LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
What are the qualifications required to be a Motorhome engineer etc.

I remember Jim was going to contact someone to find out...

I for one am confused, "The Approved Workshop Scheme is a joint enterprise between the National Caravan Council, The Caravan Club and The Camping and Caravan Club. It is the benchmark for motorhome and touring caravan servicing."

What training have they gone through, it all sound good, but in reality what is it?

I know Tofo was a fully trained Gas engineer, you dont get that from spending an afternoon in a classroom. PapaJohn is a fully trained electrical engineer, again, that's not something you get from a 1/2 day course in Hull.
Chris is a fully qualified solicitor, you do get that from spending large amount of time and money in pubs..:rolleyes:

Seriously, we the punters are placing our lives in the hands of someone who may not really be qualified to change a bulb, but as always we trust them. I for one would like to know how well trained and qualified they are or are the 'qualifications' just pieces of usless junk they have bee given by some manufacturer for attending a course.

I wish i knew the answer, the moral is, anyone can and has set themselves up as a Motorhome Engineer, they may be very good and well meaning amateurs, they may we fully trained and professional, or they may well be a disaster waiting to happen, either destroy your van or worse still KILL YOU...

I suspect its time to change..

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Just checked...
The CITO 2 day electrical maintenance, test and inspection

The service technician will cover all relevant aspects of electrical safety, test and inspection; including the following:

• electrical safety legislation and regulations;
  • protection from electric shock, fire and burns, and the maintenance of safe systems of work;
  • determine circuit protection and understand what to earth and what to bond;
  • inspecting and testing the electrical system of a touring caravan or motorhome;
  • the use of electrical testing equipment; and
  • completing appropriate documentation.
The course is a combination of classroom based learning and practical work assessment. By the end of the 2 day course, the service technician will be able to demonstrate that he/she can work safely and competently with electrical equipment and systems as appropriate to their work. The course will provide persons with the necessary skills to inspect and test electrical systems, and to issue a condition report. Upon successful completion of the course the service technician will receive a City & Guilds certificate in the Electrical Maintenance of Touring Caravans and Motorhomes.

The course is suitable for both first time learners and technicians familiar with electrical work. Technicians with previous electrical qualifications should still consider taking this course as the programme is specific to touring caravans and motorhomes, and should be seen as complementary to other previous electrical qualifications. This qualification is a lifetime award and allows the technician to demonstrate that he/she has the necessary skills to work with electrical equipment. However, legislation governing electrical work is continually evolving; it is, therefore, recommended that the technician update his/her qualification on a regular basis (at least every 5 years) in order to keep up to date and to demonstrate awareness and understanding of the regulations as they develop.

There is progression from this programme to our 2 day LV/ELV Systems and Equipment course. Further information is available on our website or alternatively please do not hesitate to call us.

Approved Code of Practices (ACoPs) for gas competency

What does the course cover?
The service technician will cover all relevant aspects of gas safety, legislation, testing and procedures for their routine work, including the following areas:

• Gas safety legislation and regulations
  • Characteristics of LPG and combustion
  • Flueing and ventilation requirements
  • Supply and operating pressures
  • Pipe work installation and sizing
  • Inspection, checking and testing of appliances and the soundness of the gas system
  • Gas emergency actions and procedures
This course should be seen as the minimum standard for anyone working on gas appliances within the caravan industry where Gas Safe registration is not required. This ACoPs qualification is required for membership of the Approved Workshop Scheme.

Upon successfully completing the training and assessment, the learner will receive a certificate and ID card. The certification lasts for 5 years, after which time the technician must renew their qualification. A technician is not covered by an expired certificate.

Now that's what you can learn in about 8 days, all of it...

Tofo 30 years plus training....
PapaJohn, I bet he is still learning and has been fully trained..
Chris, still on the Chicken Vindaloo and Cobra Beer, training ongoing....

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Engineer shifty is a very loose term, everyone who can operate a spanner or wire a house is classified as an engineer. NVQ is the most over rated qualification possible. An engineer is a status that should only be held by a professional institute member of good degree standard.
Someone who services a caravan in my mind is not an engineer. This is the reason that engineers in this country have such low standing in the listings. Proper engineers should be on par with doctors solicitors and the like, not a caravan service person or a part P sparky.

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
"Proper engineers should be on par with doctors solicitors and the like"

A bit harsh there Herr Buttons.

