Free Member
Apr 2, 2012
Streatham
Funster No
MH
bedford rascal nipper
Exp
I'm a newbie
Ok, you clever techy sorts. A week ago I was having a little party in my van and when all the wine had gone we resorted to cocoa. (Tragic I know.) as I was filling the sink to wash up the tap stopped and lights went out. Flat leisure battery thinks I and switching on torch resolve to was up when I get home. On getting home I turn in and a weird pulsating motor starts up outside. Eventually at about 2.30a.m. I am so irritated by the noise and obviously inconsiderate neighbours, I go to investigate. My red face glows in the darling as I realize it's my pump and the water is pouring all over the place from my waste pipe. I switch off the tap and light and skuttle back to bed mildly baffled as to how to battery suddenly came to life again.

Now I am getting van ready to hit the road tomorrow-charging up battery and filling water but lo,the tap and lights will not function! Now, have I done something dreadful, burned something out, or is it more likely to be a fuse? If I have done something dreadful what kind of place do I need to go to fix it? I take the van to a mechanic more often than I care to mention but who do you take it to for this sort of thing?

OP
OP
mandymops

mandymops

Free Member
Apr 2, 2012
Streatham
Funster No
MH
bedford rascal nipper
Exp
I'm a newbie
Sorry about all the auto-corrects. (Note to self: Read before posting.) but you get the gist.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Sounds like a poor connection somewhere - lights and pump goes off then magically comes back on again. With a blown fuse the pump would not have started again. I can only suggest jiggling the leads connected to the leisure battery or batteries, assuming it has one. Otherwise just jiggle any wire you can see!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
mandymops

mandymops

Free Member
Apr 2, 2012
Streatham
Funster No
MH
bedford rascal nipper
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hmmmm.....I fear I may need to resort to an expert jiggler. Where does one go to for electrics problems in the habitation bit? Also, when jiggling I found something which I thought was part of the van but it was just sitting there. I shall see if I can get a picture up. What on earth is it? Should I worry?
image.jpg

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
I agree it sounds like a bad battery connection, or possibly a fault on the battery switch/relay.
the item in your pic is called jack, a usefull fellow if you have a puncture.

OP
OP
mandymops

mandymops

Free Member
Apr 2, 2012
Streatham
Funster No
MH
bedford rascal nipper
Exp
I'm a newbie
There's a wee box with switches under a seat which I've never touched. Is that where the battery switch relay is?

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
It would help to know what van you have? Do you have a control panel? usually above or near the hab door.
when you say the lights & pump stopped, was that all, or did everything that is 12v stop working?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I fear Jack needs to be retired. He might make a useful doorstop. He should have shiny chromy bits but now I fear has developed something of a patina of age. It comes to us all. Seized up and useless.

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
Don
Hmmmm.....I fear I may need to resort to an expert jiggler. Where does one go to for electrics problems in the habitation bit? Also, when jiggling I found something which I thought was part of the van but it was just sitting there. I shall see if I can get a picture up. What on earth is it? Should I worry?View attachment 38074
don't panic its only an old bottle jack, nothing to do with the electrics, but it does lift the vehicle

OP
OP
mandymops

mandymops

Free Member
Apr 2, 2012
Streatham
Funster No
MH
bedford rascal nipper
Exp
I'm a newbie
image.jpg
Bedford rascal nipper and tap and three little lights is all I have. I'll show you the box I mean. No control panel-it's all a bit basic. I've only ever used a hook-up twice but have never touched this box. I am wondering if I'm meant to and where the switches should be. I've just noticed the button which says,"Press Monthly." ???? Have just pressed it for the first time in the three years I've had the van. Is this important?

OP
OP
mandymops

mandymops

Free Member
Apr 2, 2012
Streatham
Funster No
MH
bedford rascal nipper
Exp
I'm a newbie
Don
don't panic its only an old bottle jack, nothing to do with the electrics, but it does lift the vehicle
Aaah. No idea how it works but, hey ho, at least it's not part of the hamster wheel I lovingly call an engine.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Could it be that your auxiliary battery has gone past its sell by date ? Not holding a good charge?
Then when driving sufficient charge has gone back so as to activate the pump then zilch a few hours later .
Just a thought

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
OK, thats for the 230v not the12v & you push the switch to check that the trips work(plugged in of course) nothing to do with your problem.

OP
OP
mandymops

mandymops

Free Member
Apr 2, 2012
Streatham
Funster No
MH
bedford rascal nipper
Exp
I'm a newbie
No, I don't think so. I'm charging the battery now and it usually just blows the fuse of the charger if it's completely dead. Seems to be charging ok.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I suspect this little MH doesn't have a leisure battery.

The "press monthly" thing is just to test the circuit breaker is working, but as already mentioned this is for the 240v side of the electrics.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
Could it be that your auxiliary battery has gone past its sell by date ? Not holding a good charge?
Then when driving sufficient charge has gone back so as to activate the pump then zilch a few hours later .
Just a thought

Not likely or the pump & lights would come on as soon as the engine started.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
I suspect this little MH doesn't have a leisure battery.
Likely, in which case does it have a "battery saver" that disconnects at a certain voltage?
Still doesn't explain why the pump didn't start with the engine?

OP
OP
mandymops

mandymops

Free Member
Apr 2, 2012
Streatham
Funster No
MH
bedford rascal nipper
Exp
I'm a newbie
No, it does have a leisure battery! Not much else but it does have one. I'm charging it at present. Should be nearly full of charge by now.

