Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Hi all
Just to clear up what happens on a meet, here is a précis:
A meet for want of a better word is always held at a commercial site. This obviates the requirement for Defra certificates and public liability insurance. A "rally" usually always requires a Defra certificate and public liability insurance due to it usually being held in a non licensed field.
This seems to cause great confusion to some people but it really is as simple as that.
In the first instance Motorhome Fun will only be organising "meets" to keep it all nice and simple, and the format is as follows:
1) A member puts up an informal meet in the forum, this usually takes the form of an open invitation to other members to join them at such and such a site on so and so date, but there can also be other types of meet arranged. The meet can also be put into the calendar so others can easily see what is on and when.
Other types of meet can include visits to certain attractions, where the camping element is on a commercial site, or some sort of celebration (for instance my birthday party :roflmto:) and for obvious reasons these types of meet require a longer lead time so the calendar is essential for these.
2) Other members decide to attend and they put there names down in the forum and also let the organiser know when they have booked in with the site.
3) Attendees should book themselves into the camp site as they would if they were making a personal reservation, ie "I would like to make a booking for XX weekend, my name is Mr XXXX and I would like to be pitched up with Mr YYYYY" (The meet organiser will provide their name to attendees by PM if required). Sometimes it is easier to use the website name as a reference, so as above but "I would like to be pitched up with the others from Motorhome Fun". The booking is always made in your own name and you, the attendee is responsible for making the booking and paying any deposit required by the camp site.
4) Arrive and have fun.

Easy isn't it? ::bigsmile:::bigsmile: It does seem to have caused such problems allegedly, but if you follow the above guidelines then there should be no problems whatsoever, just enjoy it ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Many thanks

Keith

H

Hugh Jardon

Deleted User
Hi all
Just to clear up what happens on a meet, here is a précis:
A meet for want of a better word is always held at a commercial site. This obviates the requirement for Defra certificates and public liability insurance. A "rally" usually always requires a Defra certificate and public liability insurance due to it usually being held in a non licensed field.
This seems to cause great confusion to some people but it really is as simple as that.
In the first instance Motorhome Fun will only be organising "meets" to keep it all nice and simple, and the format is as follows:
1) A member puts up an informal meet in the forum, this usually takes the form of an open invitation to other members to join them at such and such a site on so and so date, but there can also be other types of meet arranged. The meet can also be put into the calendar so others can easily see what is on and when.
Other types of meet can include visits to certain attractions, where the camping element is on a commercial site, or some sort of celebration (for instance my birthday party :roflmto:) and for obvious reasons these types of meet require a longer lead time so the calendar is essential for these.
2) Other members decide to attend and they put there names down in the forum and also let the organiser know when they have booked in with the site.
3) Attendees should book themselves into the camp site as they would if they were making a personal reservation, ie "I would like to make a booking for XX weekend, my name is Mr XXXX and I would like to be pitched up with Mr YYYYY" (The meet organiser will provide their name to attendees by PM if required). Sometimes it is easier to use the website name as a reference, so as above but "I would like to be pitched up with the others from Motorhome Fun". The booking is always made in your own name and you, the attendee is responsible for making the booking and paying any deposit required by the camp site.
4) Arrive and have fun.

Easy isn't it? ::bigsmile:::bigsmile: It does seem to have caused such problems allegedly, but if you follow the above guidelines then there should be no problems whatsoever, just enjoy it ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Many thanks

Keith

just taking this one step further.....perhaps

it might be helpful to the site to let them know of possible numbers of folks arriving (without making a commitment) so they can group people in a suitable area, and to use a standard name to reference against....ie motorhome fun group, then the folks at the campsite can group people relatively close together. then as you say folks should book their pitch in their name as normal and pay for their pitch as normal

say if you think that does not help :Smile:

OP
OP
TestPoster
Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
I agree totally Hugh, but the communication with the site should be left to the organiser (either the person proposing the meet or the elected organiser), because otherwise there are several opportunities for the booking to be screwed up matey ::bigsmile:
Scenario, I book with a site and give our surname and advise that possibly 10 other people will be booking in with us. Someone else calls to book and says "I am with the motorhome fun people and there will be about 10 of us coming" Now the potential is that the site will think they have two different groups attending two different meets and will set them out accordingly :whatthe:
This is why it is better to do as I have suggested mate, it does save any confusion and so far we have arranged or helped others to arrange over 30 meets :winky:

HTH

Keith

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Suzy

Funster
Jul 19, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Thats great Keith/Hugh I'm sure that once the guidelines are agreed all the Regional Meets Organisers will work to them.

R

RockieRV

Deleted User
Thats great Keith/Hugh I'm sure that once the guidelines are agreed all the Regional Meets Organisers will work to them.

oooo - regional meets organisers - Love it :winky::winky:

Sounds like a winning formula to me!!

Sharon

Suzy

Funster
Jul 19, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
I think the site is shaping up nicely, and is trying to learn from the mistakes of others who shall not be mentioned!!!!!!