By the way..."Guten Morgen", any more European genes Non English that we should be aware of ? (Welsh Nation takes a deep breath)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Is it any different to any car repair garage? You hope they have trained people, our garage has various certificates hanging on the walls, which is reassuring but you also get one-man outfits where I suspect the guy is more or less self-taught.

This approved workshop scheme sounds like a step in the right direction. The inference is that before it you had no way of telling if a company had any sort of demonstrated expertise.

The downside of making it a requirement for more stringent qualifications is the cost to the customer will go up.

However, I would try and go on personal recommendations if trying to find a motorhome engineer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I did my apprenticeship and got qualifications from that = higher nationals or something --never had to show them for any job :) so not a lot of use :DOur first job out of apprenticeship the foreman said you two are awfully young are you sure you know what your doing ?Get in that house there and do the second fix and I will look at it-if OK the jobs yours :DIt's been the same ever since -you have the basic skills get a new job and learn quick or get sacked --only ever been sacked once and that was for chinning the foreman - well did not exactly get sacked as the man I was subbing to simply moved me onto another job :D
I think I would rather go on recommendations any day than someone with useless qualification,you can either do the job or not (y)
GAS =easy to check and rectify-see and smell :)
Water= easy to check and rectify-see and mop up :D
electrickery ???? get my mate Paul :D although I am sure I could and do know basics, it hurts when you get a shock -=no see no touch :D
terry

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Posted a while back
Broken Link Removed

Same question asked here..

I posted .. one week a double glazing salesman .. the next a 'motorhome engineer' :RollEyes:

Broken Link Removed

the answer is still the same.. an engineer is someone who has gained a professional qualification, the minimum used to be ONC
I think you can now get them with the
tops off four Corn Flakes packets.. or a HNC with the Rice Krispies pack tops.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
nearest course is over 101 miles away from me outside nottingham.

as there appears to be only one centre running this course its obviously not very popular

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
No one can do everything.. nor should they claim to be qualified in all disciplines..

If you want LPG work done.. use a Gas Fitter with an LPG ticket.. not just Gas Safe..

If You need elec 12v work done.. use an auto electrician

If you need 230v work done.. use a qualified electrician, preferably with the latest IEE Regs ticket.

If you need body work done.. use a body shop,

If you need your fridge, water heater fixed.. go to a main dealer.

If you need a hab check and can't do yourself.. go to someone who has been recommended..

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Is it any different to any car repair garage? You hope they have trained people, our garage has various certificates hanging on the walls, which is reassuring but you also get one-man outfits where I suspect the guy is more or less self-taught.

This approved workshop scheme sounds like a step in the right direction. The inference is that before it you had no way of telling if a company had any sort of demonstrated expertise.

The downside of making it a requirement for more stringent qualifications is the cost to the customer will go up.

However, I would try and go on personal recommendations if trying to find a motorhome engineer.

DBK, tried that, that's how I got into the mess, the person who suggested the 'engineer' is also now not happy...

I will now only use people who I know and trust...
Venture Caravans
Terry.(y)
JCMH and Eddie Van Bits both have very good reputations and I suspect have the financial clout to back things up if they went wrong.. When I was in Spain and my boiler leaked, I spoke to Eddie and he gave me sound advice, I would go to Eddie but at the moment its just too far... I have also spoken to Peter at JCMH and again, I have no doubt at all that his staff are fully trained and they have the equipment and the knowledge how to do a good job. The MH industry can rest on the reputation of the work/dealers. The good ones are few and far between.

I may have some banter with Biggles and No Bits, but at the end of the day its their business and they carry the can.

DBK, yes the cost may go up, but what price do you pit on your life?

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years

By the way..."Guten Morgen", any more European genes Non English that we should be aware of ? (Welsh Nation takes a deep breath)

Nicht Herr Shifty my grandfather is traceable back for hundreds of years listed as a Thames Waterman which by the way required a seven seven year apprenticeship before qualifying. My own father also followed his tradition.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I employ qualified people, I personally have no formal qualifications, yet, since doing this job since 1988 many companies refer to me for opinion and product evaluation.

