or use the same software (installed with the same licence) on my Samsung Galaxy S3 mounted on the (redundant) interior mirror with some sophisticated elastic bands!

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Yes, power consumption was something we hadn't considered. It was only as a back up anyway as we have a Pioneer App radio which is ok for navigation and music but the worlds worst radio and slightly iffy Bluetooth hands free.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Is it the co pilot that uses the power, or the tablet itself because we have never run out useing google maps

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I've used Sygic for my 7inch Asus (like Nexus but also a phone) for the last 18000 miles across much of Europe. Apart from the odd 'argument' with 'that women! it's worked fine. The mapping is from Tom Tom I believe.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
My thanks to all who have responded to this thread.

Jill has just bought a Galaxy Tab 4 7.0 so I have inherited her Tab 2 7.0 and was thinking of installing a truck sat nav to it to compare with the Noza Tec.

I'll look at Co-pilot and Sygic (always assuming I can make a mount :D).

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
You have the skills, make one. I made one that clipped in the map clip on the Ducato.
I think the trick is to use the mount as suggested by Brian but avoid the vibration by making the bottom of the tablet, suitably cushioned, rest on the dash....

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Anyone remember when Scotch Corner was a roundabout on the A1.

Yes, the roundabout is still there as is the hotel along with a camp site which is (for us) a handy distance to travel after work on the way south.

Reactions: kcy
OP
OP
PORKSTER

PORKSTER

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
playing with navfree last night and it was taking forever sometimes failing to find distant routes any ideas ? Also don't I need web connection for Google maps ? I need to get my self sorted for my trip to europe 1st nov

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I've got Navfree on the iPad and also have copilot which I got at an amazing price for both European and USA mapping. Copilot works very well, Navfree is free but you get what you pay for, really.

In the van, we use Navgate, which is the one used by Pioneer and plays on the iPhone with the appradio as a screen. That works quite well

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
My thanks to all who have responded to this thread.

Jill has just bought a Galaxy Tab 4 7.0 so I have inherited her Tab 2 7.0 and was thinking of installing a truck sat nav to it to compare with the Noza Tec.

I'll look at Co-pilot and Sygic (always assuming I can make a mount :D).

I have been trying to get igo (the Noza tec software) working on a tab 2 7.0 for some time without success (sorry shifty!). I think I need to find a 7" screen skin for android on the samsung. I have got it working on a 10" motorola xoom but mounting the larger unit is proving a problem.

I do like the igo software having used the chinese satnav for 2 years now and will have to keep trying.

John

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I've used Sygic for my 7inch Asus (like Nexus but also a phone) for the last 18000 miles across much of Europe. Apart from the odd 'argument' with 'that women! it's worked fine. The mapping is from Tom Tom I believe.
I too am a Sygic fan. I have used both Sygic and Copilot and much prefer Sygic.

On my previous phone I used to have Sygic for Europe and Copilot for when I was in the USA. Both bought a while ago when sat nav apps were much more expensive. Both bought direct without using Google Play Store. Sygic have been great - I have always been upgraded to the latest version with all the improvements and maps free of charge. Copilot I ended up on an older version because they required payment if I wanted the new "enhanced" version. And with that old version updated maps became less and less frequent. Sygic subsequently linked updates to my Play Store account so I can use it on up to 3 devices and get updates quicker. Copilot did not, which meant one device only and no way to move onto another one without speaking to them.

In addition I much prefer the Sygic's user interface over Copilot's. It seemed so much more intuitive. So when I got my new phone earlier this year I easily transferred Sygic onto it, but Copilot needed me to contact them and jump through hoops. At the time Sygic had a sale on and so I bought the North America maps for about £17 I think. So I now use only Sygic.

The only thing that annoys me about Sygic is that they use their own format (.rupi) for POIs. They do provide a converter so you can put your own on, but it is just another step I could do without.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I too am a Sygic fan. I have used both Sygic and Copilot and much prefer Sygic.

On my previous phone I used to have Sygic for Europe and Copilot for when I was in the USA. Both bought a while ago when sat nav apps were much more expensive. Both bought direct without using Google Play Store. Sygic have been great - I have always been upgraded to the latest version with all the improvements and maps free of charge. Copilot I ended up on an older version because they required payment if I wanted the new "enhanced" version. And with that old version updated maps became less and less frequent. Sygic subsequently linked updates to my Play Store account so I can use it on up to 3 devices and get updates quicker. Copilot did not, which meant one device only and no way to move onto another one without speaking to them.

In addition I much prefer the Sygic's user interface over Copilot's. It seemed so much more intuitive. So when I got my new phone earlier this year I easily transferred Sygic onto it, but Copilot needed me to contact them and jump through hoops. At the time Sygic had a sale on and so I bought the North America maps for about £17 I think. So I now use only Sygic.

The only thing that annoys me about Sygic is that they use their own format (.rupi) for POIs. They do provide a converter so you can put your own on, but it is just another step I could do without.
You can also use camper contact with sygic, thanks for that input, that makes my mind up for me.
I have the galaxy tab s ,8.4" so interested in the mounting replies too.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I tried Co-pilot and Sygic but wasn't impressed, when compared to the Nozatec, so never bothered trying to make a mount.

I suppose I could try Igo for Android on the Samsung but the Nozatec works OK so not worth paying out the money

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back