mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Some papers have picked up on the couple touring in France being gassed overnight so the robbers/ burglars could ransack their Motorhome whilst they slept under the influence of the Gas...The question here is, would an alarm device such as the renown 'Strikeback' system deter Gasser's??:cautious:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
As explained in the other threads currently running, A gas alarm that detects propane etc will be the safest thing to fit. anaesthetic gasses are not pumped into motorhomes to render the occupants unconscious, it is a myth

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I really can't see how anaesthetic gas would ever work in a motorhome. Big space, gas entering via whatever wouldn't have a sealed funnel to go through.
Has no one claiming to have been gassed ever noticed someone outside their vehicle, the noise of a hose being connected, etc... And just how much gas would these criminals have to carry with them? They then enter a gas filled vehicle wearing what? I don't think a flimsy surgical mask would stop them then breathing in the has. They'd need a full respiratory set. No one would ever notice that would they?
Has any victim of gassing ever been tested after the event? Most anaesthetic after surgery is excreted through the kidneys so logically a urine test the following day would show traces of anaesthetic.
I'm not sure how the Russians managed to kill so many people a few years ago. They were being held hostage in a cinema or a theatre. But then God knows what chemicals they have in their arsenal.

I'd go with you r regular gas leak alarm, a CO2 detector and a smoke alarm. You've got the full set then.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
mentaliss

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
As explained in the other threads currently running, A gas alarm that detects propane etc will be the safest thing to fit. anaesthetic gasses are not pumped into motorhomes to render the occupants unconscious, it is a myth
So the news papers are telling porkys then:confused::)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
A good way to avoid being gassed would be to have all the windows wide open.

To avoid damage to the motorhome as they climb through the windows, I suggest leaving your wallets, handbags, passports, electronic devices etc in full view and within an arm's reach of one of those windows.

JJ :cool:

HA....Even a Hi-Ab couldn't lift your wallet out of the widows in St Paul's!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Where we doubt security I set alarm with internal sensors disarmed. In the unlikely event of not being disturbed by a door being trashed the alarm would kick up a din :confused:

However the only orifice to put gas in is where the fridge vents but would a pilot light and gas work well together ? mmmmm I doubt it :rolleyes:
Probably the "victims" telling porkies to reinforce their inflated insurance claim!

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Whats the % of how many folk that claim to be 100% sober but still get gassed? Very low I guess.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I wish I'd get gassed just so I could do a genuine report. Lying barstewards increase insurance premiums for all of us.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
I don't belive it.some people will try anything to con the insurance companys.

OP
OP
mentaliss

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
My Question of the thread is not about weather Gassing took place or not !!!
its about if there is a security alarm system out there that would detect outside movement and contact with the motorhome by 'undesirables' using, ie; gas hose ! crow bar, what ever....many years ago I had an alarm system fitted to my BMW that I could set parameters that would detect the vehicle being interfered with and one parameter was a voice audio warning...
'warning warning your presence is being detected' ...... and so on!! Im sure something like that would today put off any would be undesirable:unsure::)

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
The long and short answer: Try testing your OWN alarm with different aerosols and you will be very surprised how very sensitive they are to gas if any form and you WILL understand how your system works.
So many owners have a "top of the range" alarm and HAVE NEVER EVER tested it......... thinking I will know what it sounds like when it goes off or I know what it detects because I was told it would!!

THEY FAILED to set their alarm before going to bed ( may have even forget to lock their doors ) but if they HAD SET their alarm they would have locked the doors. Even if we are in a secure campsite we STILL set the alarm........ WHY ? (a) if it goes off someone will look/may out their window (b) flashing led on all the windows will deter 99% (c) habit..... ( use what you have paid a lot of money for the ALARM)

There are alarms out there that will detect movement and use an audible warning, but why would you pay all that money for a "voice" when visible LED's all far better.........

POOR PERSONAL ROUTINE WILL RESULT IN FAILURE.................

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I looked at an alarm 4 years ago when we got Busty, it consisted of two small circular units that fixed high up on either side of the van and emitted an “ultrasonic curtain” down both sides of the van, I think it activated led’s then an alarm. Thought it was a good idea till the first time I stopped on an Aire, you couldn’t get a fag paper between the vans, it would have gone off constantly :(

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Has any victim of gassing ever been tested after the event? Most anaesthetic after surgery is excreted through the kidneys so logically a urine test the following day would show traces of anaesthetic.

Not quite right. Intravenous anaesthetics may be excreted by the kidneys and metabolised by the liver, inhalational anaesthetics (gases generally) leave the way they came, namely through the lungs.

I'm not sure how the Russians managed to kill so many people a few years ago. They were being held hostage in a cinema or a theatre. But then God knows what chemicals they have in their arsenal.