In 1997 I was invited to write the Code of Practice for Leisure Vehicles by Rosemary Younger, Director of the VSIB (Vehicle Security Installation Board)

I have many time been consulted by MIRRC (Motor Industry Repair & Research Centre) AKA Thatcham and sat on the consultation body, at Thatcham HQ regarding the demise of the VSIB and the formation and structure of the Thatcham Recognised Installers Scheme (TRI)

Many moons ago during a conversation between Van Bitz and a well known National supplier's technical department, I overheard Dave, our Workshop manager politely point out that that hands in the pictures of the "recommended installation guide" were in fact his and mine, so "yes" we had read the instructions lol

No one is too old to learn, but there has been nothing "new" invented that would require mine or my team to "retrain" so we are happy to attend the odd manufactures training course, but frankly most of those are a jolly, with much eating, drinking and quad biking taking place, rather than in depth training.

Trackstar took 20 of us to Palma Majorca in 2003 and spent (allegedly) £60K on us in five days, which was great but how that qualified as a "business trip" is beyond me. And Pioneer, Nick has just reminded me did a "product training" trip, where they flew him to Vegas to attend "SEMA" In Vegas, So no jolly there lol

As for the current raft of qualifications, who polices the manufacturers? have we seen a massive hike in customer satisfaction in recent years? as the answer to that is no, so we assume that the problem lies there as well.

There was a Company called Transleisure that were awful. They went bust in different guises but in essence their customer service was appalling and their installation work swung from great to atrocious. Customers that complained would often just be sworn at. However, they took great pride and made a huge deal about the fact that they had been granted BS5750 (it may have been the newer ISO9000)

Yet, certification does not make a statement of competence about the business it's self, purely that what the business does is traceable and it does consistently. IE: You can be crap at looking after your customers, but so long as you have "traceability of components" and your paperwork trail is consistent, you can boast about your business being awarded ISO9000 certification. It beggars belief.

There are still huge problems in the car industry but things are better. One of my closest friends, worked for a major Asian car manufacturer at a very senior level. They had a "clean room" manufacturing plant that was bespoke and cost millions, yet, they still were getting manufacturing problems. After lot of issues, Mike (my friend) was flown out to inspect the whole plant. Cut a long story short, they we're scrupulous about the staff, equipment and materials that went in through the "front" of the manufacturing plant, even to the point of air locks etc, but finished cars were just being driven out to the lot of massive open doors at the "end" of the line, allowing all sorts of dust contamination into the whole "clean" factory"

So, there are issues in the, by comparison "massive" car industry, an industry that must be worth Billions and billions, when you take into account second hand sales, parts, service repairs in addition to all of the new cars sold, so in comparison to the motorhome industry what chance is there of a regulated, Policed professional organisation?

Also what would you Police? Ultimately go to a campsite and look at a tent! You'll see a gas bottle, with a "Y" piece allowing a gas hob and a BBQ to be used, and extension lead, powering a fridge and, perhaps a battery charger for lights and a sound system/TV

Now think what exactly is a motorhome? it is a metal tent (albeit an expensive one ;-) You can describe the electrics as much as you wish, but ultimately we are plugging some electrical items into an extension lead! Your hook up lead is simply an extension lead. So what would we regulate there?

Your gas system, is number of items running off of a portable gas canister. Regulate that and next, you'll need a certificate to change a gas bottle over.

The fresh water system? same again, your pumping water around, from a tank that you have filed earlier .

What is the solution? I personally don't know, do we need more regulation for the sake of it? no, would it make us safer? No I don't think so. The reason that I don't think so is that having attended these types of courses over the years they're self conflicting.

If the "trainers" (remember, those that can "do" Those that "can't" teach! (Not my words, so don't shoot the messenger) fail too many on a course, the employers (those that pay for the course, ergo the trainers salaries) won't support the course, it whither and dies. So it is a conflict of interest, in that If I pay some one to train my staff and then fail them, I can only believe that the quality of the training is poor. So there is undue pressure to pass a high percentage, if not all of the attendee's

I know in academia, this isn't the case, but in private/professional vocational training schemes there is a direct correlation, between finance and success.

Also seeing the complete lack of comprehension on the faces of some that have attending courses, and listening to the questions asked, making it 100% obvious that they haven't a clue what's being discussed, I am sat here trying to think of an example where anyone has failed. Sadly I cannot think of one

About five years ago, I was discussing with META my alarm supplier a new scheme that was being discussed for Quality Control in the industry. It was being mooted that the larger manufacturers should use their own "technical" teams to inspect and police a percentage of the marques installations. This sounds great in principle, but again a massive conflict of interest, given that Van Bitz are Meta UK's largest single customer! In practice Van Bitz are all for improving the industry, but if we didn't care, it wouldn't be our suppliers taking us to task.

