200 Euro Spanish Fine (1 Viewer)

backstreetbarry

Free Member
Jul 30, 2008
Funster No
Have recently heard from a friend who lives in Spain (Fortuna)who has passed on the following information. The Spanish police are cracking down on foreign plated vehicles, particularly the English. If they stop you, you are expected to produce your Registration document, insurance and MOT. Not only that, you are also expected to carry with you the RECEIPTS to show that you have paid for them and this also includes your TAX. It is a 200 Euro on the spot fine if you cannot produce all this paperwork. Does anyone else know about this ?

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi

There has been a lot of bad press lately about Spain and in particular Santander. I suppose that there must be some truth in there somewhere particularley with Santander because I have seen the photo's of people being clamped and towed away.

There is a post on the forum at the minute by a Spanish gent soliciting the help of the brits to petition the Spanish authorities.

We were in Sapin a couple of weeks ago and only ever saw one police car in the two weeks that we were there.

Everybody we met was friendly and helpul, the service areas all had areas set aside for m/h's with facilities to picnic etc, these areas also had security.

The area that we finally stopped in had places that were suitable for wild camping and a friend of mine who lives there said that it was common to see mh's parked up for a week or so.

I guess that there are always two sides to the story. It would be an idea if the C&CC were to make formal representations on our behalf so that we knew what we could and coudnt do.

Jim :whatthe:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
They are probably targeting British registered cars driven by ex pats who drive year on year without tax or MOT... not tourists

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I'll Be OK

I'll be ok then as im Scottish didnt realise the police could tell the difference and stop only English :roflmto:

Gerry

hogan

Free Member
Aug 4, 2007
Valencia,Spain
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
They are probably targeting British registered cars driven by ex pats who drive year on year without tax or MOT... not tourists

Spot on Jim
We have thousands of ex pats living here and still driving their UK reg cars that they arrived with.Almost all of them are not taxed or MOT,d in the country of origin therefore not insured.The Spanish police (traffico) are clamping down on this.
Re proof of payment.all Spanish reg cars must carry all docs and I advise visitors to do the same but the Spanish insurance documents are not worth anything unless proof of payment is attached to the policy Uk visitors do not need to provide proof of payment.
BUT knowing what i know i would advise all uk visitors to carry proof of payment for insurance , just to save the hassle!
The chances of visitors in motorhomes being stopped are almost zero unless there is 2 or more male only onboard,but this is another story not worth going into.I spend most nights wild camping here with no problems,stay away from the coast July and August.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
The Spanish police are cracking down on foreign plated vehicles, particularly the English. If they stop you, you are expected to produce your Registration document, insurance and MOT. Not only that, you are also expected to carry with you the RECEIPTS to show that you have paid for them and this also includes your TAX. It is a 200 Euro on the spot fine if you cannot produce all this paperwork. Does anyone else know about this ?
It's a legal requirement to carry your V5 document with you in europe as also (i think), insurance docs. Not only does the V5 provide useful information to any Garage should you break down during a trip, it's also the only document HMRC will want should they decide to give you a hard time when coming back through Dover Port.

As for the business of receipts, thats a new one to me. Your Tax disc is technically a 'receipt' and if you buy it online as i do you won't get an individual receipt. Your MOT is similar to the Tax.....the document is the receipt.

Insurance companies sometimes provide a receipt, but then if you are paying via direct debit as many now do, the only 'receipt' is your bank statement!

I think your friend has got things a bit mixed up.

Basically when travelling in europe, take your V5 and Insurance with you.....and your tax should be displayed in the windscreen anyway. Thats all the 'paperwork' necessary and if the Police still insist on 'receipts'......give them the phone numbers for the DVLA, your Insurance company.....and the British Embassy. That should sort 'em!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B

backstreetbarry

Free Member
Jul 30, 2008
Funster No
More news on the Spanish Fine

Have had further communication with my friend in Spain and he would like to know how the Police can distinguish between who is living in Spain and who is touring, as it was suggested that the 200 Euro fine was really aimed at ex-pats who didn,t have the required paperwork. He has first hand knowledge from an ex-policeman who was touring and he didn't have his current MOT with him in his vehicle. He was asked to produce it within 24hours, didn't wait that long, he went back within two hours and was still fined 200 Euros for not producing on demand. It would seem that those of us who do not have the required documents and receipts have only ourselves to blame. i have passed on this information in good faith, and for the record, my friend does not get confused in such matters!!! Happy travels:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back