Any advice on going to Portugal in Dec!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
I am planning to tour down to Portugal then on to Spain on my own, poor Adel has to work! Aww! I will be starting of in December in a 32ft RV.

It would be great to travel with others doing the same thing.

I’m looking for any advice from the funsters who have done it before. I have driven in Europe lots of times before but this was in a HGV and not for pleasure so would like advice on the following:

Stop-over’s on the way to the port 32 ft RV

The best port to sail from

Best route down to Portugal

Best places to stay when in Portugal

Thank’s to Motor home fun and all the great people we have met so far for making this year a great memory so far!

Patrick

david price

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Bridgenorth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
5 years
portugal

Hi,patrick,we met at the fishing weekend.We did the barbie cooking.
I have a bessie 769 on a tag axle so only slightly smaller than your rig.We do dover/calais as other crossings work out very expensive.
We just follow tom tom down to algarve and avoid tolls.You should have no problems with parking etc.I may even travel down with you depending on work committments.Either way enjoy.
Dave.
Ps.camping albufuira and some good wild camping on the beach at quarteira.

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Patrick
if you get no joy on here, PM The F Man (Mark) he been and done it a few times, he's back to day or Saturday I believe and he will have a few sites to look at i'm sure
The route we took through Spain was quite close to Portugal at times
Geo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Patrick been down there a couple of times in the last 12 months, always via Dover-Calais, I did consider Porstmouth-Bilbao/Santander which if you add up all the fuel you will burn getting to there from Calais is no more expensive than driving, but the wifes not keen on boats.

Don't know if there is a "best" route, we went once through Rouen and once through Paris, the Rouen route is longer but Paris is more congested, then down to bordeaux either via Le-mans-Tours-Poitier or Orleans-Tours

We did go Orleans-Limoges and stopped of at Parc Verger an RV site owned by an English couple. About 400miles from Calais so doable in a day. There's also Twin Lakes near Bordeaux, another English owned site but at 500 miles from Calais that's to far for me, but probable a doddle to a youngster like you. :Smile:

The other time we stopped at a Motorway aire somewhere around Niort, both times we then stopped at St-Jean-de-Luz for the second night, there's a nice car park close to the Railway Station that you can park after about 18.00, but you need to be on your way by about 08.00

You will find very few sites open at this time of year on the West coast of France or Spain, Their is one at Burgos in Spain where we spent our third night, getting up early and driving directly to Camping Lisbon in Portugal, and then a few days later down to Quarteira, their are many sites open down there on the coast around Faro, most filled with snowbirds.

Olley

OP
OP
Patrick

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
Hi,patrick,we met at the fishing weekend.We did the barbie cooking.
I have a bessie 769 on a tag axle so only slightly smaller than your rig.We do dover/calais as other crossings work out very expensive.
We just follow tom tom down to algarve and avoid tolls.You should have no problems with parking etc.I may even travel down with you depending on work committments.Either way enjoy.
Dave.
Ps.camping albufuira and some good wild camping on the beach at quarteira.

Hi dave, thank's for that mate, hope you get the time to come down, might get enough for a meet in potugal then!

Would be nice to meet up mate!

patrick

OP
OP
Patrick

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
Hi Patrick been down there a couple of times in the last 12 months, always via Dover-Calais, I did consider Porstmouth-Bilbao/Santander which if you add up all the fuel you will burn getting to there from Calais is no more expensive than driving, but the wifes not keen on boats.

Don't know if there is a "best" route, we went once through Rouen and once through Paris, the Rouen route is longer but Paris is more congested, then down to bordeaux either via Le-mans-Tours-Poitier or Orleans-Tours

We did go Orleans-Limoges and stopped of at Parc Verger an RV site owned by an English couple. About 400miles from Calais so doable in a day. There's also Twin Lakes near Bordeaux, another English owned site but at 500 miles from Calais that's to far for me, but probable a doddle to a youngster like you. :Smile:

The other time we stopped at a Motorway aire somewhere around Niort, both times we then stopped at St-Jean-de-Luz for the second night, there's a nice car park close to the Railway Station that you can park after about 18.00, but you need to be on your way by about 08.00

You will find very few sites open at this time of year on the West coast of France or Spain, Their is one at Burgos in Spain where we spent our third night, getting up early and driving directly to Camping Lisbon in Portugal, and then a few days later down to Quarteira, their are many sites open down there on the coast around Faro, most filled with snowbirds.

