Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Starting our third year of traveling in the motorhome and we have actually arrived on site with a motorbike on the Easylifter. :LOL:

Type approval, Autotrail and the towbar company all gave us grief but we got there in the end.

Only waiting for it to stop raining and hopefully for the sun to come out in Slimbridge and then I may take it off and actually ride it. (y)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Starting our third year of traveling in the motorhome and we have actually arrived on site with a motorbike on the Easylifter. :LOL:

Type approval, Autotrail and the towbar company all gave us grief but we got there in the end.

Is there any chance of giving a bit of detail on the issues if you are able to do so? It would be very helpful to a lot of people. Cheers!

OP
OP
MikeD

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Photo duly uploaded (I hope)

When we bought the motorhome we had always wanted to tow a motorbike. Autotrail stated it should tow ok but when we went to have a bar fitted new type approval rules had been introduced.

Even though our motorhome predated the cut off dates no one would fit a towbar as we are 2012 plated.

Autotrail did not have a type approved towbar for the van :(

In October 2013 we found a maker who said they have a type approved towbar for the van. We duly booked in for February 2014 and had it fitted.

Then we could not get the type approval paperwork from them till June. When it arrived and the Easylifter was fitted the motorhome dragged its backside on the road.

Visit Dave Newell for air assisted suspension to regain ride height (great job and nice recommended site only a couple hundred metres from their workshop)

Now first trip out with scooter on the back. Towed great, no problems.

It has taken just over two years to get here and a huge amount of hard earned money.

Waiting for the rain to stop now :D:D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    869.6 KB · Views: 55
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Can I ask you why the AutoTrail dragged it's arse (your words) when fitted with that particular trailer ?
It's cantilever construction and should put little or no weight on the tow ball.
Was it the weight of the tow bar itself, which I doubt ?

Glad you are sorted out at last, by the way. (y)

OP
OP
MikeD

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
It dragged its backside before the Easylifter was fitted.

Whilst the towbar ball is at the lower end of the recommended height and I can only assume I am running a bit heavy.

The Autotrail tracker like many new vans does not have a huge payload.

There was a post recently where it appeared a lot of people have retrospectively fitted air support at the rear. Not sure that they were all as mine a Fiat based van.

The Easylifter has been a great bit of kit so far but one trip of 100 miles is not a big test. I have a Vespa scooter of around 165kg on it and it towed really well.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
It dragged its backside before the Easylifter was fitted.

Whilst the towbar ball is at the lower end of the recommended height and I can only assume I am running a bit heavy.

The Autotrail tracker like many new vans does not have a huge payload.

There was a post recently where it appeared a lot of people have retrospectively fitted air support at the rear. Not sure that they were all as mine a Fiat based van.

The Easylifter has been a great bit of kit so far but one trip of 100 miles is not a big test. I have a Vespa scooter of around 165kg on it and it towed really well.

I understand now. (y)

Is yours the 3.5t, 3.65t or the 4.25t model ?
That would obviously make quite a bit of difference with the length of rear overhang that they have.

OP
OP
MikeD

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I understand now. (y)

Is yours the 3.5t, 3.65t or the 4.25t model ?
That would obviously make quite a bit of difference with the length of rear overhang that they have.

We are 3650kg and if I remember around 350kg payload. If I bought replacement van now it would have to have at least 500kg or more of payload.

350kg is nowhere near enough especially if you take a lump off for the makers build tolerance.

5% on 3300 is around 165kg. That only leaves around 200kg for everything else. :(

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
We have the Comanche, and by the time you cram all of your "wanted not needed" stuff on board I am sure we are sailing close to the wind.
Going to take it to a local weighbridge one day when it is fully loaded and frighten myself. :eek:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
We are 3650kg and if I remember around 350kg payload. If I bought replacement van now it would have to have at least 500kg or more of payload.

350kg is nowhere near enough especially if you take a lump off for the makers build tolerance.

5% on 3300 is around 165kg. That only leaves around 200kg for everything else. :(

If it is on the fiat camper chassis then with higher load rated tyres at the rear and air assist at the rear you could probably uprate to 3850. Worth putting over a weigh bridge and worth talking to SV tech

Just been through the same thing with my Pilote

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back