Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Ok. I bought one of these to test our leisure battery. Can you explain how to use it please? The instruction leaflet is double Dutch to me.

Attachments

• 20140706_184608.jpg
    20140706_184608.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 76

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If you simply want to check the battery voltage then set the meter to DC volts, probably 20vdc on the scale/dial.

Put the red wire to the battery positive (+)
Put the black wire to the battery negative (-)

The reading on the screen is your actual battery voltage.

12.6v/12.7v volts is fully charged.....12.0v is fully discharged.

If you get the red and black wires the wrong way round dont worry....the screen will show a - symbol before or after the numbers.
Its still the same reading only negative.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The yellow scale on the left is DC volts and the most appropriate on your meter is 50

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Before taking any measurements, zero the scale using the white screw below the needle.

Turn it very slowly until the needle lines up on the zero's on the scale.

A little off and the results could be incorrect.

Jan 16, 2014
Harleston, Harleston, Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class, Autotrail Scout
Exp
Oct, 2013
For an accurate reading you need to view the needle such that it is covering it's own reflection in the mirror at the bottom. (PARALLAX ERROR)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
With that type meter ignore my comment about connecting the wires the wrong way.....they MUST go red to positive, black to negative or the needle will try to swing the wrong way.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
sorry to say, but with an analogue meter of that quality and on a 0-50 vdc scale, it won't be very accurate, it will also be difficult to read accurately.

If you want to learn how to use a meter, and not just for battery voltage, then my advice is to buy a reasonably priced digital multimeter from the likes of Maplins .. from as little as £20

easy to use and easy to read..

digital-multimeter-with-voltage-detector.jpg

Broken Link Removed

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
sorry to say, but with an analogue meter of that quality and on a 0-50 vdc scale, it won't be very accurate, it will also be difficult to read accurately.

If you want to learn how to use a meter, and not just for battery voltage, then my advice is to buy a reasonably priced digital multimeter from the likes of Maplins .. from as little as £20

easy to use and easy to read..

digital-multimeter-with-voltage-detector.jpg

Broken Link Removed

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

Like most things in life you get what you pay for David. It doesn't say on the info what the % accuracy is.. so presumably it's not great..

If it's only for using once in a while to test the battery, then it will do the job... it's better than a cheap analogue

If you are going to use a lot I would buy something a bit better .. look for % accuracy..
an example is the Maplins one in my link that gives DCV accuracy as +/- 0.5%

You can of course go to the other extreme and buy a pro meter like a Fluke, but they are over £100

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
For an accurate reading you need to view the needle such that it is covering it's own reflection in the mirror at the bottom. (PARALLAX ERROR)
The yellow scale on the left is DC volts and the most appropriate on your meter is 50

it is only for occasional use. These are the instructions.
We cant make head nor tail of them

Attachments

• 20140707_094539.jpg
    20140707_094539.jpg
    301.2 KB · Views: 27
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Like most things in life you get what you pay for David. It doesn't say on the info what the % accuracy is.. so presumably it's not great..

If it's only for using once in a while to test the battery, then it will do the job... it's better than a cheap analogue

If you are going to use a lot I would buy something a bit better .. look for % accuracy..

You can of course go to the other extreme and buy a pro meter like a Fluke, but they are over £100

Quite right but from the original post I thought within 5% would be fine!! I'm a bit of a rough and ready DIY bloke and it would be well worth the extra if your'e using it a lot but for a quick check on the battery volts would probably be more than up to it and there is a tenner towards the battery if you need it :). Our local (not part of a big chain) car spares place would check it for you foe free (and they are honest) just don't try one of the chains where the staff are on a target:(

David

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Just a point about the multi meters above and others of the same types. Even if it has a 240v range it is NOT advisable to use these meters to check mains voltages, it is a safety issue. You really want a martindale tester for mains work, much safer.

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Some multimeters have three sockets (as the screwfix one). The left hand one is for measuring amps (current). The right hand one for volts (centre is negative -common). Make sure you use the correct one!

Apr 2, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Just a point about the multi meters above and others of the same types. Even if it has a 240v range it is NOT advisable to use these meters to check mains voltages, it is a safety issue. You really want a martindale tester for mains work, much safer.
Evidence please.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The probes are inappropriate for mains work. They should incorporate fuses and the contact tip should be shielded all the way to the tip.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

Jim, just recently been on a school site and junked more than 60% of all their fluke digi meters.. All less than 2 years old and all miles out.. Fluke seem no better than a whole raft of much cheaper units nowadays.. I guess it is the 'eastern influence' again :eek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back