Olley

Hi Olley, thank's for you input i have made notes and will look at the differance in the ferry prices!

patrick

OP
OP
Patrick

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
Patrick
if you get no joy on here, PM The F Man (Mark) he been and done it a few times, he's back to day or Saturday I believe and he will have a few sites to look at i'm sure
The route we took through Spain was quite close to Portugal at times
Geo

Cheers G, i will PM him tomorrow. Ive got my window stickers so as to fly the funsters flag, must get two pennants of jim at the birthday bash to put on my arial's.

patrick

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
Hi - we have family in the Bristol area, and usually travel south on the Portsmouth-St Malo ferry as we reckon it is the best crossing. Sailing is at 8.30pm UK time, with time for a meal, good night's sleep and breakfast before docking at 8.15am French time. We can give you a Britanny Ferries discount code if you PM us. :winky:

Whether you go down the west coast or come in our direction (Limousin) for a day or two's stopover, it is a much shorter drive than going Dover/Calais, so you'll need to calculate the fuel costs of one way compared with the other to reaally compare costs.:Doh:

Whatever route yoou take enjoy your drive through France - it is a beautiful country.:thumb:

Bob and Di

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
I am planning to tour down to Portugal then on to Spain on my own, poor Adel has to work! Aww! I will be starting of in December in a 32ft RV.

It would be great to travel with others doing the same thing.

I’m looking for any advice from the funsters who have done it before. I have driven in Europe lots of times before but this was in a HGV and not for pleasure so would like advice on the following:

Stop-over’s on the way to the port 32 ft RV

The best port to sail from

Best route down to Portugal

Best places to stay when in Portugal

Thank’s to Motor home fun and all the great people we have met so far for making this year a great memory so far!

Patrick

Hi Patrick

Done this trip for the past 5 winters, though finished up in different places, we like a change. ::bigsmile:

As you will have gathered we all have our own routes. We will be heading to Southern Spain at the beginning of December, crossing via Dover. We were hoping to 'tunnel' be not sure of the situation after the fire.

Did the trip in 06/07 in a 32' RV & Toad without toooooo much trouble but watch out for the village centres & narrow roads. :Eeek:

Places to stay in Protugal open in winter:
Camping Val Vaede, Luz in the SW near Lagos. RV OK
Puebla de Sanabria good place to stop on route near Portugese/ Spanish border RV OK
Camping Makadia near Odivelas, Beja. Next to a lake, great spot. RV OK

If you want more info let me know.

Keith

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
Wave if you see us - we'll be down there in something we could park in your bathroom :)
No idea about anything - we're just going to wing it.

FYI - ACSI campsite DVD is great - has a filter for open dates/times so you can be assured of finding an open site.

OP
OP
Patrick

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
Wave if you see us - we'll be down there in something we could park in your bathroom :)
No idea about anything - we're just going to wing it.

FYI - ACSI campsite DVD is great - has a filter for open dates/times so you can be assured of finding an open site.

I have just ordered that DVD and the english version of Aries sites. I can't wait to get away and see some blue skys!

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
I have just ordered that DVD and the english version of Aries sites. I can't wait to get away and see some blue skys!

You will Patrick, you will. :thumb::thumb:

I'll be keeping an eye out for you & activecampers. ::bigsmile:

E

EricOnTour2

Deleted User
The West Coast of Portugal is beautiful and perfect for Motorhomes. The Algarve is okay, but nothing in comparison.

There are plenty of places to park, usually right on the beach. With a van of your size you'll find great spaces in Melides, Santa Cruz, Sagres - directly on the beach too.

The places aren't official stop overs, but at almost every beach there are large enough car parks which don't have any restrictions for Motorhomes and do not charge a fee.