Eddie

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Individually, as mere punters, we are also lacking a vital qualification - the ability to assess a service supplier in advance. Generally, we can't even assess them in retrospect either, unless something has gone obviously or disastrously wrong.

However, put us all together & pool our experiences & certain suppliers rise to the top. Anyone who follows this forum has a short list of half a dozen suppliers who they know give good service at a fair price. They also have a second short list of members who they know give good advice.

It's the old cliche - you can't fool all of the people all of the time. FUN is getting to be a pretty good approximation to 'all of the people'.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I used to have a full had service every year, a couple of years back I droped my van off to a local service agent. They were just locking up and every body left form home, I know this because I got a lift back by them. They dont start work till 8am ( and I doubt they start on time) by 9:15 I was called to be told "all done" . The time I used the van after was a few days later, the shower wasnt working (faulty non return valve) and the charger wasnt working, I now have bought my own damp meter and learned how to use it myself and do my own hab checking

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
I did my apprenticeship and got qualifications from that = higher nationals or something --never had to show them for any job :) so not a lot of use :DOur first job out of apprenticeship the foreman said you two are awfully young are you sure you know what your doing ?Get in that house there and do the second fix and I will look at it-if OK the jobs yours :DIt's been the same ever since -you have the basic skills get a new job and learn quick or get sacked --only ever been sacked once and that was for chinning the foreman - well did not exactly get sacked as the man I was subbing to simply moved me onto another job :D
I think I would rather go on recommendations any day than someone with useless qualification,you can either do the job or not (y)
GAS =easy to check and rectify-see and smell :)
Water= easy to check and rectify-see and mop up :D
electrickery ???? get my mate Paul :D although I am sure I could and do know basics, it hurts when you get a shock -=no see no touch :D
terry

Whilst I will agree about gas leaks
Easy to detect if you have a sense of smell
And know what you are smelling

(. Bearing in mind natural gas is transported
Via high pressure pipelines without smell
Until it joins a local distribution zone )
Where a man made smell is introduced

LPG has a distinct smell of its own
Similar to the smell near an oil refinery

The problem comes when the products of combustion
Or the fumes if you will ,are emitted
If you have everything correct flueing ventilation
Flame picture correct
no problem

If not you can get carbon monoxide emitted
Which has no smell and is called the silent killer
For good reason .

I personally had to attend 2 premises where this had occurred
Not pleasent
deeply upsetting to be truthfull
The one that sticks in my mind

The gent in the house had asked a corgi engineer
( that was the name used in 1990) to service the boiler
As the storey goes the engineer called and checked the boiler
Said call back Monday to do it

I was called out Sunday late afternoon
To a gas escape
On arrival police and ambulance on site
Sgt asked me what was needed
Only thing at that time was
disconnect at the emergency control valve
Cap it label it so it wasn't a danger to any one else

Then the Sargent wanted the boiler removed for forensic checks
I then informed her of a problem if the boiler is removed
You have no evidence .
It must be left in situ till HSE have completed an investigation
I believe the engineer was imprisoned for a while

The moving thing for me was the meter
Was in a small cupboard next to a settee
Upon which the lady of the house sat
With her hand still resting on her Labradors Head
as if she was stroking it
I still shed a tear at the thought even now

So in essence if your not sure of your capability
Please find a good Plumber spark or gas man
To do it for you

As my qualification has been expired 3 years
And my last exam for qualification was 8 years ago
As far as I am concerned I will have to employ an engineer
To change the boiler in our new house when required

A yellow flame requires attention failure to do is
A funeral waiting sorry

Yellow flame is a lack of oxygen

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Well, I have a boat driver's licence, better known as a ticket.

.........and about as much use as an old one from the movies. No longer worth the cardboard it is written on as it was not re validated in 1988!

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
In the workshop, two of us are trained Webasto installation and service engineers. We gave up Webasto, not because the product or the Company, but the motorhome manufacturers simply wouldn't/couldn't follow the guidelines for installation.

This meant people with expensive motorhomes, who have been referred to Van Bitz by their supplying dealer screaming that they're going on holiday and what do you mean "The boiler is full of plastic swarf, and of course it is under warranty you fool"

The reality was that the dealer would expect Webasto to pay the invoice, the customer would expect to pay nothing and we would think "Why should Webasto have to pay a warranty invoice for what is clearly an manufacturers installation fault/negligence? The end result was that the customer didn't want to be told that the problem would happen time and time again until the while fresh water system was dismantled and cleaned: Not at Webasto's expense.