OP
OP
TestPoster
Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
What's all this, regional organisers ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:
I thought that the intelligenci couldn't get their heads around meets to such an extent that site owners PM inboxes got filled up with questions about what it all means :roflmto::roflmto: and yet us humble beings seem to want to expand the idea?????
Fantastic idea Suzy, I am going to vote for you to be the first in line for the MHFun Northern Region Meets Organiser :winky:

Keith

R

RockieRV

Deleted User
I've gone dizzy, I feel quite honoured :rofl::rofl::rofl:

You know you have to prepare a speech, right? and get in the sarnies and champers?

Sharon

OP
OP
TestPoster
Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
I bet that knackered the machine........
All that champers and sarnies in a tape recorder :roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:

Keith

Congratulations on the promotion Suzy, I am sure that Jim will be along soon to make the announcement :roflmto:

H

Hugh Jardon

Deleted User
I agree totally Hugh, but the communication with the site should be left to the organiser (either the person proposing the meet or the elected organiser), because otherwise there are several opportunities for the booking to be screwed up matey ::bigsmile:
Scenario, I book with a site and give our surname and advise that possibly 10 other people will be booking in with us. Someone else calls to book and says "I am with the motorhome fun people and there will be about 10 of us coming" Now the potential is that the site will think they have two different groups attending two different meets and will set them out accordingly :whatthe:
This is why it is better to do as I have suggested mate, it does save any confusion and so far we have arranged or helped others to arrange over 30 meets :winky:

HTH

Keith

while i agree that in theory what you explained above makes perfect sense, when i called the campsite, i told them i was with a group of motorhomers meeting up there.....they knew nothing about it...i heard both the bloke and the woman questioning each other as to if they knew of a group of motorhomes meeting at their site that weekend....neither knew anything....hence why i explained that myself and probably a good few others would be booking up and it would be helpful if we were grouped together reasonably if the site layout allowed it.

they may have just forgotten what you had explained to them when you booked up the site for the meet. they did seem to be a bit in a fluster :winky:

congrats to suzy ::bigsmile:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Meets Organisers

Local meets are definitely the way to go, people do not want to travel too far on a Friday night.

I think we can wait a while and see what happens to the membership in the next few months, when we have more members we may well have people wanting to organise meets in their local area. Meets in the Cotswolds, Cumbria, The South Downs,Wales, Dartmoor, Cornwall and so on appeal to me and I am sure will appeal to a lot of people. We just need locals on the ground that can liaise with the site owners.

I think we should also look at getting a couple of Defra certs so that we can organise rallys at the shows, parked up next to MHfiction would be fun:Tongue:

I also like the MHFiction idea of a global meet,I thought they had chosen the wrong time of year but it seems quite heavily subscribed. But I also fancy an annual New Years Eve gathering somewhere, what do you guys think?

Suzy

Funster
Jul 19, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Sharon, I'm gutted, You said I had been promoted! He didn't even mention Northern, I'm going to bed sulking :frowny::frowny:

OP
OP
TestPoster
Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Sorry if you thought I was having a dig Hugh, I wasn't mate :blush:
I was merely trying to point out that it is easy to get crossed wires sometimes and camp site staff can get very busy and, as you say, flustered and confused.
That is the only reason I was suggesting having one point of contact and everyone else falling into line with that. Understand what you are saying about the site apparently not remembering anything about a group, but again if we all book saying we want to be close to Mr & Mrs XXX (or the group name if that is what is decided) that hopefully should work mate ::bigsmile:
I hope that we can all agree a basic format for doing this and look forward to any other comments ::bigsmile:

Keith

R

RockieRV

Deleted User
I also like the MHFiction idea of a global meet,I thought they had chosen the wrong time of year but it seems quite heavily subscribed.

'Free' appeals to a lot of people - no matter what time of year Jim!! :winky::winky:

H

Hugh Jardon

Deleted User
Sorry if you thought I was having a dig Hugh, I wasn't mate :blush:
I was merely trying to point out that it is easy to get crossed wires sometimes and camp site staff can get very busy and, as you say, flustered and confused.
That is the only reason I was suggesting having one point of contact and everyone else falling into line with that. Understand what you are saying about the site apparently not remembering anything about a group, but again if we all book saying we want to be close to Mr & Mrs XXX (or the group name if that is what is decided) that hopefully should work mate ::bigsmile:
I hope that we can all agree a basic format for doing this and look forward to any other comments ::bigsmile:

Keith

it good sometimes to have a mass debate:eek:

no offence taken or given :Smile:

i organise stuff all the time and know what divvies these folks can be at times, especially if they are a bit busy :Smile:

OP
OP
TestPoster
Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
i organise stuff all the time and know what divvies these folks can be at times, especially if they are a bit busy :Smile:

I hope they are not reading this Hugh :roflmto: Or your pitch will be on a steep bank mate :roflmto::roflmto:

Keith

PS Not sure about the mass debate though :whatthe:

H

Hugh Jardon

Deleted User
I hope they are not reading this Hugh :roflmto: Or your pitch will be on a steep bank mate :roflmto::roflmto:

Keith

PS Not sure about the mass debate though :whatthe:

Link Removed

ive never been backward in coming forwards Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back