Enjoy.

billy&val

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
swansea
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
3 years
Hi Patrick

Interesting reading your post as we are thinking about doing the trip ourselves
about the same time.We have been to Portugal a few times and like it very
much but it will be our first time in a m/h as this is our first year. We have
had lots of valuble information from this site being firstimers and has
helped us a lot, so hopefully I should be able to pick a lot more from you
experienced funsters out there as all information will be very much
appreciated many thanks.
Billy & Val

OP
OP
Patrick

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
Hi Patrick

Interesting reading your post as we are thinking about doing the trip ourselves
about the same time.We have been to Portugal a few times and like it very
much but it will be our first time in a m/h as this is our first year. We have
had lots of valuble information from this site being firstimers and has
helped us a lot, so hopefully I should be able to pick a lot more from you
experienced funsters out there as all information will be very much
appreciated many thanks.
Billy & Val

Hi Bill & Val, I plan on stopping at twin lakes or at parc verga on the way down. Let me know when your planning to leave as it would be fun to meet up and travle down with otherers, we might have more be December!

patrick

smifee

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
chandler's ford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
hi patrick

i see you list 'the out-doors' as an interest.

from that i assume, maybe wrongly, that you would prefer to wildcamp.

last year i spent a couple of months in portugal. mostly wildcamping in the northwest of the algarve. it's great walking country and no one asked me to 'get off my land'.

i have the satnav co-ordinates for all the places i stayed if you want them.

the tunnel is my preferred crossing because i travel with a dog. the wife stays home to pay the bills::bigsmile:

i avoid the motorways except when they are free and around san sebastian.i just drive until i'm tired or there's a football match on tv. stop in a layby or service area for a few hours kip. i try to do the big towns, Rouen & Bordeaux,at night.

on entering portugal via Elvas i stop at an aire at Teraguem, about 5 miles further from Elvas. I can still receive BBC TV etc via satellite there. I went to one of the bars there one evening on the way back - 2 bottled beers & a coffee 2 euros 10 cents::bigsmile:

have a great trip

AlanVal

Free Member
Jan 3, 2008
S W Scotland.
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
Exp
We are heading down to Portugal leaving around the 17 thDec will be booking Tunnel went ferry last time its a drag...and we take the dog so tunnell better for us.
We stayed anight in France then just south of Vitoria-Gasteiz the shepperds inn Parborbo- Ameyego big statue of a shepherd boy and large area to park been there a couple of times no problem.First time we went on to Guarda then over to west coast (the windy west lol)but last time we went down Spain And into Portugal at Ayemonte and to wild camp nr Monte Gordo we stayed at a camsite at Caceres on the way down Spain they had a 10 euro per night offer on..thinking of heading down to nr Benidorm for xmas but not sure about Spain!! might just head right to Portugal so if anyone going down at that time we would like the company.We go to Twin Lakes on the way back lovely site and lovely people Sandra and Gary are excellent hosts...

Val

AlanVal

Free Member
Jan 3, 2008
S W Scotland.
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
Exp
We are heading down to Portugal leaving around the 17 thDec will be booking Tunnel went ferry last time its a drag...and we take the dog so tunnel better for us.
We stayed anight in France then just south of Vitoria-Gasteiz the shepperds inn Parborbo- Ameyego big statue of a shepherd boy and large area to park been there a couple of times no problem.First time we went on to Guarda then over to west coast (the windy west lol)but last time we went down Spain And into Portugal at Ayemonte and to wild camp nr Monte Gordo we stayed at a camsite at Caceres on the way down Spain they had a 10 euro per night offer on..thinking of heading down to nr Benidorm for xmas but not sure about Spain!! might just head right to Portugal so if anyone going down at that time we would like the company.We go to Twin Lakes on the way back lovely site and lovely people Sandra and Gary are excellent hosts...

Val

AlanVal

Free Member
Jan 3, 2008
S W Scotland.
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
Exp
We are heading down to Portugal leaving around the 17 thDec will be booking Tunnel went ferry last time its a drag...and we take the dog so tunnel better for us.

Val

billy&val

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
swansea
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
3 years
Hi Patrick
We are not sure of an exact date due to family commitments but we are
hopeing to go round about 30 november or running into the first week
of December. After reading a lot of post's I think are best route down
will be Cleremont Ferrand - Millau - Perpignan and then enter Spain on
the east coast as we want to visit her sister in Bennidorm for a couple
of days and then just keep heading south. We still need to get information
on were it's best to spend Xmas as we have no firm plans yet, we hope to
be away till about Feb then make a dash for home.I see your in Liverpool
I was born there and lived there till I was 19, then we moved over the border
only to Flint and then I came down to Swansea about 10 years ago, I'm starting
to rabbit on a bit now I think I better shut up.
Billy & Val

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back