Reactions: DBK

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
I would say that your leisure battery is probably knackered .sounds like it ran flat when you first had the problem, as you drove home the battery has gained some charge via the vehicle split charging system hence the pump and light working again, but it seems it has since lost any charge it had as you now have the same problem again. The item in your last picture is nothing to do with the 12volt system, it is your mains 240v consumer unit ,the test button is just to check that the trip works, but mains power must be connected for this to function.

OP
OP
mandymops

mandymops

Free Member
Apr 2, 2012
Streatham
Funster No
MH
bedford rascal nipper
Exp
I'm a newbie
I would say that your leisure battery is probably knackered .sounds like it ran flat when you first had the problem, as you drove home the battery has gained some charge via the vehicle split charging system hence the pump and light working again, but it seems it has since lost any charge it had as you now have the same problem again. The item in your last picture is nothing to do with the 12volt system, it is your mains 240v consumer unit ,the test button is just to check that the trip works, but mains power must be connected for this to function.
Makes sense. Hadn't given it a good run or used the charger in an age. I'll see what it's like when the charger says it's fully charged.

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi mandypops, please forgive the familiarity but I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed your post. Really refreshing when someone who doesn't know just asks (y)
Keep on enjoying your travels.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
The jack is a hydraulic bottle jack and needs a handle usually found in 2 or 3 parts of tubular steel to fit in the the obvious hole in the heavy bit. It might work or may be seized as has already been suggested. Good type of jack for lifting motorhomes if of the right capacity and easier to use than a scissors jack.

OP
OP
mandymops

mandymops

Free Member
Apr 2, 2012
Streatham
Funster No
MH
bedford rascal nipper
Exp
I'm a newbie
The jack is a hydraulic bottle jack and needs a handle usually found in 2 or 3 parts of tubular steel to fit in the the obvious hole in the heavy bit. It might work or may be seized as has already been suggested. Good type of jack for lifting motorhomes if of the right capacity and easier to use than a scissors jack.
I'll have to investigate though I'm not sure where you would place it. I'll search for a solid bit-could take some time.....

OP
OP
mandymops

mandymops

Free Member
Apr 2, 2012
Streatham
Funster No
MH
bedford rascal nipper
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi mandypops, please forgive the familiarity but I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed your post. Really refreshing when someone who doesn't know just asks (y)
Keep on enjoying your travels.
It's so nice that people answer so kindly. I do feel such an ignoramus but on the upside, I'm a whizz at interior decor. Have made cushions, curtains, rugs and blankets- all very pretty. I just wish the man stuff would behave.

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
?..............I just wish the man stuff would behave.
Since when do you expect "Man Stuff" to behave. "Man Stuff" works when you don't need it to then packs up just when you need it. It has taken us men millions of years to get to that degree of sophistication!!!

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
from the fact that yoiur charging the battery at home before each trip it sounds like you dont have a split charge system or is not working you realy need a auto electrician to check it over
if you dont have a split charged and your charging and flattening the battery each trip its not going to last long
the fact that it stopped and then restarted suggests a loose connection or dodgy switch
unlikley to be the pump as you say the lights failed at the same time i would be looking at the battery connections or maybe theres a point along the wiring that feeds both with a dodgy connection also remember to check earth connections as this could be shared as well
maybe a few more pics of your battery wiring and switches might help us pick out the likley places for a fault to occur
im in east london and willing to take a look if you fancy an hours drive over one evening

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
He should have shiny chromy bits but now I fear has developed something of a patina of age.

Deb'n Beekeeper,

I cant wait to meet a poster that uses such eloquence at one of the get togethers (or sooner as we both live in Deb'n).......do you happen to like red wine by any chance :rolleyes:

The Tinca's

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
mandymops

mandymops

Free Member
Apr 2, 2012
Streatham
Funster No
MH
bedford rascal nipper
Exp
I'm a newbie
from the fact that yoiur charging the battery at home before each trip it sounds like you dont have a split charge system or is not working you realy need a auto electrician to check it over
if you dont have a split charged and your charging and flattening the battery each trip its not going to last long
the fact that it stopped and then restarted suggests a loose connection or dodgy switch
unlikley to be the pump as you say the lights failed at the same time i would be looking at the battery connections or maybe theres a point along the wiring that feeds both with a dodgy connection also remember to check earth connections as this could be shared as well
maybe a few more pics of your battery wiring and switches might help us pick out the likley places for a fault to occur
I'm in east london and willing to take a look if you fancy an hours drive over one evening
Wow,how kind! I've charged it now and no joy. Also tried to jiggle bits and pieces ( of wiring,, that is) and no joy. Everything seems firm but very Heath Robinson. I think with my ancient little sardine can I would be laughed off the forecourt if I went to one of the engineering places I've seen online. I can just see them sucking their teeth and telling me to scrap it. If you really mean it, I may very we'll need your help. I'm in Streatham. Where are you? I'm off to the Witterings tomorrow, I suppose with lanterns and water carrier, but will be back on Thursday.

OP
OP
mandymops

mandymops

Free Member
Apr 2, 2012
Streatham
Funster No
MH
bedford rascal nipper
Exp
I'm a newbie
Actually, I've found a chap 25 minutes away who seems unshockable and has a soft spot for lost cause vans at Autolec so I'll see what he can do when I get back from my little jaunt, but thank you so much for your extremely kind offer.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back