Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Is it possible to leave your M/H on EHU indefinitely whilst at home (which is what I currently do), just read a thread where someone indicated this not possible any info please

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
don't see any reason why not, may need to keep eye on hab battery for overcharging, as someone has found out,

Alan,

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
I leave mine on at nights throughout the winter, to run a small oil filled heater, EHU switched off during the day, unless of course it's still freezing.
It's set just above freezing.
The batteries haven't suffered for it at all and the van is nice and snuff dry.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Our is on 247/365 whilst in the garage. I pop in every few days and check the battery monitor a BMV-600S and every 10/12 days run batteries off charge on a 2/5 amp draw for a day or so. To date works for me.

Chris69

Free Member
Feb 5, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
since 2006
Hi I used to leave our MH on EHU all the time but it caused a problem with the leisure battery.
I found that the battery fluid had leaked and when I asked Auto-Sleeper what had caused it they said it was because I had left it on charge all the time without any power being drawn from it.
Now I leave electric connected but without the charger switched on. I check vehicle and leisure batteries every few days and switch charger on as needed .
There is more drain on vehicle battery because of alarm and tracker. If voltage drops too low for tracker I get a call from Phantom so I try to avoid this.
Chris

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
We full time and on ehu permanently when at our 'base'
Only off hookup when away about once a month - more in the summer!
Never had an issue.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Depends on your charger type.

Older anologue chargers can cook your battery.
Modern multistage chargers can be left on indefinately as they drop to a maintenance charge when the battery is fully charged.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Our is on 247/365 whilst in the garage. I pop in every few days and check the battery monitor a BMV-600S and every 10/12 days run batteries off charge on a 2/5 amp draw for a day or so. To date works for me.

Could you say that in English please?:( I really want to know the answer to the thread question.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
My Autotrail is meant to have a "brainy" charger and should be ok to leave 24/7. So we have since it was new.

Our batteries are approaching three years old and still good. (y)

Bulawayo Lass

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
Mud Island, nr Mudchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
long (with Brian) short (alone) medium (with Andy)
Well Brian always left the hookup on l don't know if he checked anything but l doubt it but as an electrician he may have done and didn't bother saying. However l just plug CB in and leave him, l wouldn't know where to check things out. He does have a 100w solar panel and double leisure don't think l have any problems.

OP
OP
Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Thank you for all the replies, thought as much can't see from a technical point of view why it couldn't , mine is a new van, but having read a recent post concerning a new bailey van where the manufacture has said it's not to left on EHU permantley was looking to the funsters for there experience when leaving there M/H on permeant EHU

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Could you say that in English please?:( I really want to know the answer to the thread question.

I thought it was English, but none the less:

(Q) Is it possible to leave your M/H on EHU indefinitely whilst at home (which is what I currently do), just read a thread where someone indicated this not possible any info please

(A) Yes it is possible to leave your MH ( MotorHome ) on EHU ( Electric Hook UP ) indefinitely.

The BMV-600S you can find here:
Broken Link Removed

Joy, I hope that helps.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
Both MoHo I have had the converter claims to have a battery charger but in fact its just a simple power supply unit (PSU). These enable 12V equipment to run from the mains. Since both have had a no load output of 13.7V and are connected to the leisure battery they also act as a float charger. After a day or so on EHU the battery is at 13.7V with a charge of next to nothing, the battery monitor reads 0A or 0.1A. At that current it can be left connected permanently with no damage to the battery.
I have no experience of MoHo with sophisticated multi-stage chargers, do they exit?

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Both MoHo I have had the converter claims to have a battery charger but in fact its just a simple power supply unit (PSU). These enable 12V equipment to run from the mains. Since both have had a no load output of 13.7V and are connected to the leisure battery they also act as a float charger. After a day or so on EHU the battery is at 13.7V with a charge of next to nothing, the battery monitor reads 0A or 0.1A. At that current it can be left connected permanently with no damage to the battery.
I have no experience of MoHo with sophisticated multi-stage chargers, do they exit?

If you have no onboard charger then this would be a good option for you.

If you just have the one battery you could try the MXS 5.0 is an advanced microprocessor controlled battery charger with automatic temperature compensation built in providing unrivalled performance on lead-acid batteries from 1.2Ah up to 110Ah.

Link: http://www.ctek.com/gb/en/chargers/MXS 5.0

or

If you have 2 or more batteries the one to get is the MXS 25 is a fully automatic 8-step charger that delivers 25A to 12V batteries from 40–500Ah. The charger is IP 44 classified (outdoor use), designed to protect vehicle electronics and non-sparking, reverse polarity protected and short-circuit proof.

Link: http://www.ctek.com/gb/en/chargers/MXS 25

I have an onboard charger, but found that it took ages to charge the 3 x 110Ah batteries I have fitted. After looking around for a better option I went for the MXS 25 as I can leave it on 247 / 365 whilst the MH is parked up at home in garage. I can use it when in camp sites on EHU, but for me the main reason was when off EHU "wide camping" I can run the genny up and the MXS 25 charges the batteries in 1/3 of the time it would take on the onboard system ( on board supplies about 8amps ) without overloading the genny ( Honda 10i ) Expensive but keeps batteries in tip top condition.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back