LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I can confirm that the 3 network is working well in France. I purchased a 3 PAYG sim for my wifi dongle and it works great in France with no roaming charges. My 3 phone can be used to call and receive from the UK using my home allowance. This started on 1st July. I believe fro October all Europe will be covered so goodbye roaming charges.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I can confirm that the 3 network is working well in France. I purchased a 3 PAYG sim for my wifi dongle and it works great in France with no roaming charges. My 3 phone can be used to call and receive from the UK using my home allowance. This started on 1st July. I believe fro October all Europe will be covered so goodbye roaming charges.
Same applies in the US which will be handy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
And also on the phone if you have all you can eat data. Will help enormously and the old "what internet connection in Europe threads" will be consigned to the re-cycle bin of A-frame, grey waste and gassing threads.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Can't use it in Portugal or Spain and that's the eu.:crying:

Just re-read your post, I hope so as we'll be in Spain from October.
Then Portugal for the winter.:Smile:

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Bumped as many have missed this thread. Yes it does work and its proven.

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Dave I think you can only use if to a maximum of 2 months in anyone year.
Not sure it was going to cover all of europe from October, maybe Addie can come along and give us the low down.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Dave I think you can only use if to a maximum of 2 months in anyone year.
Not sure it was going to cover all of europe from October, maybe Addie can come along and give us the low down.
How would 3 know if you just kept buying £10 wifi sims. They are only activated when first used.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We have converted both our O2 unlocked phones to three on the strength of this French tariff, hope it's ok trying it out tomorrow(y).
It's almost unbelievable 3p as against 35p a min on O2 never mind free internet data

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
We have converted both our O2 unlocked phones to three on the strength of this French tariff, hope it's ok trying it out tomorrow(y).
It's almost unbelievable 3p as against 35p a min on O2 never mind free internet data
Not only that, but if friends and relatives are on 3 in the UK, calls to and from France are FREE.

Deleted User
How would 3 know if you just kept buying £10 wifi sims. They are only activated when first used.
As far as I am aware they have to be activated in the UK and used for a month before the free roaming comes into effect.
I bought one this morning for £7.99 with 1 Gb at Curry's, I think they are available even cheaper online. I called in the three shop and the assistant said that the free roaming is activated as long as the sim has been used once in the UK but that is not what it says on the website, time will tell I suppose.
Maybe possible to buy a few sims use them once in the UK and then internet in Europe all winter.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
As far as I am aware they have to be activated in the UK and used for a month before the free roaming comes into effect.
I bought one this morning for £7.99 with 1 Gb at Curry's, I think they are available even cheaper online. I called in the three shop and the assistant said that the free roaming is activated as long as the sim has been used once in the UK but that is not what it says on the website, time will tell I suppose.
Maybe possible to buy a few sims use them once in the UK and then internet in Europe all winter.

I bought mine from the 3 shop for £10. I did activate it before leaving the UK, just to check that it worked. I have been using it now for a month and its due to be topped up shortly. I can do this online even when the credit has run out. If and when I top it up I will know what the situation is regarding one month only use.

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
i agree not had a bad signal yet we are using all you can eat data and minutes currently in Bergerac until tueday then off to souillac for a few days before heading home. Cannot believe how quite the campsite is and its in the town.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
As JJ says above can confirm 3 working fine and three to three is free back to uk or any country in the plan left a spare 3 phone at home with daughter have been ringing daily also using viber and whatsapp to send photos and mail part of data plan works for me :cool:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We are off to France next week, we both have 3 network phones so will be looking forward to not wandering around aimlessly looking for a Fon signal. According to 3, you are limited to 3 months usage, but not sure if that's per year or per session. I'll check with 3 before we go
Allan

Pepperdog

Free Member
Jan 25, 2014
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
15 years
it also said on the net you needed to have an add-on to get the new rate in france, did this but have other tried. using 3 in Normandy. always get good cover here.
have you tried labara in spain, 10euro sim with 7.50 calls only 1 cent per min to uk!!!!!!!!!!!!

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
we just have the mifi on 3 , so will be interesting to see how that works....:(

Using the mifi now with 3 sim works fine ,and full signal back here at Saint Laurent sur Gorre .
two text messages from 3 (admin: Broken Link Removed) the usual welcome to France message and enjoy same rate as in the UK . works for me (y)

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Did an online topup this morning and all is well. Cannot believe how good this is, free 3 to 3 calls to the UK and good wifi for a tenner a month in France. Lets hope they keep there word and extend it throughout Europe in October read for the winter sun.

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
At Le Crotoy (quite full and compAct in places lol) took a chance and came here straight from Dover very busy in town with a lot on
3G works fine here.
We had welcome and you are using same as at home
3 one plan all you can eat data
Just as a pointer you need to turn on Data Roaming for it to work.

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Data roaming set to international but no Internet on phone, with 3 do I need to set it to all networks even though it says it may incur additional costs ?
Mifi with 3 sims working well but takes time to get it on mostly due to me fiddling with it I think ?

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
im glad to find mine is working great :) were in a little village called gruipy in brittany with great signal

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
great signal on mifi here in St Omer too, is it right only use 3 phone just to ring n text uk from here only not calls to france when in france ?

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
great signal on mifi here in St Omer too, is it right only use 3 phone just to ring n text uk from here only not calls to france when in france ?

Use 3 to 3 from France or to France and stil free if you have all you can eat data or a data bundle that also is same as when on home network have been sending photos etc using WhatsApp and viber great

MotorhomersRus

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2010
Barnoldswick
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line
Exp
Can I ask a question about this please
Am I right in thinking if you have a unlocked mifi
And use a three wifi card in it like I do here
3G bite or 3 months
This will now work in France !
Sorry if I'm being a bit thick here
I know our phones will work
But hadn't considered our mifi might work
Thanks

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Your mifi or wifi sim will work exactly the same as your phone.

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Data roaming set to international but no Internet on phone, with 3 do I need to set it to all networks even though it says it may incur additional costs ?
Mifi with 3 sims working well but takes time to get it on mostly due to me fiddling with it I think ?
Although I had roaming set on the phone I had to get 3 to switch on international data roaming on my account. It took just one call to customer service (free from mobile phone) and it was switched on in 5 mins.
Maybe yours is the same.

balloonman

Free Member
Jun 5, 2011
monmouthshire+France
Funster No
MH
damon rv
Exp
Hi I am trying my 3 wifi dongle in France but cannot connect all I keep getting is admin and asking for password. Can anyone help please? Works ok in the UK.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
we just have the mifi on 3 , so will be interesting to see how that works....:(
Mine worked well in September - depends where you are though. We went to some very mountainous areas and didn't always get a signal, but on the whole, very pleased with it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back