But my post has a double thread in that at Cornish Farm there is no mains gas so we are all oil. We needed a new oil burning boiler, we got British Gas in to supply, install and test as, whilst we "could" of installed it (we "would" have made a better job BTW) we didn't want to risk anyone's safety or compromise any legislation.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Whilst I will agree about gas leaks
Easy to detect if you have a sense of smell
And know what you are smelling

(. Bearing in mind natural gas is transported
Via high pressure pipelines without smell
Until it joins a local distribution zone )
Where a man made smell is introduced

LPG has a distinct smell of its own
Similar to the smell near an oil refinery

The problem comes when the products of combustion
Or the fumes if you will ,are emitted
If you have everything correct flueing ventilation
Flame picture correct
no problem

If not you can get carbon monoxide emitted
Which has no smell and is called the silent killer
For good reason .

I personally had to attend 2 premises where this had occurred
Not pleasent
deeply upsetting to be truthfull
The one that sticks in my mind

The gent in the house had asked a corgi engineer
( that was the name used in 1990) to service the boiler
As the storey goes the engineer called and checked the boiler
Said call back Monday to do it

I was called out Sunday late afternoon
To a gas escape
On arrival police and ambulance on site
Sgt asked me what was needed
Only thing at that time was
disconnect at the emergency control valve
Cap it label it so it wasn't a danger to any one else

Then the Sargent wanted the boiler removed for forensic checks
I then informed her of a problem if the boiler is removed
You have no evidence .
It must be left in situ till HSE have completed an investigation
I believe the engineer was imprisoned for a while

The moving thing for me was the meter
Was in a small cupboard next to a settee
Upon which the lady of the house sat
With her hand still resting on her Labradors Head
as if she was stroking it
I still shed a tear at the thought even now

So in essence if your not sure of your capability
Please find a good Plumber spark or gas man
To do it for you

As my qualification has been expired 3 years
And my last exam for qualification was 8 years ago
As far as I am concerned I will have to employ an engineer
To change the boiler in our new house when required

A yellow flame requires attention failure to do is
A funeral waiting sorry

Yellow flame is a lack of oxygen
I am proud to say, that i got a so called corgi engineer struck off years ago

we were in a temporary rented place because we were waiting for our house to be finished off. anyway had a problem with the boiler so called out an engineer. he checked and found the boiler dangerous so disconnected it. the landlord didnt like this as he was also corgi registered so said he would fix it himself. he took a look and reconnected the boiler and told the wife it should be safe but needed new parts and they were on order

i came home and checked the boiler, which was burning yellow, so NOT SAFE. so in anger I called the corgi register to check if landlord was qualified. anyway, they sent out an inspector, who disconnected it again and did a report. he also told the landlord that it needed to be repaired by the manufacturer. they came out next day and fitted a new burner assembly and billed the landlord

ultimately corgi challenged the landlord's qualifications and the quality of his work in connecting a known faulty boiler. so he got his registration cancelled. we moved from there a few weeks later after plenty of hassle. but hopefully saved at least one life getting rid of a cowboy gas fitter/general plumber

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Another job springs to mind

Whilst working for national grid as an emergency engineer
It's where my forum name comes from

Anyway long story short

Newley qualified gas safe/corgi engineer
Called us for a poor pressure at the meter

I turned up my first job is to show time of arrival
Via a roof mounted computer screen in the cab

New boy is tootin and footin
On the door stop puffed out chest
I'm a corgi your a Tofo
When you've finished playing space invaders on your lap top
Maybe you will sort this poor pressure out

After getting out of the van
Words were exchanged over why I was using
The computer as technology had caught up
And we were linked into HSE and if he was a corgi engineer
He should of known

Anyway I had already worked out the problem
Before tools were out of the box

He carried on about me wasting time
This was serious
I asked if he had performed a soundness test
No says he there's no gas mate as I told you
Asked the house holder if she cooked by gas
As the gas was still on would it be convenient
To come in and check there was gas at the cooker
I was aloud in,
corgi still saying there's no gas
Well similar words

Turns on the hot plate burners
Miracle hiss of gas click ignition of a perfect flame
One corgi going red
Back to the meter removes his test equipment
Asks mrs lady do you have a safety pin please
Corgi gone quiet
(At the meter is a test point when the test nipple is installed
At the factory a dob of silicone grease is applied
Which in warm weather can seal the small whole
In the pressure point/nipple)

