Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
Having read all the scary stories about being stopped & fined whilst abroad I decided to check my plated weights. Auto Trail state my Cheyenne 634 is rated at 3400 kg. No problem I assumed, the previously owner stuck to this & travelled all over Europe without any problems. I'm thinking now that he was lucky & was never pulled over & checked.
I've gone all over the van (a 2000 year model) and there is no plate for autotrail stating the maximum as 3400 kg. The only plate is the Fiat one on the slam panel under the bonnet which states the max as 3200 kg. So I've been driving thousands of miles technically almost 200 kg overweight as far as I could evidence if stopped by the police!
Also, there is nothing on the V5 regarding max weight, it's been left blank.
I reckon Autotrail have not plated the weight or told the DVLA back in 2000.
I phoned Autotrail giving all the details of my van, I had the build serial number but I never got far enough to have that conversation!
The gentleman I spoke to confirmed the correct weight as 3400 kg but in the same breath said that as my van is 14 yrs old it predates the present company and they would not supply a plate due to not having the paperwork to evidence it (but he was able to confirm the weight!).
He told me where the plate should be. On the passenger door pillar(1st place I looked).
So that was me stuffed!
I've just sent off an enquiry form to SvTech to see if they can help me out . Ah well, rant over, feel a bit better now:)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
On the plate under the bonnet, it should also give your axle max load weights. Adding them together can be helpful in explaining to police type peeps if stopped. My gross is 3200, (Hymer Camp), but the axle load totals 3300. V5 is of coarse 3500. :)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
On the plate under the bonnet, it should also give your axle max load weights. Adding them together can be helpful in explaining to police type peeps if stopped. My gross is 3200, (Hymer Camp), but the axle load totals 3300. V5 is of coarse 3500. :)
So doesn't that mean that you can't load more than 3200, surely the V5 is wrong.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
gibbon

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
My axle weights total 3440 kg so that could be of some help if stopped.
Thanks for that(y)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
So doesn't that mean that you can't load more than 3200, surely the V5 is wrong.

The only weight stated on my V5 is 3500.

The original unladen weight was 2800, max weight WAS 3100, (but at some time in the past that has been changed to 3200). Front axle 1600, rear axle 1700, total=3300. Yea I know, but hey.........

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
dvla will have been told the weights by someone else.

but most v5 dont show weights . be nice if they did .
should think sv tec can sort it . they may need to inspect the vehicle .

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Our owners manual says 3300 but the plates and V5 say 3500.

We had it weighed (fully loaded and with full tanks and passengers) and it was 3100. that was before we had the bikes.

We will have to be careful not to accumulate junk.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Your GVW is the important one, and you would be deemed to be overloaded even if neither of your axle weights were exceeded.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I dont believe you can't add the two axle weights together and come up with a new gross weight. Each weight is the maximum for that axle but the combination of both axle loads cannot exceed the gross.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I dont believe you can't add the two axle weights together and come up with a new gross weight. Each weight is the maximum for that axle but the combination of both axle loads cannot exceed the gross.
That's correct - you can't. Individual axle allowances accommodate uneven loading (or indeed the build of the vehicle) and to be legal neither axle should be carrying more that its plated maximum AND the total vehicle weight must not exceed that marked on the plate.

I wouldn't expect the converter to attach another plate after the motorhome body was attached because legally it would have to repeat the information on the base vehicle manufacturers plate. The Police or VOSA will only look at the base vehicle manufacturers plate.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
[QUOTE="tonyidle, post: 1066489,

I wouldn't expect the converter to attach another plate after the motorhome body was attached because legally it would have to repeat the information on the base vehicle manufacturers plate. The Police or VOSA will only look at the base vehicle manufacturers plate.[/QUOTE]

Incorrect, my van has THREE plates, one from Fiat, one from Adria & one from SV Tech. All show different weights.The police & VOSA will go off the plate with the gross which matches the vosa records (which should match the V5) & then use the axle weights from that plate,

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Mine has two plates, one from the converter and one from the original base vehicle. The weights are the same and match the V5.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
No, not at all.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
Puddleduck ost: 1066533 said:
Mine has two plates, one from the converter and one from the original base vehicle. The weights are the same and match the V5.
Ask Dux nicely & he'll introduce you to a dodgy guy who can fix that :rofl::rofl:

OP
OP
gibbon

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
Got my plate(sticker) & covering papers from SvTech today.
According to their quite comprehensive instructions if the taxation class is not changing & the revenue weight is blank on the V5 then I don't have to inform DVLA , which in turn means they don't have to lose all my paperwork for me.
RESULT!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
[QUOTE="tonyidle, post: 1066489,

I wouldn't expect the converter to attach another plate after the motorhome body was attached because legally it would have to repeat the information on the base vehicle manufacturers plate. The Police or VOSA will only look at the base vehicle manufacturers plate.

Incorrect, my van has THREE plates, one from Fiat, one from Adria & one from SV Tech. All show different weights.The police & VOSA will go off the plate with the gross which matches the vosa records (which should match the V5) & then use the axle weights from that plate,[/QUOTE]

You are correct. VOSA should hold the base vehicle plate information. Any other is irrelevant (and very hard to understand why it exists). The base manufacturer designs the chassis and components to carry a particular maximum. Whatever happens after that cannot change that information unless ............ If the vehicle is down-plated to keep it under 3500Kg the chassis plate (and VOSA records) should be changed to match. Alternatively if it is upgraded to carry more weight (SV Tech) then their plate should replace the original or be arranged to obviously override the original and VOSA would again be informed. It's possible that use of an Alko rear chassis will change things & that might result in a converters plate But leaving a vehicle with multiple plates is slip-shod and sure to confuse an owner.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
SV tech plate is now a tamper proof sticker. I stuck it next to the Pilote one

OP
OP
gibbon

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
Wow! I've asked a question nobody knows the answer to. That's a first on here!!!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
well if you volunteer to lower a weight dvla or as was changed these things . if you upped a weight either companies like sv tec or yourself visited a vosa test station and got it checked and altered .
as to who ?well cant give you that exactly .
certainly if i went to our local office that was neville there would sort the lowering for me .
hope that helps .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back