onthemove

Free Member
Jul 6, 2014
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
Afternoon, I am new to this site but it did look helpful so I registered myself! I am traveling down to Spain and Portugal via ferry to Bilbao - I have been to France and Italy many times and decided this year to risk Spain - is there anywhere I shouldn't head for and why, also on a bonus is there anywhere Aires or caravan parks, places etc I should go and visit or stay at. It will be 3 adults and 1 child, no dogs but quite a large motorhome, cheers

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Welcome to the Forum!

There are as many suggestions as there are forum members, but to give us a clue when do you propose going, and for how long. Also do you have any particular interests? Spain has several beautiful cities which it would be a shame to miss, especially if you're into heritage and culture.

We've found generally that there are few places to stay away from in Spain, although (inevitably) there are a few members who have suffered unfortunate episodes - like anywhere you keep your wits about you and if you don't feel comfortable move on.

TerryL

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
I have sent you a Private Message with a code for a discount on Brittany Ferries.
Click on INBOX at the top right of the page to read the message.
Mike

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We did Plymouth to Santander at the end of April and spent 5 weeks touring southern Spain and Portugal.

In Spain we were impressed with the roads / motorway infrastructure. There were only a handful of tolls on our route and we found them much cheaper than in France. In fact we were always charged the same price as an ordinary car, even though we have a normal 3,500kg coachbuilt MH, albeit of modest size - at 6m long, by 2.3m wide and 2.76m high. Not sure if it would cost more for a bigger rig? The cross-country toll motorways were empty, and even the free ones had little traffic, apart from along the Costa del Sol. Travelling was a pleasure.

Personally, I'd steer clear of the Barcelona area. As beautiful as the city is, there's so much petty crime including on the surrounding roads and highways. It's a great shame the local police seem unable to get a grip on it. Our car was broken into twice on one holiday in the late 80s, and ever since I have numerous friends and relatives who have been affected by crime in the area, not to mention ongoing reports on various forums. Sorry, but just a personal view.

However, we had a great time, and without any security problems whatsoever. We did use ACSI camping sites much of the time though. With €16 coming through on my no-load credit card at about £12.95 a time for a pitch with hook-up, it was good value. One site we stayed at we even had our own private bathroom included at that price! (y)

The tolls were a bit more expensive in Portugal and slightly complicated because they use two completely different systems. Some roads your registration number is read and your credit card billed accordingly (ie no barriers etc) and other roads have the more traditional system of collecting a ticket at the beginning of the journey and paying at a toll-booth at the exit. Obviously, you can avoid toll roads altogether if you wish, but we used them fairly extensively because we had a lot of ground to cover and we found the journeys more relaxing - just a personal choice.

In any case, have a brilliant trip.

Mike

OP
OP
O

onthemove

Free Member
Jul 6, 2014
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
Thank you all, we have booked already and we are going for most of August. We will be aware that vehicles can be broken into but we are all alarmed on every door/locker, this has always been my worry about Spain, but this could happen anywhere really. We do shut curtains etc when we leave so no one can look in or see what you have in there.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
O

onthemove

Free Member
Jul 6, 2014
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
Mike do I understand this correctly the ACSI card gives discount mostly in low season - do you know if you can get discount in high season?

Geejay

Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
If you go on the ACSI website and look at the sites you may be interested in it shows you when the discounts are available - usually not July/August. Broken Link Removed

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
places etc I should go and visit or stay at.

Google:

Alhambra. Avila. Granada. Cordoba. Salamanca. Aranjuez.

Jerez best racetrack.

Benidorm, L'Albia, El Puerto St Maria, Cadiz for seaside.

Gibraltar.

Deleted User
Some sites give 10% for having a Camping Carnet International (CCI) also good for leaving with reception instead of passport and also public liability insurance.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Mike do I understand this correctly the ACSI card gives discount mostly in low season - do you know if you can get discount in high season?

As somebody has already mentioned - ACSI (and Camping Cheques) provide great savings off season. The discount availability varies from site to site, to reflect local demand, but plenty of places have a surprisingly short 'peak season' when the discounts are NOT available. However, August could be a bit of a challenge, although with some research you might find a few sites that offer discounts in the second half of the month. You can find all the information online.

Getting hold of the ACSI book is also not easy now. Apparently, ACSI themselves have sold out of the 2014 edition, as have Vicarious Books, one of the larger suppliers in the UK. Other possible sources are the Camping & Caravanning Club and the Caravan Club. Camping Cheques have a handful of sites offering discounts all year I think, but again that would need some research - I'm not sure about Spain? They are also slightly more complicated and not as flexible as ACSI, but still worth considering in my opinion.

Mike

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
I have a spare ACSI book also card ordered two at the at the start of year by mistake you can have it at cost price. PM me
Laurie.

simply

Free Member
Apr 24, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Renault Trafic
Exp
Newcomer
I also have an unopened 2014 ACSI book and card available at cost price (not that I can remember how much that was).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back