Dartford tunnel changes to freeflow (1 Viewer)

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
This is a snipped letter from dartford tunnel regarding free flow and dart tags
Omitted is my account detail other is as received

Dear Customer
Please find attached your Dart Tag eStatement for the previous month.

Account number: 2--------
Account name:
Statement period: 01/07/2014 to 31/07/2014

The way you pay the Dartford Crossing charge is changing.

Dart Charge - the new remote payment system being introduced from October 2014 will reduce congestion and ease traffic flow at the Crossing.

If you currently have a DART-Tag it will be easy for you to move to a new Dart Charge account.

Please ensure the contact information on your account is up to date.

As an existing Dart-Tag account holder you don't need to do anything now, you will be contacted from September 2014 with details of how to transfer to a new account.

Current DART-Tag holders will not lose any credit from their existing accounts and any remaining funds will either be transferred or refunded, as appropriate.

Once Dart Charge has been introduced, it will no longer be possible to pay the charge at a barrier as you use the Crossing. Instead, you will need to pay in advance of crossing or by midnight the following day. You will be able to pay in several ways, including; by an account, or online, by text, at one of many retail outlets or by phone.

It will still be easier to set up an account, where you can save up to one third on every crossing.

From Spring 2014, we will be doing advance construction work in the area of the Crossing to prepare for the introduction of Dart Charge. Immediately after the introduction of Dart Charge, we will start the main road works at the Crossing to remove the booths and introduce a new road layout; this work is due to be completed in spring 2015.

You can find more information and subscribe to receive updates on the introduction of Dart Charge at http://www.gov.uk/highways/dartford

Please drive carefully when approaching the booths as there are people crossing the lanes at all times. For their safety you must be able to stop your vehicle if necessary.

Regards

Customer Centre Team

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I wonder how many motorists will be caught out by the pre-payment / 24 hour after payment? I can see that people who only use the crossing once a year (or less) may not know about it.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I got the same with my Dart Tag statement. Waiting for details of the new way of paying. Will link car and van into the same account when it happens

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I wonder how many motorists will be caught out by the pre-payment / 24 hour after payment? I can see that people who only use the crossing once a year (or less) may not know about it.
My guess is that it will be well signposted and plenty of opportunity to turn off, hopefully after Junction 30, which is the last exit southbound. Otherwise just like driving into the congestion zone in central London. No different

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
My guess is that it will be well signposted and plenty of opportunity to turn off, hopefully after Junction 30, which is the last exit southbound. Otherwise just like driving into the congestion zone in central London. No different
Can you imagine the chaos as people look for the retail outlets where they can pay? Not everyone has smart phones or enough credit on their phone......

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Yes, my office is almost under the bridge - chuck a water bottle out as you go over and it will land close to my window..... It will be chaos for a few days but after that we may, just may, see less gridlock in the roads around Thurrock at rush hour..... Maybe

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I wouldn't have known about it had I not been a Funster..... but then it's a long way down from the sunny north.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I wouldn't have known about it had I not been a Funster..... but then it's a long way down from the sunny north.
You are so lucky....... Fortunately I mostly work from home when not travelling nowadays but it is awful for some colleagues who live in Kent

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
You are so lucky....... Fortunately I mostly work from home when not travelling nowadays but it is awful for some colleagues who live in Kent

What's all this about? heading for Dover in a week!
Was going M6, M1, M25 clockwise but by the sound of it I think I''ll have to go M40 & M25 anti-clock?

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
England away behind the times............I was in Sydney a few years ago and their system for collecting tolls was simple.

You could fit your car with an electronic sensor and the tolls were collected automatically from your account.
Each time you entered a (toll) tunnel you would hear an two tone pip from your device and the toll was collected.

No barriers no queues.

Better still live in Scotland ...........all tolls abolished:drink:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
What's all this about? heading for Dover in a week!
Was going M6, M1, M25 clockwise but by the sound of it I think I''ll have to go M40 & M25 anti-clock?
Not a problem - they aren't implementing it for a couple of months. Just pull up to the booth and pay your 2 quid (y)

Edit - depending on time of day, you might be better going the other way anyway, as the queues for the tolls can stretch for a long way - normal rush hour back to J30 but Friday afternoons sometimes back to J29

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Not everyone has smart phones or enough credit on their phone......

Good excuse to enter the 21 century then.

But it looks like you can phone in a CC, now surely everyone has some sort of CC. Slow though. You get through quicker then have to stop somewhere to pay.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Not a problem - they aren't implementing it for a couple of months. Just pull up to the booth and pay your 2 quid (y)

Edit - depending on time of day, you might be better going the other way anyway, as the queues for the tolls can stretch for a long way - normal rush hour back to J30 but Friday afternoons sometimes back to J29

It would be saturday afternoon about 4ish..?

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Should be ok, I would have thought. Keep an ear out for the traffic news and if you have a mobile connection, check out AA Roadwatch....... Cheers

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back