Dash Cams (1 Viewer)

Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
Hi I'm thinking of getting a dash cam for our van.

Can anyone recommend a really good cheap one? Unfortunately I probably don't have enough time to wait on a China or Hong Kong import as we travel in just over 3 weeks. There are some on eBay in the uk but it's hard to tell what the difference is. It would be good to have one record scenery as well as accident back up. I'm happy to swap memory cards for this function.

Any ideas please

Thanks

motorhome42

Free Member
Feb 12, 2010
North Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail
Exp
Since 2009
We bought a Navman from Halfords. Works well and can be used independently to take still photos and/or videos. If involved in an accident the camera keeps the "evidence" for later use.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
Try Maplins - we paid £60 but if it goes wrong we don't have to send it back to China

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I have one of these.

Broken Link Removed

Great for the money.

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
my dash camera hard wired,:Cool: controlled via ignition on/off in line fuse

Attachments

• IMG_0969.jpg
    IMG_0969.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0968.JPG
    IMG_0968.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 101

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
I have a combined interior rear view mirror and cam'. It's brilliant! It just clips over the existing mirror and is almost undetectable from the outside.

I didn't want one stuck on the windscreen with a suction cup, one that wobbled about on a dash mount, or one that could be seen. Didn't want the agg' of having to remove it each time I left the vehicle.

Unlike some of the mirror-cams (where the camera is fixed and designed for LHD vehicles) on my model, the tiny camera is rotatable 360deg, so you don't get the view partially blocked by the existing vehicle mirror assembly.

I can swap it between car and MoHo if needs-be. Just plugs into the cigar lighter socket with adequate cable to reach around the windscreen and dash.

Shame you can't wait; I bought this one via Amazon, but had to wait 10 working days. Cost me £47 but without a card. I bought a micro SD card locally. Gives me 5 hours of video.

Didn't realise it until the other day when I was reviewing the files, but have footage of Sian welcoming me to the recent Detling Show and Jim marshalling me to the pitch!

DMS

Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Feb 2, 2008
Funster No
MH
Concorde 850L
Exp
Time Began
Hi All
Aviva the UK's largest insurer have a list of insurance approved devices.
The cheapest Device on the market is the roadhawk DC-1 which are on sale directly from Roadhawk by telephone for £125.00 + vat. If you require a hardwire Kit they are an Additional £10.00 + Vat. On top of this, you must provide proof of fitting from an auto electrician. (we did our own).
They charge £40 fitting but shop about. or contact me.
As for the device its self. I have over 20 of these fitted to my fleet and they are superb. ive viewed playback on them and the quality is excellent, scrap these cheap £50 jobs if your gonna do it do it properly. And no I dont sell them before anyone asks :roflmto:.
Regards
Alan

Try Viewing there Website...http://www.roadhawk.co.uk

Last edited:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
We just bought one of these, front or rear camera,, sound,, use as a camera or Video,, small enough to fit in your pocket when not in car/M.H....

And a superb picture.. :thumb:

And cheap... :RollEyes::thumb:

Dec 2, 2010
Hollywood, Birmingham.
Funster No
MH
A Class Laika
Exp
Since 2011
Bought the one from Amazon, same as Old Mo and Mr Motorhome. It works relly well and plays back well on a PC, especilly the link to google maps. This is all played back from the micro SD card. However, if the files are saved to the PC the files are in .avi format without any GPS data. Does anyone know how to save the GPS data from the SD card?

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Bought the one from Amazon, same as Old Mo and Mr Motorhome. It works relly well and plays back well on a PC, especilly the link to google maps. This is all played back from the micro SD card. However, if the files are saved to the PC the files are in .avi format without any GPS data. Does anyone know how to save the GPS data from the SD card?

Yes we did too, very pleased with it, not sure if John /Jaws has any left over as he had ordered a few for folk...
It does what it says on the box, easy to use !
Kath

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp

I've still got the extra one I ordered accidentally - will have it with me at Malvern (unless it goes before). £30 plus you'll need a micro SD card - less than a tenner from Ebay, Amazon etc (get a Class 10, 16 or 32gb)

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We bought ours from Road Pro - great camera for £85

But SD they supply is not big enough so budget for a 32GB one.

Great HD quality playback. (y)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Bought one from Ebay from a company in Manchester a while back. I think I paid £12.99 including free postage. Am away at present so cannot give any further info on who I bought it from, but there are others selling the same model for £14.99. It comes with a suction mount for the windscreen

When it arrived it was defective. Got in touch with the supplier who said "send it back and I will send you another one and refund the postage. Fair play to him he was true to his word and did so. New one arrived and works well.

A word of warning. If like me you have a concertina blind on the windscreen you will find that anything that sticks to the windsceen is a pain - you have to take it off every evening. However I solved it by putting one of these sticky pads you can buy on the dashboard and the camera sticks to that well. My Fiat based dash has a good place just behind the clip for the noteholder.

Bulawayo Lass

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
Mud Island, nr Mudchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
long (with Brian) short (alone) medium (with Andy)
l have Roadhawk and Aviva said they do not recognise it have you got any proof they do?. And how do you mean professionaly fitted they are removeable l swap between car and CB and wouldnt leave it up when parked so that negates fitting anyhow.
EDIT
Sorry re read hardwire...does it still count if not hardwire as still wouldnt leave it up

Dec 2, 2010
Hollywood, Birmingham.
Funster No
MH
A Class Laika
Exp
Since 2011
Should have thought of that!! Do you just copy and paste to a suitable folder?.
Tried it and it works, can't rename the file, it wipes the data. Probably best to pop it into a sub folder with a date on the folder.
Thanks for the tip.

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
I have one of these.

Broken Link Removed

Great for the money.

Been using one of these in the MH and in the car for 6 months now, GPS logging, works with google maps, brilliant bit of kit.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
There are a number of similar looking but slightly more expensive ones that do have GPS but that one doesn't.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Just bought one of these. Ordered Friday afternoon and arrived Saturday morning. Image quality is very good, with a glass not plastic lens,and the file is an ordinary .AVI so easy to play back and compatible with my video editor so I can incorporate footage into other videos I make. The image is a bit softer than that from my dedicated HD camcorder and is slightly stretched horizontally when edited in with other footage (but that was 30x the price)

Broken Link Removed

It doesn't have GPS but that isn't something I wanted. This is for fitting to the toad but as the image quality is better than the alleged HD one in the MH I may get another one for that. The only time I have needed a camera for 'insurance' purposes was when a lorry removed my mirror in Scotland, the van camera image is not good enough to capture number plates although in this case the lorry was tailgating another vehicle so it's number plate was not visible.

Edit, this camera is good enough to get number plates, if the lighting is reasonable.

Last edited:

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
HI
I HAVE ONE IN COMPANY CAR AND MH EBAY 9.99 DEL WORK GREAT HAS NIGHT
VISION YOU HAVE TO BUY A SD CARD WORKS ON 5 MIN LOOP PAUL

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Thanks to Andy techno I just hard wired the one from Jaws into the power socket feed. Works nicely! Cheers Andy. (y)

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
I've mentioned this before but if you have an iPhone then you can download 'SaveDrive' It costs nothing and being a smart phone if you should be in an accident which is detected by the G-meter it'll contact the emergency services and 3 numbers of your choice + it will send tweets and emails to your chosen recipients and will tell all of them of your location. Tomorrow in the daylight I'll take another pic & post it here
Departing Hungerford 04.30 21 11 14.jpg

Sat Nav and iPhone Dash Cam.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back