Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Most of us motorhomers are wincing at the petrol pump but I have been reading about literally hundreds of RV dealers going bust every week in the US. Have we stopped buying here too? Has this credit crunch fiasco stopped you buying or upgrading your motorhome? Are we about to lose a few motorhome dealerships?

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Chatting to a dealer this week - last year's model caravans being sold at a £2-3,000 loss - car auctions full of recently owned motorhomes where people bought on HP and couldn't keep up payments.

:Smile:
Keith

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

At the recent Shepton Mallet show there appeared to be a lot of MH's with sold on the windows and that was the same at a large Caravan dealers in somerset.

I did wonder in the current financial climate if some of those sold signs may of been there similar to what estate agents do (or so I have been told) to buck the market e.g. put sold signs in the windows to give people the feeling that they better jump soon or they may miss the current fall ?? I don't know if it works, but i can say seeing all those sold signs did make me think perhaps we have reached the bottom and its started to turn, I think that's wishful thinking but its something like that, that will bounce the market back, lets hope it comes soon as a lot of people could be out of a job if it doesn't

So come on all you people with money START SPENDING IT AGAIN to keep people in jobs.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
What with Avondale going bust and leaving debts owed to "the little man" many can not survive. Thank goodness caravan and motorhome owners are still repairing and servicing keeping some of us in a job.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Jim yes more dealers and perhaps manufactuers will bite the dust.Swift have been laying off at motorcruse,swinton near to me.Also found out they have sent one of the workforce aroud the country sealing leaky roofs on most models since swift took over!!!!Aparently they changed spec for roof lights and never told workers who cut out holes to fit old spec rooflights,then fitted new ones in holes too big :ROFLMAO: never thinking to make the holes smaller :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: or asking the bosses, just kept turning them out :ROFLMAO:(allegedly):Eeek:Yes it has stopped me upgrading or should I say converting a newer van? because my older one may proove more difficult to sell in these hard times.So as they say if it ai;nt broke don't fix it,I wanted to do another over the winter but that will not happen now,too risky hoping to sell in the spring ::bigsmile: IF anyone wants a van converting to there own spec give me a call :thumb::winky: Fuel price will not stop us using the van at 27 mpg it is cheaper to run than the car :ROFLMAO:so for the moment we will have to tighten our belts :ROFLMAO:I need to loose a few pounds anyway:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
terry

roadtraveller

Free Member
Aug 14, 2007
Kings Norton, Birmingham
Funster No
Exp
20 years plus
We had our replacement Autocruise built by Swift, and we are keeping our fingers crossed that nothing will go wrong, it is not the same quality as Autocruise was turning out. Without being too morbid I think we are only the tip of the iceberg, watch this space. :Sad: :cry: :Sad:

roadtraveller

Free Member
Aug 14, 2007
Kings Norton, Birmingham
Funster No
Exp
20 years plus
Leaky roof and wooden walls

My Camper only needs a good coat of creosote in this rainy weather. My leaky roof doesn't need a Swift person only a good gardner with a roll of roof felt. :ROFLMAO:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
We bought our mh in January from the states when we were getting almost $2.00 to the £. The market in the states was depressed at that time an so mh's were much cheaper there than in the UK.

The problems that the states were having then have now crossed the ocean and we are in the same boat as they were.

I'm lucky in that my mh is in good nick and only requires maintenance and a few extras that we want, most of which are done.

Apart from maintenance and one fairly big spend next year thats it, (I Hope).

If I where to be buying a mh/rv now it would be much smaller and a lot less expensive and so we wouldn't really enjoy it.

It may well be that we wouldn't buy anything until we knew how thing were going to pan out economically.

These things go in cycles, this is not the first time that we have had such an economic downturn and it wont be the last.

This of course is of no comfort to the people who are losing their jobs. I wish them all the best.

Better times are ahead

Cheers

Jim :Smile:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
At 26yrs old our van has seen it all come and go, fuel is a cost that cannot be ignored so a concentrated effort is being made this winter to produce a useable free alternative from old chip fat. Sniff out my frymobile next year, hee hee:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
At 26yrs old our van has seen it all come and go, fuel is a cost that cannot be ignored so a concentrated effort is being made this winter to produce a useable free alternative from old chip fat. Sniff out my frymobile next year, hee hee:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Wildman Fries.It has quite a ring to it.

You could start a sideline en-route to subsidise your travels.:thumb:

I'm also looking at alternative fuels.:RollEyes:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980

My missus wont let me have chips :cry: so I cant get the fat :Sad: Seriously, Ive heard of a few people as I'm sure you have that do recycle chip fat and vegetable oils to be used as fuel. The best of luck with it.

