Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
a debate about tv license when away from home

do i need a tv license 4 my m/h
like yeas ago you need a radio license for a radio in a car
or does my home one cove me

My understanding was your licence covered the home TV and a portable black & white TV for outside the home. I do not think you need to worry too much as if you were unlucky enough to be checked by the enforcement guys all they would do is check your home address ( ie show your driving licence as proof of address ) and if there was a licence registered to that address they would move on.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
You don’t need a separate TV Licence for
Any device powered solely by its own internal batteries (i.e. it is not connected to an aerial or plugged into the mains). Your main home’s TV Licence will cover this.

Boats, touring caravans or vehicles as they’re already covered by your main home’s TV Licence.

Static caravans, mobile homes or moveable chalets. Your main home’s TV Licence will cover you provided you don’t watch TV in both homes at the same time. In this case you would need to complete a Broken Link Removed .

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/for-your-home/second-home-aud8

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
You don’t need a separate TV Licence for
Any device powered solely by its own internal batteries (i.e. it is not connected to an aerial or plugged into the mains). Your main home’s TV Licence will cover this.

Boats, touring caravans or vehicles as they’re already covered by your main home’s TV Licence.

Static caravans, mobile homes or moveable chalets. Your main home’s TV Licence will cover you provided you don’t watch TV in both homes at the same time. In this case you would need to complete a Broken Link Removed .

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/for-your-home/second-home-aud8

More or less what I said. Thanks for the finer details.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
You also don't need a licence at all if your home has no permanent address, boat etc.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
really.. ?

would that mean a fulltimer, of no fixed abode or other place of permanent domicile, doesn't need a TV licence ?

I can only tell you this Jim. Some years ago, we were spending several months on our Narrowboat. We were moored up outside Rugby, when a knock came on the hatch. This guy identified himself as a licence checking whatever, and asked us if we had a TV licence. As it was, we had one, (at home), but feeling a tad pedantic, (not like me :LOL:), I said we hadn't. He asked for our address, to which I replied " A boat, on a canal, England". Fine said the man, you don't require a TV licence if you have no permanent address, and left, going on to the next moored boat.
I got to think well yes, where would they send it to, if your address was 'boat'.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I can only tell you this Jim. Some years ago, we were spending several months on our Narrowboat. We were moored up outside Rugby, when a knock came on the hatch. This guy identified himself as a licence checking whatever, and asked us if we had a TV licence. As it was, we had one, (at home), but feeling a tad pedantic, (not like me :LOL:), I said we hadn't. He asked for our address, to which I replied " A boat, on a canal, England". Fine said the man, you don't require a TV licence if you have no permanent address, and left, going on to the next moored boat.
I got to think well yes, where would they send it to, if your address was 'boat'.

Just read the TV licensing site and no reference to this situation..

Since narrow boats are not on their data base they won't know if you have one or not.. same would apply to a fulltimer in a camper van..
but since it is now a paperless license a physical address is not required..

Looks like a loophole..

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
but since it is now a paperless license a physical address is not required..

And they send the reminder to where?? By 'paperless', I assume you mean it isn't sent by snail mail, but then how do you apply for one, or even get it, if you haven't a postal addy? And therefore what property does it appertain to?

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just got this from 'Narrowboat Living'

Most liveaboard narrowboaters don’t have a fixed address for them to check. They’re moored along the cut near a bridge or are continually cruising. I haven’t heard of a single narrowboat owner having to face the wrath of the BBC

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
And they send the reminder to where?? By 'paperless', I assume you mean it isn't sent by snail mail, but then how do you apply for one, or even get it, if you haven't a postal addy? And therefore what property does it appertain to?

yes, I agree as I said a loophole..

but how do you buy a new TV with no license ?

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
You go into a shop, and say, 'I wish to buy that TV' Thank you, says the man, you pay cash, he asks your address, 'A Boat, A Canal, England', or whatever.

OR, buy one off ebay. As with buying new number plates, documentation nor an address is ever asked for.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Tell them you live abroad. That's what I did!
You can't actually buy a licence without an address - so it is a catch 22 which they can't enforce!

