LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2008
Neath, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Nearly 4 years
Well it looks like at least one thing fail to make the transfer to the new web site.

RIP The Thursday Quiz Night, died of apathy and disinterest.

Ah well time to move on then.

Peter

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
I think it's my fault, people got fed up with me winning, sorry. :giggler:

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
Ive just resurected the Thursday night beer in the pup (y)

Also found out its closing :D here come Tesco :ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
:(:(:(:(Just don`t seem to have the time or get on too late, Shame

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
only just got back from the campsite, the chatroom in general failed to make the transition, a shoutbox just does not do it. It was a place where people met and got to know each other before meeting up at a rally, many friendships were formed in there that will outlast the shoutbox (can hardly call it a chatroom) I'm sorry about the quiz the apathy finally got it. RIP and thanks Peter for your many hours in keeping it going as long as you have.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Shame... it could be revived???

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
What's the difference between a chatroom and a shoutbox? they look the same to me but then again I never frequented chat often.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Sorry. I would have done the quiz but I dozed off. :-(
Sanding these bloody floors is killing me. I've never had so many bruises ( from moving furniture and dropping sander on my arm!)

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
only just got back from the campsite, the chatroom in general failed to make the transition, a shoutbox just does not do it. It was a place where people met and got to know each other before meeting up at a rally, many friendships were formed in there that will outlast the shoutbox (can hardly call it a chatroom) I'm sorry about the quiz the apathy finally got it. RIP and thanks Peter for your many hours in keeping it going as long as you have.

Well I'm sorry if the quiz night doesn't return, not that I've frequented it too often, but every time I visited the chat room there was no-one there Roger.

I noticed every time you welcomed someone new to the forum you added "check out the Chat Room" but I never found anyone there when I visited except for quiz night, so I think it must have meant more to you than most Roger.:wait:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
@Wildman The chatroom we have now is more inclusive than the last, everyone can use it, whether on a phone, tablet, Mac or PC. People struggled with the old one. Yes it is not as fully fledged as our last one but for real time chatting it is fine. It's not as buggy either as the old chat was always falling over. I know you and a handful of others are chatroom fans. But even the old one had less than a dozen regular users and was mostly empty 22 hours a day.

@peter H I wouldn't call the quiz dead yet, let's see if we can rejuvenate it. I'm sure we can (y)

Reactions: JJ

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
What's the difference between a chatroom and a shoutbox? they look the same to me but then again I never frequented chat often.

Their used to be lot of difference, in as much as fully fledged chat rooms need to be run in a Java or similar environment which means not everyone had access, phones/tablets etc. Shoutboxes were mini chat rooms but if any more than 6 people were chatting it could not cope and would slow the server to a crawl. But this new system is built in html5 and can easily handle 100 people at time using very little server resources; while all responses/chats are delivered to the browser in precise order making it ideal for quizzing and general chatting.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Peter.... once the summer is out the way, and the long damp windy miserable days are upon us, I shall revive the daily quiz`s..

They seemed quite popular when first started with upwards of 20 or so participating, but as the summer got nearer it dropped off to just 2 or 3... that is why I knocked it on the head..

But as said, in the Autumn I will revive them... (y)

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Well it looks like at least one thing fail to make the transfer to the new web site.

RIP The Thursday Quiz Night, died of apathy and disinterest.

Ah well time to move on then.

Peter
Hi Peter, it may just be the time of year that there is no interest at moment. Funsters may just be enjoying the sunshine or like us at moment internet very poor. We never did the quiz bu have popped in a few times. I'm sure it will pick up when funsters get used to new site and the chat room. To be honest the chat room frightens me a little, I tend to go in and come out very quicly . Maybe when winter comes we could do discussion theme nights ect to get funsters who don't use the chat room usng it like ourselves. Sorry to ramble on x Kate

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I have gone in the chat room several times in the new system and either find someone to chat to or not long missed someone.
I would agree come winter time will see it a lot busier.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I though it was killed off with the new software didn't even know we had one no so whar is it hiding ?

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
@Wildman The chatroom we have now is more inclusive than the last, everyone can use it, whether on a phone, tablet, Mac or PC. People struggled with the old one. Yes it is not as fully fledged as our last one but for real time chatting it is fine. It's not as buggy either as the old chat was always falling over. I know you and a handful of others are chatroom fans. But even the old one had less than a dozen regular users and was mostly empty 22 hours a day.

@peter H I wouldn't call the quiz dead yet, let's see if we can rejuvenate it. I'm sure we can (y)
The old chatroom opened in a separate tab and had an audible warning when someone arrived, so it was possible for those with normal hearing to be browsing elsewhere and change to chat when someone came in. That is not possible with the shoutbox and no one is going to sit for hours watching a blank screen in the hope someone will come in. I have always championed the chatroom and did use it a lot; however accommodating phone and tablet users has effectively killed it for everyone. The rot set in with the old chatroom when an "UPGRADE" to accommodate phone and tablet users who never actually utilised chat wiped out the picture module and also for a while the webcam. It slowly died from that point on. Change is enevitable you win some and lose some. One portion of community building that worked well for those who could not for one reason or another attend meets is now virtually defunct. The many carers who were stuck indoors have to change to FB now. RIP the chatroom

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Probably like many others, a combination of attending rallies, travelling around with erratic internet and good weather so that I don't want to be stuck on the computer has meant I haven't attempted the Thursday quiz for a while. Once we get into the autumn I'm up for a resurrection - I even have a quiz prepared ready in case I win! :winky:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
People pass the time of day with chat everyday, it's what the u shaped lounge is for and you don't need a bell to tell you when a response has been made you can use it in real time or at your leisure, it works well and is the most popular part of the forum. The chat room has never been used by more than a literally a handful of members. Most people, 99% of them, don't like the chat medium. Chat rooms died as forums grew. The Facebook chat function is pretty much the same as we are using here.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
To be honest the chat room frightens me a little, I tend to go in and come out very quicly .

Have to agree, don't know about frightened but on the rare occasion I clicked on chat it seemed I was intruding on other folks private conversations, whereas, as Jim says, in the U Shaped lounge you can join in on any topic that interests you and you have an opinion to post.

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
I only tried the chat room a couple of times, and I found it difficult to keep track of the conversations as sometimes there were two or three threads going on at the same time, plus I must be the slowest typist in the world.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Well I feel better about it now, as I too felt that I was intruding on those very rare occasions when there was someone in there, but I'm sure with little effort come the Autumn we could resurrect the Quiz.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back