Thetford toilet user guide and chemicals (1 Viewer)

Gollom

Free Member
Apr 6, 2014
Preston, Lancs
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534 (1994) - Hetty
Exp
Since 2014
Greetings

Not used this yet, but may do so in the near future. Two questions please:

Is there an easy to follow user guide I could download?
What are the best (and cheapest) chemicals to use? (I did a search, but last info I could find went back to 2011 - suggestions ranged from cheap sterilising fluid to Lidl bio washing liquid)

Many thanks

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Cheap laundry bio tablets (Aldi/ Lidl) 1-2 in toilet tank & use Happy Bowl liners for anything more than a wee! Thetford silicone spray or olive oil (not vaseline) on rubber seal every now & again to keep it working well. Parazone flushable wipes for quick daily cleaning(y) Easy peasy, smells better & a lot cheaper than "proper" toilet chemicals. This is best combination we have found after trying lots of options & taking the advice offered on here.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Another tip we picked up on here is when you empty it before leaving site for home just put 1 tablet & a bit of water in the tank then all the splishing & sploshing around when driving will clean it so thoroughly so when you empty it at home you don't have to have to use cassette tank cleaner either:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Put 'Happy Bowl Liners' into Google & all will be revealed.
(Make sure you are prepared for all to be revealed!!)

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Another thumbs up for happy bowl liners, the one thing I couldn't be without in the van...other than the Mr!

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Info on Happy Bowl: http://www.buyhappybowl.com/
Best price delivered that I found Broken Link Removed
Sounds a bit gimmicky but makes life easier & more pleasant!
Another plus with laundry tablets is no messing with measuring out chemicals - just drop a tablet down the loo into the empty cassette when first deposit made:( & that with water from flush is all that is needed.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Seriously? Happy Bowl liner ??? Seriously???o_Oo_Oo_O
Open flap, open bomb doors, drop bombs, flush, close flap.(y)
Boy these firms are great at getting you to part with your hard earned!
Oh - agree with the Bio washing liquid though - works well and a fraction of the price of blue, which is yet another rip off;)

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Seriously? Happy Bowl liner ??? Seriously???o_Oo_Oo_O
Open flap, open bomb doors, drop bombs, flush, close flap.(y)
Boy these firms are great at getting you to part with your hard earned!
Oh - agree with the Bio washing liquid though - works well and a fraction of the price of blue, which is yet another rip off;)

If only it was that easy, when we went on our first trip I did as you suggested and then spent a very unpleasant 15mins cleaning the bowl, flap etc. not to go into too much detail but I'd managed to get shit everywhere!
For a reluctant motorhomer it was not a good start..

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Quote from Happy bowl liner website,

"Turn on water and count to ten". No wonder some folks are always running out of water, and emptying the cassette every day:X3:

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
If only it was that easy, when we went on our first trip I did as you suggested and then spent a very unpleasant 15mins cleaning the bowl, flap etc. not to go into too much detail but I'd managed to get sh1t everywhere!
For a reluctant motorhomer it was not a good start..
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::):D:LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
had a look and does seem like a gimic but may try a pack and see how we get on

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Tis no gimmick, every time Mr mousy heads for the bathroom door you can hear me screaming "don't forget the happy bowl liners".

After 25 years of marriage we have never been more intimately involved with each other's toilet habits since buying the motorhome. Jury still out on if this is a good thing.

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Cheap laundry bio tablets (Aldi/ Lidl) 1-2 in toilet tank & use Happy Bowl liners for anything more than a wee! Thetford silicone spray or olive oil (not vaseline) on rubber seal every now & again to keep it working well. Parazone flushable wipes for quick daily cleaning(y) Easy peasy, smells better & a lot cheaper than "proper" toilet chemicals. This is best combination we have found after trying lots of options & taking the advice offered on here.

Are Parazone flushable wipes biodegradable? I wouldn't put anything down like this that might go into a septic tank. "Flushable" isn't the same as "sewage treatment friendly".

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Parazone wipes are not woven synthetic type (not like baby wipes) that block drains as they are more like moist thick tissue & tear easily. If in doubt can use them & bin them(y) then no worse than any other cloth that might be used to wipe the toilet clean.

Jun 1, 2010
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Micro campervan
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks, Mousey, for the Happy Bowl liner address. I have just ordered a packet and hope they will help make me a happier Moho toilet user!

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Can't see what's wrong with a bit of loo paper to clean the pan. Always have some to hand. ;)

My "Happy Bowl Liners" consist of 3 pieces of toilet paper triangulated over the open trap door hole (Flap open). That way not much mess and nothing on the flap...(y)(y) Cheap, cheerful, effective. ::bigsmile:
I am amazed at that products that are produced to make Motorhomers part with their hard earned.

How can you spend 15 minutes cleaning the toilet bowl, I can't even remember taking much more 15 seconds to clean a bowl (even after a Vindaloo) and I am a fussy so and so when it comes to hygiene and a clean loo.......

p.s. no expensive "motorhome" chemicals either, just cheap bio liquid or tablets in the cassette.....

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Judging from some people's posts they must have well trained ....... bowel movements shall we say. Do you use bomb aimer's sights?? Does nobody ever have a good curry or lots of garlic when they are motorhoming? Not everybody exudes rabbit pallets. Some of us are more like cows. Need any more detail???????

Put it this way I would never be without our happy bowl liners and they are worth every penny.

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
What's the best and cheapest?

The best is usually not the cheapest, and vice versa!

I use Tesco bio liquid. Seems to work.

Anyone know what "biological washing liquid" is in Spanish? We are running out!

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Anyone know what "biological washing liquid" is in Spanish? We are running out!
líquido de limpieza biológica

:p

Attachments

• upload_2014-7-24_12-0-45.png
    upload_2014-7-24_12-0-45.png
    349 bytes · Views: 5

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Can't see what's wrong with a bit of loo paper to clean the pan. Always have some to hand. ;)
We use a Parazone wipe to give the whole toilet a quick wipe over first then around the pan so everything kept as clean as possible - in our small space the toilet door is mostly open for elbow room & is opposite the kitchen so really important! Another suggestion found on here is a little bio laundry liquid with water in a spray to clean the bowl - we have this ready but not needed to resort to it yet. If using this method the seal would need rinsing & probably lubricating more often as have had a leaky seal before & it's not nice:whatthe: This is the best flat bottomed small spray bottle that we found
Not cheap but buying new toys for the motorhome is all part of the fun! Hope all this toilet talk is helpful to someone....

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I am with Dave on this one.. If we went to all the effort others seem to, after a couple of months away I would be going batchy !
Just do the deed and empty when needed
We do have a SOG fitted but still add a splash of blue as it takes away the smell when I empty it.. Of course it does nowt else as it is not in there long enough
I tried all the washing stuff..
While it sort of worked I never really liked using it

BTW Gollom,
If you unscrew the cap there are marks in it indicating how much 'blue' to add.. I always use the bottom ( least amount ) as an indicator

Sep 21, 2013
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since Apr 2013
Whats wrong with using a small brush, like a washing up brushes, to clean the pan. A miniature version of the one by most domestic toilets

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Whats wrong with using a small brush, like a washing up brushes, to clean the pan. A miniature version of the one by most domestic toilets
Not by ours - hate them! Sorry couldn't be positive about this but unless a brush is cleaned thoroughly afterwards (not a nice job) they aren't hygienic. Brush could possibly scratch plastic bowl too.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I've been motorhoming for years and never heard of using laundry bio tablets or bowl liners. I feel like such a noob :oops:

Just ordered the bowl liners :roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back