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
You also don't need a licence at all if your home has no permanent address, boat etc.

Yes you do. If the boat or motorhome is your sole residence then you need a licence to receive live broadcasts. Out TV licence is linked to the motorhome in the address panel. It is a licence to operate receiving apparatus nothing to do with an address.

I have just read the later posts. All I can say is when we contacted them when we left bricks and mortar for the motorhome, we were required to provide a contact address same as DVLA, Insurance etc. That address was on the licence together with the vehicle reg. number. We have been renewing it by DD so have not had any other contact with them.

Are we the only people paying for a TV licence?

My amateur station is in the motorhome and I need a licence to operate that although it is now a free licence it has to be validated ever 5 years. I have just revalidated.

Last edited:

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
We moved here 9 months ago and transferred or "old" licence to the new address. A few weeks later we got a letter from the TV Licence plonkers saying there was no record of a licence at this address, so I rang the "help-line" and explained to them that we had transferred the licence from our previous address and after a while they agreed to send us a new copy of the licence as it ran to 2016 (I believe they do this to save a bit of money as we pay by DD) This duly arrived so we thought sorted! We have had a detector van round, who knocked on the door so quietly the dog didn't bark, and as he sneaked away , my wife shouted after him, but he must have been deaf, because he got in his car and drove off!. We rang them back and were told "everything is sorted, don't worry about it" So we didn't until the next letter came! We decided to ignore it and all was well for a few more weeks until another letter came! They have been arriving about every month since, until this week when we got another to tell us that an investigator would be calling in the near future, at any time to check we are not watching/using any equipment, threatening us with court and a possible£1000 fine. Bring it on, says I We have the licence and all the letters to show we do have the licence.

Talk about waste of licence-payers money!!!!!!
Cheers, Dave(y)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
If the boat or motorhome is your sole residence then you need a licence to receive live broadcasts.

You don't need an address to own a boat. You can be a 'continues cruiser', and pay your licence by cash, cheque, or credit card. I'm not really sure just how you licence a vehicle without an address, but hey, there are hundreds of gypsies out there doing just that. If your talking about 2 mtr transmissions, I know what you mean.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Are we the only people paying for a TV licence?

I suspect you may be the only full timers paying for one!

Whilst on their website they say you need one in the motorhome, to buy online you have to enter an address and postcode, no way round it. To phone them up, you still need to quote an address and postcode! Whilst many FT have an address, many don't, just a 'care of' for driving licence, vehicle reg and insurance.
Now - with that in mind, you simply don't have to speak to a TV licence inspector if he happens to visit a site, and they have no right of entry to your van, as its your 'house'. Campsites are - in any event - private property. If they turn up at your van door, they are most likely trespassing (technically). They actually have no right to call on you. If they wanted to be really really efficient, they could take your reg. no. and put it through DVLA - only to find that that address actually does have a licence (even if its not you!), and I seriously doubt any would ever go that far!

Anyway - I don't watch BBC, I pay for Sky;)

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I suspect you may be the only full timers paying for one!

Whilst on their website they say you need one in the motorhome, to buy online you have to enter an address and postcode, no way round it. To phone them up, you still need to quote an address and postcode! Whilst many FT have an address, many don't, just a 'care of' for driving licence, vehicle reg and insurance.
Now - with that in mind, you simply don't have to speak to a TV licence inspector if he happens to visit a site, and they have no right of entry to your van, as its your 'house'. Campsites are - in any event - private property. If they turn up at your van door, they are most likely trespassing (technically). They actually have no right to call on you. If they wanted to be really really efficient, they could take your reg. no. and put it through DVLA - only to find that that address actually does have a licence (even if its not you!), and I seriously doubt any would ever go that far!

Anyway - I don't watch BBC, I pay for Sky;)

All full timers have to have a contact address. The care off address as you call it is needed for all legal purposes, not just for DVLA. You cannot get away legally in this country with "No Fixed abode" as you would be classed as a vagrant. Gypsies use a site or settled family address.

A TV licence is required for any apparatus capable of receiving live broadcasts. It is not just BBC broadcasts so it is still required for Sky transmissions. The Sky fee is a separate issue.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back