Zebra

Free Member
Jul 25, 2008
Sunny Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 2.1
Greetings,
We don't have a water filter fitted in our camper van. What does anyone think, should we have one? If so, any advice on which one?

Thanks.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Greetings,
We don't have a water filter fitted in our camper van. What does anyone think, should we have one? If so, any advice on which one?

Thanks.
Not worth worrying about as there isn't already one in place. I don't have one in my campervan but it's never been a problem. My water supply is simply a plastic container which holds enough water for two or three days, and a pump.

If you are in 'unfamiliar territory' and don't want to chance the local water supply, buy bottled....only make sure you get still and not gassed as i did when on the Ukraine border. Rather than chuck it away, it travelled all the way back with me to the UK!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jakeontour

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
In front of this computer when I should be out in
Funster No
Hi

I've had a General Ecology water filter and tap fitted to my 'vans for the past 8 years. Brilliant bit of kit that gives genuinely pure water from almost any source. Not cheap, but saves all the cost and hassle of buying and carrying bottled water.

To give an idea of costs, the £40 filter last in excess of 200 nights supplying all drinking and cooking water. Oh, and you get a fantastic brew without any of the odd tastes, scum or other nasties.:Smile:

Hope this helps

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We need to get a good filter in the motorhome. I bought 1 litre of water at a service station on the M4 last weekend, it only cost £1.99:Eeek:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
We need to get a good filter in the motorhome. I bought 1 litre of water at a service station on the M4 last weekend, it only cost £1.99:Eeek:

It wasn't the well known brand "Peckham Spring" was it Jim?:RollEyes:

Link Removed

2escapees

Deleted User
Not sure I agree with the "don't bother" replies it all depends where you go. We have a nature pure filter and NEVER buy bottled water and we travel alot. The filter has been tried and tested and never failed on trips around North Africa and The Middle East and this year to Beijing and back!

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I don't agree with the don't bother line either.

We have a Sureflo Waterguard fitted to our cold kitchen tap it works perfectly. You can use it to filter any foul tasting water you may have to use when travelling it even made the Moroccan water taste good some of which was disgusting stuff and no upset tummy.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Not sure I agree with the "don't bother" replies it all depends where you go. We have a nature pure filter and NEVER buy bottled water and we travel alot. The filter has been tried and tested and never failed on trips around North Africa and The Middle East and this year to Beijing and back!

Agree wholeheartedly... we are fulltime, our Nature Pure filter lasts about a year. Great product, worth every penny. :thumb:

Jim

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi

I've had a General Ecology water filter and tap fitted to my 'vans for the past 8 years. Brilliant bit of kit that gives genuinely pure water from almost any source. Not cheap, but saves all the cost and hassle of buying and carrying bottled water.

To give an idea of costs, the £40 filter last in excess of 200 nights supplying all drinking and cooking water. Oh, and you get a fantastic brew without any of the odd tastes, scum or other nasties.:Smile:

Hope this helps

we have this one as well.
expensive at £140 but well worth the money.
unless you bought the van new you dont know what the previous owner put in the water tank :whatthe: or how often, if ever, it was cleaned out.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i use a royal doulton filter , ceramicfilter with silver inlay . bought from a well known landrover specialst. works good . i also visit way out places. i dont use it all the time most places in europe n maroc you can get good drinking water but if you feel unsure its good to have clean water. get a good one its a waste to just buy a filter if it doesnt take out most things like clorine ,

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Thats because you were in the UK Jim.......you don't buy bottled water here unless you have money to burn!

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
The thread poster doesn't have a fancy filter fitted in his van, and he was asking if he ought to fit one or not. My view is not to bother as the costs will outweigh the benefits.

If touring in the UK the likelihood of drinking contaminated water is pretty much unheard of.....hence the reason bottled water here is hellishly expensive to buy.

If making regular tours into countries such as you mention then personally i still wouldn't risk pumping the local supply into my van for drinking purposes, filter or no filter! I'd buy bottled every time.

When i spent time touring up on the Ukraine border recently, i bought bottled there simply because i was out in a very remote area miles from 'civilisation'. It cost just a few pence for 2 litre bottles. Certainly cheaper than installing any filter which might only get used once a year!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
If touring in the UK the likelihood of drinking contaminated water is pretty much unheard of....!

While I agree that the water supplied in the UK and throughout the EU is perfectly safe straight from the tap, have you witnessed what some campers do at taps ? Flushing out toilet tanks with the emptying spout over the tap, washing dogs etc etc etc... believe me I've seen it all.. :Angry: So before connecting my hose I spray copious amounts of diluted bleach over the tap and rinse well ..

Another point, week enders are more likely to have bacteria problems than full timers due to water going stagnant in the pipework and tank between trips..

Boiled, filtered or bottled, it's your choice..

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
When i used to caravan the first thing i did when buying another van was rip the old piping out and replace it with new. I did the same when i bought my campervan. It costs a few pence and because my van is simple and basic, its a job which takes no longer than five minutes.