That's because they used a potent synthetic opiate (related to opium/heroin) called fentanyl which was dispersed as a vapour. So many people died because the Russians wouldn't tell rescuers what they had used. If they had done so, the effects of he narcotic could easily have been quickly reversed if it had been given in time.

I'd go with you r regular gas leak alarm, a CO2 detector and a smoke alarm. You've got the full set then.

That reminds me, I'm not sure that our new (to us) van has any of those! Must get that sorted.

Tim

OP
OP
mentaliss

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
To the posters who no more than people that have been subject to beening Gassed perhaps YOU may care to read and reply your thoughts to 'LETTERS'in the Mail today, author, Sandy LYON, Ellon, Aberdeenshire.

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
On hindsight, when Mrs emmenay and I were burgled on a campsite with us both sound asleep and sobar, I could have saved my embarrassment and claimed we were the victims of gassing, instead we put our tails between our legs and admitted to not setting the alarm.......Gassing I believe, is purely mythical. As I said long ago, find out which gas is being used and I will be the subject of a controlled experiment!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
To answer the OP.
I don't think there is any alarm system available anywhere that can detect "gassing." The reason for this is that nobody can identify or even guess at the type of gas that could be used. The reason that nobody can identify or even guess at the type of gas that could be used is that is does not happen. Not sometimes, not once, not ever.

The Daily Fail and the red top comics can print whatever made up nonsense they like. It doesn't happen.

Even if someone can identify a substance that would cause the effect in quantities small enough to be portable do you seriously believe that nobody has ever noticed that someone has spent half a day under their van sealing up all the gaps and holes.

durhamahoy

Free Member
Jun 11, 2012
Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
Having recently tried to sleep through 2 doggies snoring and SWMBO adding a backing chorus, closely followed by several bloody wood pigeon thingies, I would like to know a bit more about this gassing substance. Purely with the aim of administering it at about 10pm each night, not through any air vents but full on. If it comes in an aerosol can I will pretend to be spraying fly spray (well thought out strategy).
Further info very much appreciated

Sleepy Steve

andeb

Free Member
Dec 9, 2012
On the road
Funster No
MH
Euramobil 665HS
Exp
Since 2008
Papers want you to believe what they print as they say believe 100 percent of what you see 50 percent of what hear and about 5 percent of what you read in newspapers

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Having recently tried to sleep through 2 doggies snoring and SWMBO adding a backing chorus, closely followed by several bloody wood pigeon thingies, I would like to know a bit more about this gassing substance. Purely with the aim of administering it at about 10pm each night, not through any air vents but full on. If it comes in an aerosol can I will pretend to be spraying fly spray (well thought out strategy).
Further info very much appreciated

Sleepy Steve
My anaesthetic comes in a glass!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Good story for the newspaper of the eurosceptics johnny foreigner strikes again!!!. Does anyone believe there is a crime specific to France only carried out against brits:(

David

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Fentanyl is an opiate, like morphine and is used for extreme pain relief and usually given as a nasal spray, patch or lozenge. The side effects are extreme constipation, difficulty in breathing, difficulty in urinating etc.. I think if this was the offending "gas" then those symptoms would be very obvious..

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Fentanyl is an opiate, like morphine and is used for extreme pain relief and usually given as a nasal spray, patch or lozenge. The side effects are extreme constipation, difficulty in breathing, difficulty in urinating etc.. I think if this was the offending "gas" then those symptoms would be very obvious..

More likely you'd be dead before you developed any of those symptoms if it was sprayed into your van.

Tim

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Carbon monoxide will put you to sleep and give you a nasty headache, assuming you survive, keep the gas appliances serviced!

OP
OP
mentaliss

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Life's too short to put every Daily Mail reader right.:LOL:

Tim
Actually Tim it was shown to me!
To answer the OP.
I don't think there is any alarm system available anywhere that can detect "gassing." The reason for this is that nobody can identify or even guess at the type of gas that could be used. The reason that nobody can identify or even guess at the type of gas that could be used is that is does not happen. Not sometimes, not once, not ever.

The Daily Fail and the red top comics can print whatever made up nonsense they like. It doesn't happen.

Even if someone can identify a substance that would cause the effect in quantities small enough to be portable do you seriously believe that nobody has ever noticed that someone has spent half a day under their van sealing up all the gaps and holes.

I find it quite extraordinary the attitude of people with your obvious left wing
To answer the OP.

AGAIN:
My Question of the thread is not about weather Gassing took place or not !!!
its about if there is a security alarm system out there that would detect outside movement and contact with the motorhome by 'undesirables' using, ie; gas hose ! crow bar, what ever..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back