filling with water (1 Viewer)

Gareth&Lizzy

Free Member
Jul 6, 2014
Funster No
MH
Herald Squire, coachbuilt
Exp
Dipped our toes plenty of times, now taken the plunge!
Very basic skill, I know, but one which I am yet to acquire.

When I fill the tank through my hose, is there an easy way to tell when it's full? Other than having the wife peer in to it?

More importantly, is there any harm in overfilling it? It spat back out yesterday as I wasn't aware of the inspection hole so I drained it from the nozzle, but is that necessary?

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I would assume you have a level gauge somewhere that you can watch while filling. There should be an overflow on the tank it of you fill it quicker than it can escape then it will go somewhere else.

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
It does all really depend on the van..
On my 2012 Apache 700 it seems to have a good overflow system and I leave hosepipe on until it flow out under the van.
However, previously I had the same van as a 2005, it had overflow BUT on the odd occasion if the water shot back up the fill pipe it went out what looked like an air breath hole on the rear of the filler.. This was mounted from the locker so if it did spill over the water ended up going inside the locker...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
As per Tonka, I rely on the overflow under the van.

Upvote 0

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We never have ours full, we just fill it half way and replenish if necessary. Saves on fuel unless you are filling up at site. We only use our MH a few days at a time so maybe this would change if using it longer.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Just let it overflow out of the filler.....the hose will fill faster then the overflow pipe will let it out and, apart for the installed overflow pipe, its a sealed unit so cant do any harm.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I would assume you have a level gauge somewhere that you can watch while filling. There should be an overflow on the tank it of you fill it quicker than it can escape then it will go somewhere else.
Well, i must run around with a full tank most of the time.....even when i know its empty....ie:winter drain down.

Not reliable in any way shape or form and not worth the effort to sort out.

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Very basic skill, I know, but one which I am yet to acquire.

When I fill the tank through my hose, is there an easy way to tell when it's full? Other than having the wife peer in to it?

More importantly, is there any harm in overfilling it? It spat back out yesterday as I wasn't aware of the inspection hole so I drained it from the nozzle, but is that necessary?

I just run the hose until water starts pouring back out the filler. I've not noticed any sort of overflow on mine.

Upvote 0

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
New MH which we get on Friday has a whale ??? filler ??? As I use a funnel and water carrier not sure how I'm going to fill the tank as don't want to buy an auqway roll any ideas

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
New MH which we get on Friday has a whale ??? filler ??? As I use a funnel and water carrier not sure how I'm going to fill the tank as don't want to buy an auqway roll any ideas
Buy a water carrier with a big enough hole to drop the whale pump through.

A watering can or bucket would do but may mean a few trips to a tap.

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012

Fit a proper water inlet that you can attach via a hose, assuming it actually has an onboard tank.

Upvote 0

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I was wondering how much fuel half a tank as opposed to a full one saves, is it worth doing?
No idea to be honest. I guess the further you travel the more you would save on a half tank.

Upvote 0

1Oll

Free Member
Jan 12, 2010
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class (German B Class!)
Exp
6+ years
I originally noticed when filling the water tank that when the tank was near to full the tone of the running water changed. Less echoey.
Not sure of it's the same with our Hymer yet.
B.

Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Always leave home with a full tank. We're talking 140 litres approx, therefore 140kg, so half full is 70 litres, hence 70kg approx. I fill up with more wine and booze and food than that.

It's also about the approx weight of an average mans legs (with trousers and shoes on and pockets full of change :) ). .....not worth the bother, so I fill up and then I don't care where I end up and at what time, whether there's water there or not (esp if wild camping) :)

I'll have plenty of water to use and not need to worry for a few days so one less thing to think about to begin with, thus spending more brain power on working out exactly how many bacon butties I should make and at exactly what time it's ok to have a doze on the sofa after breakfast :)

As to filling up, I wait until it comes out of the overflow and then I know it's full. Always get a little blowback when I remove the hose, but that's simple maths, it's going in faster than it can come out again :)

Happy motorhoming :)

Upvote 0

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Upvote 0

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Slightly off topic but I can recommend one of these:

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/heosafe-water-connection.html

It is put onto the inlet - where the cap has been removed. Then connect your hose to it - saves trying to stand holding the hosepipe and man the tap at the same time. Simple, useful and effective.

Wyn
....and subject to discount for funsters! (y)

Wyn

Upvote 0

roamingman

Banned
Mar 14, 2014
Angus
Funster No
MH
Coach build
Exp
2012, tents, caravan. 1990
Think I would keep the £20 pound, and hold the hose, does not take to long to fill up.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back