The only time i've had problems with tap water here has nothing to do with mh's or campervans. I drink fresh ground coffee and have a couple of Gaggia machines. I live in a very hard water area and if you don't filter the water before using in a coffee machine, the pipes fur up and block within a few weeks.

OP
OP
Zebra

Zebra

Free Member
Jul 25, 2008
Sunny Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 2.1
Thanks for all the replies. At the moment I have no plans to go anywhere outside the uk so my only potential problem would be anything 'growing' in the water system between weekends away. I accept what's been said about minging people not respecting the cleanliness of fresh water taps on sites although we (touch wood) never had a problem filling our water bottles when using a tent.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
The thread poster doesn't have a fancy filter fitted in his van, and he was asking if he ought to fit one or not. My view is not to bother as the costs will outweigh the benefits.

If touring in the UK the likelihood of drinking contaminated water is pretty much unheard of.....hence the reason bottled water here is hellishly expensive to buy.

If making regular tours into countries such as you mention then personally i still wouldn't risk pumping the local supply into my van for drinking purposes, filter or no filter! I'd buy bottled every time.

When i spent time touring up on the Ukraine border recently, i bought bottled there simply because i was out in a very remote area miles from 'civilisation'. It cost just a few pence for 2 litre bottles. Certainly cheaper than installing any filter which might only get used once a year!
trouble is not just contaminated water, chlorinated water make my coffee unpalatable, on top of that I drink 2 litres of water a day, so for me a filter would be most usefull. I actually have a filter jug, just used tor dinking water and coffee.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
I have fitted a water filter and tap kit from screwfix( about £30.00)to many m/h's- easy to fit and do a good job for not a lot of money ,replacement filters readily available also cheap recommended you change every 2000 ltrs or6 mths have also fotted them at home and just use them for drinking/cooking water. Very good for the money:Smile::Smile:
Dave:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I have fitted a water filter and tap kit from screwfix( about £30.00)to many m/h's- easy to fit and do a good job for not a lot of money ,replacement filters readily available also cheap recommended you change every 2000 ltrs or6 mths have also fotted them at home and just use them for drinking/cooking water. Very good for the money:Smile::Smile:

A lot cheaper than Nature Pure But does it purify or just filter out solids ?

Nature pure is much more than a filter...

Quote:
NATURE PURE® WATER PURIFIERS

Nature Pure water purifier is the only chemical-free system of its class certified to EPA Guide Standard for Microbiological Purifiers against bacteria, cysts, and viruses. No hold time, electricity, chemical pretreatment or double pumping required!

Nature Pure Water Purifier offers "all around protection" and bottle water quality in one compact, value loaded system!

Unquote:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
A lot cheaper than Nature Pure But does it purify or just filter out solids ?

Quote:
NATURE PURE® WATER PURIFIERS

Nature Pure water purifier is the only chemical-free system of its class certified to EPA Guide Standard for Microbiological Purifiers against bacteria, cysts, and viruses. No hold time, electricity, chemical pretreatment or double pumping required!

Nature Pure Water Purifier offers "all around protection" and bottle water quality in one compact, value loaded system!

Unquote:
Agreed Jim, boy was I glad of our Nature Pure in Morocco.:thumb:

Can anyone tell me why bottled spring water that has flowed through mountains for 1000s of years has a sell by date:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
I think it only filters ,but the water don't half taste good! We bought our last caravan earlier this year and it had an on-board tank. The water tasted very chlorinted so we took it back to the dealer.They flushed the system through and then put some ORANGE SQUASH in flushed that through and, apart from the first few cups of tea tasting like one of these infusion drinks it certainly got rid of the chlorine taste! all was well after that. It must be the acid in the orange that did it.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I think it only filters ,but the water don't half taste good! We bought our last caravan earlier this year and it had an on-board tank. The water tasted very chlorinted so we took it back to the dealer.They flushed the system through and then put some ORANGE SQUASH in flushed that through and, apart from the first few cups of tea tasting like one of these infusion drinks it certainly got rid of the chlorine taste! all was well after that. It must be the acid in the orange that did it.

hey........never thought of that..orange juice on tap...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Nature Pure Water Purifier offers "all around protection" and bottle water quality

i asked the salesman what would happen if i put beer through the filter......

he said "you know how jesus turned water into wine.........well if you......."

nuff said! :ROFLMAO:

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
Just been looking at the scewfix filter kits with a tap but they seem to require mains pressure, do they work ok on a MH?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Can anyone tell me why bottled spring water that has flowed through mountains for 1000s of years has a sell by date:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo

not such a daft question Geo,

the problem starts when its put in plastic bottles........over time chemicals and toxins leach out of the plastic into the water.:whatthe:
if they put it in glass bottles and it was kept in the proverbial cool, dark place it would probably last for years. :thumb:

and it covers the manufactures incase delboy was the supplier.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back