Cheers

Jim :Smile:

RuthRv

Free Member
Jan 4, 2008
Funster No
these are hard times, we have been through them before ended up with a house that wasnt worth a carrot in the last recession, me thinks it will get worse before it gets better, it has a knock on effect that many people are losing their jobs, to enable us to have a reasonable enjoyable life we are still working even though we should have retired, but who on earth can survive let alone live on a state pension:Eeek:and my boss says no pay rises this year:cry: we wll just have to hope that we all manage to ride out the storm:thumb:
ruthv

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
wont make a ha'perth of difference to me.:RollEyes:
cant afford to sell/trade mine anyway due to being roped into 10 year finance i never wanted and cant afford the lump sum to pay it off:Sad:(until she sells some property :winky:)

cant do anything about diesel cost so just moan a lot and pay whatever the price is at the time but it wont stop me using the m/h, its still cheaper than a hotel for a week/fortnight. :thumb:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Walked around Chelston motorhomes and Martin of Exeter and realised just what good value my bus is and apart form some paintwork that's always needed sorting and are quite happy to stay as I am.

In a year or so might go for a C class but not in the UK.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Well I want a new van, I can probably afford to change at the moment, but the cost of borrowings and the uncertainty of whats happening at present prevents me.

+ I need a special van to get us to sell ours as its now become one of the family.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980

Hi

Is the mh shown in your avatar really 26 years old?.

Cheers

Jim:Smile:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
....car auctions full of recently owned motorhomes where people bought on HP and couldn't keep up payments.
And who do you blame for that?

The "live now pay later" culture of a society hell bent on pretentious wealth, now has to face up to reality and stop living in a world of fantasy dreams. The gravy train has finally hit the buffers.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).

The "live now pay later" culture of a society hell bent on pretentious wealth, now has to face up to reality and stop living in a world of fantasy dreams. The gravy train has finally hit the buffers.

That's a "nail on the head" quote there. Very true.

We bought our MH with a 10 year plan in mind. So far we are only 3.5 years into it. Hopefully by the end of the plan time, (if we give up MH'ing), she'll still be worth a few quid and we will have ridden out the credit crunch.
We can't see us ever being in a position financially, to change it, but then again, we haven't seen another layout that we would want anyway. Neither of us likes debt of any description, so wouldn't ever consider HP, (unless @ 0% interest :winky:), especially in the current financial climate.

Jock & Rita.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9

Rightly or wrongly that culture is what dragged us up by the boot straps and kept millions in employment over the ast 20-25 years. Its a blip thats all. A world blip. Its not the first and certainly wont be the last. But life goes on. If people refuse to borrow and buy then there will be no way back, a competetive interest rate and sensible borrowing and all will be good again.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
wont make a ha'perth of difference to me.:RollEyes:
cant afford to sell/trade mine anyway due to being roped into 10 year finance i never wanted and cant afford the lump sum to pay it off:Sad:(until she sells some property :winky:)
[/I][/B]

Hi,

I remember this from way back, I think that the rules have changed, suggest you check with Trading Standards or Citizens Advice as it may now be construed as unfait contracts!

Peter

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
..a competetive interest rate and sensible borrowing and all will be good again.
Its a carrot and stick job for donkey's 'hag'. Most peoples idea of competetive interest rates would be 0% and unlimited borrowing...the ultimate utopian dream for the 'have it now pay later' lot. The only 'sensible borrowing' is not to borrow in the first place. As for borrowing to buy any vehicle, other than the odd 'classic' car, that has to be absolute financial lunacy.

The only 'borrowing' i've ever done in my life is a mortgage and the sooner thats rid of the better.
OK my house isn't filled with the latest 'must have' gadgets and gizzmo's, and i've never driven around in expensive cars.....but everything i have i own.
Mortgage apart, no Bank or Finance companies own what i have.......i do.

Last year a Bank actually gave me £100.....just to open an account with them.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
The only 'borrowing' i've ever done in my life is a mortgage and the sooner thats rid of the better.
OK my house isn't filled with the latest 'must have' gadgets and gizzmo's, and i've never driven around in expensive cars.....but everything i have i own.
Mortgage apart, no Bank or Finance companies own what i have.......i do.

Last year a Bank actually gave me £100.....just to open an account with them.

Hi Bulletguy,

Glad to see that they still haven't broken the mould yet. :winky:

That is us too, that you have described above. :ROFLMAO:

We have just under 3 years until the mortgage term is up, and then our problem will be, whether or not the endowments are enough to cover the outstanding amount, unless we pool in our resources and pay it off early. We're still not sure on that one.

Jock.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back