Engine Coolant Drain Down for winterisation (1 Viewer)

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi Folks
I am now planning to winterise my mh as it will not be used again until next year. Unfortunately work demands that I cant get off to sunny climes for the winter.:cry:

I am in two minds as to whether or not to drain down my engine coolant. It is currently filled with 50% Coolant and 50% distilled water.

This is good for -36°C.

I dont believe that I will have a problem if I leave it alone until its service etc next March.

What do other folks do or think.

Cheers

Jim

:Smile:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Take it from the horses mouth as it were
Leave well alone, a drained system is open to corrosion :Eeek:
Geo

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
The only water you should be thinking of draining off completely is any fresh/dirty water tanks you have fitted......not a radiator! Thats why it has coolant in!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Take it from the horses mouth as it were
Leave well alone, a drained system is open to corrosion :Eeek:
Geo

I go along with that.:thumb:

Antifreeze has anticorrosive additives in it.

The system will corrode badly if drained and the water pump will seize.With a 50% mix of water to antifreeze you'll be well protected.

Steve.

Last edited:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Its also a good idea to turn the engine once a week and let it run up to normal temp.

Also, if your mh is standing outside don't stick one of those all over covers on it....they come with a built in body rot guarantee! Likewise, ensure the underbody sealant is in good nick and kept well aired. If you have a large enough garage then you won't need to worry too much about this.

'Winterised' motorhomes suffer more from lack of use than if they were used daily.

OP
OP
M

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Its also a good idea to turn the engine once a week and let it run up to normal temp.

Also, if your mh is standing outside don't stick one of those all over covers on it....they come with a built in body rot guarantee! Likewise, ensure the underbody sealant is in good nick and kept well aired. If you have a large enough garage then you won't need to worry too much about this.

'Winterised' motorhomes suffer more from lack of use than if they were used daily.

Hi

Its to big for a garage, we thought about storage but I like to be able to keep a constant eye on it, plus do a bit of fiddling about.

We were thinking about a cover in fact I have been looking on the web for one.

Thats another decision made

Cheers

Jim

:thumb:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Hi

Its to big for a garage, we thought about storage but I like to be able to keep a constant eye on it, plus do a bit of fiddling about.

Thats another decision made

Cheers

Jim

Hi Jim
Covering up plastic is fine......covering metal is quite another thing altogether. Any metal panels dont get chance to air so damp is constant and it isn't long before a scratch turn to rust and the rust quickly develops into rot.

The underside of any vehicle left to stand through the winter months also needs care and attention. Can't beat a good oil spray but as H&S have outlawed that now it's difficult to find any garage prepared to do it (there are still a few around!).

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi

Jim

i bought a full cover last winter...what a waste of time and money.

took me and my bro a good half hour to fit.:Angry:

any vaguely sharp edges work their way through.....this included the corners of the aircon unit which you could headbut all day and only get headache...wing-mirrors the same.....even the mid height tie-down straps started to wear through where they rubbed the cover lower down.

wont bother this year.
maybe see if it fits over the caravan to keep the tree sap and bird sh*t off til it gets sold.:Blush:

Last edited:

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Fiamma make covers which protect the roof from the green/black grunge that seems to develop so easily over the winter. They only cover the roof and a little over the sides, and are made from a breathable fabric, so should not be a problem. They are a one-size-fits-all variety, suitable for most vans.

Towsure do full body covers, as do Protech (made to order for each van)and these are also of loose, breathable fabric, but as with all car covers, should be regularly taken off and not left in situ for many months at a time.

Each of these has their merits, but need to be carefully used and not just left on the van for long periods without removing them for a while.

warwick

Free Member
Sep 16, 2008
Funster No
Winterisation

Its far better to take van out fairly frequently than leave it stood, so that all lubricants get "splashed" around, suspension etc benefits. If your van has air con that needs running on a regular basis, some manufacturers recommend fortnightly others monthly.
I tried a breathable cover on a caravan once but found the dampness within the van was sustantially higher, mould spots appeared here and there, and that despite frequent opening of van door to air.

OP
OP
M

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Its far better to take van out fairly frequently than leave it stood, so that all lubricants get "splashed" around, suspension etc benefits. If your van has air con that needs running on a regular basis, some manufacturers recommend fortnightly others monthly.
I tried a breathable cover on a caravan once but found the dampness within the van was sustantially higher, mould spots appeared here and there, and that despite frequent opening of van door to air.

Hi

Its all a question of balance.

I would love to keep my rv on the road throughout the winter however it would only be occasional weekends due to the weather and I cant justify the expense in tax etc for a weekend or so.

I reckon that as long as I keep a good eye on it, run the engine on a regular basis, wash it, wax it, inspect it, I will be OK.

Cheers

Jim

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back