Anyways after pin arrives I carefully insert it into the test point
Which releases the grease from the whole. Allowing the gas to flow

I then performed a safety and gas escape check very slowly
Corgi all this time had been quiet

Then I pulled my gas safe card out showed the lady
I could only do certain work but ALL gas engineers
Should carry it and present it when required at work

I then spun round asked the corgi does he a card
He said well I have but I left it at home
I said to mrs lady don't think I'd let him back in
Till he proved he had a qualification

With that he left without his tools to get his card

I left smiling

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Another job springs to mind

Whilst working for national grid as an emergency engineer
It's where my forum name comes from

Anyway long story short

Newley qualified gas safe/corgi engineer
Called us for a poor pressure at the meter

I turned up my first job is to show time of arrival
Via a roof mounted computer screen in the cab

New boy is tootin and footin
On the door stop puffed out chest
I'm a corgi your a Tofo
When you've finished playing space invaders on your lap top
Maybe you will sort this poor pressure out

After getting out of the van
Words were exchanged over why I was using
The computer as technology had caught up
And we were linked into HSE and if he was a corgi engineer
He should of known

Anyway I had already worked out the problem
Before tools were out of the box

He carried on about me wasting time
This was serious
I asked if he had performed a soundness test
No says he there's no gas mate as I told you
Asked the house holder if she cooked by gas
As the gas was still on would it be convenient
To come in and check there was gas at the cooker
I was aloud in,
corgi still saying there's no gas
Well similar words

Turns on the hot plate burners
Miracle hiss of gas click ignition of a perfect flame
One corgi going red
Back to the meter removes his test equipment
Asks mrs lady do you have a safety pin please
Corgi gone quiet
(At the meter is a test point when the test nipple is installed
At the factory a dob of silicone grease is applied
Which in warm weather can seal the small whole
In the pressure point/nipple)

Anyways after pin arrives I carefully insert it into the test point
Which releases the grease from the whole. Allowing the gas to flow

I then performed a safety and gas escape check very slowly
Corgi all this time had been quiet

Then I pulled my gas safe card out showed the lady
I could only do certain work but ALL gas engineers
Should carry it and present it when required at work

I then spun round asked the corgi does he a card
He said well I have but I left it at home
I said to mrs lady don't think I'd let him back in
Till he proved he had a qualification

With that he left without his tools to get his card

I left smiling

Which proves what I have said about gas safe, part "P" etc, once a bodger, always a bodger. You have to be taught "PRIDE" in your workmanship, without it the most qualified tradesman is just a bodger. Which is why I always do my own.

Ian

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
What are the qualifications required to be a Motorhome engineer etc.

I remember Jim was going to contact someone to find out...

I did, and I posted this

Dear James,

As requested, I am pleased to provide information below about the competency requirements for AWS membership. Everything else you need including complaint handling can be readily found on the AWS website (www.approvedworkshops.co.uk) under the home page and the “Why AWS?” page.

In terms of the minimum AWS skills requirements/qualifications for workshop membership, these encompass;

• City & Guilds qualification in caravan and/or motorhome servicing
• LPG ACoPs or Gas Safe qualification
• CITO (Caravan Industry Training Organisation) Inspection & Test qualification for electrical installations
• CITO LV/ELV Systems, Equipment & Circuits qualification

Upon application, workshops are assessed on-site and all qualifications are evidenced before approval can be granted. Thereafter, workshops are subject to a range of compliance activities and typically can be expected to be assessed on-site every 12 to 18 months.

I trust this answers your queries. I would of course be grateful for sight of your proposed copy before this goes live.

Kind regards

Frank

Frank Finch
AWS Manager

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
My personal view is that experience is more important than a piece of paper.

In my job I would much prefer to come up against an Oxbridge graduate with a double first working for some puffed up City firm, than an old gnarled unqualified paralegal with 30 years experience working for a small firm.

The former talks a good game, but the latter plays a good game.

I would think it's the same in most walks of life, but everyone makes mistakes sometimes.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
You are right there, Chris. In our outfit we have a load of highly paid MBA types who think they know everything but know nothing, then there is a skill gap to gnarly old people like Dux, who actually knows that he knows nothing but does know where to get the information..............

The worrying thing is that there appears to be no real succession plan to bridge the gap between the two

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back