idiot question, 5th wheels/caravan (1 Viewer)

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Can someone explain the differance between a 5th wheel and a luxury caravan, ok I have seen 5th wheels and know what they are but surely they are just glorified caravans. The reason i never took to caravans was haveing to use site, having always to go back from wherever you are to collect it. a
Am I missing something what makes 5th wheels different.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Does not use a tow bar it hooks on an attachment on the flat bed of a pick up.

5th wheel here Link Removed

Last edited:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
As above but the term 5th wheel comes from the artic style coupling that connects the trailer to the tow vehicle.

5th Wheels are usually a lot heavier, much better equipped, longer and have slide outs and make a UK caravan no matter how "luxurious" look like a garden shed by comparison. :ROFLMAO:

If you ever get a chance to look round one grab it with both hands you will be amazed at what you can do with a "Caravan"!! :Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
and apart from the usual plus points Roger....proper kitchen, proper toilet, proper furniture ect you dont get the problems of fishtailing/swaying that is associated with caravans as the 'hitch' is more central to the towing vehicle (infront of the rear axle at least) instead of being a metre or so behind the rear wheels and producing a greater moment arm. :thumb:
how often do you see a truck with a 'tankslapper'. they either go straight or they jack-knife, luckily not very often. :whatthe:

john.

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Cheers, all points noted, but my original objections to being a tugger still stand, Perfect for fulltiming on a semi permananent site though.
I can see the advantages, couldn't wild in Devon or Cornwall though. So not a contender for me thanks for the answers

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
How does a fifth wheel get around the max towable length that restricts caravans.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
cos its not a caravan roger....i think its classed as an articulated vehicle whereas a caravan is a large box trailer
i think the max length in the uk is 18mtrs but i might have pulled this out of a hat at some point in my life:Doh:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
size matters

since 1 may 1983 length 12.2mtr . width 2.3 mtr can be 2.55 if tow unit has max permissable wght over 3,500kg.also to be an artic 20%of trailer wght to impose on tow unit. the main advantage over caravan is that the turning capability and a 20ft artic trailer and unit is about as long as a 10ft caravan n mazda bongo . i have both so know this is true . :thumb:

Andy - V8 Diesel

Free Member
Sep 3, 2008
Manchester
Funster No
MH
30ft 5th wheel
motor homes are fun....fifth wheelers are hard work ! nuff sed ! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Yep reverse the 5ver into smaller place than motorhome:ROFLMAO: press electric landing leg button:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: pull fifth wheel coupler:ROFLMAO:
Press button for the slide outs while the Mrs gets the drinks:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: very very hard to do:Eeek::Eeek: Must not for get to sit and enjoy the view.:thumb::thumb:

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i personaly travel in a 5th wheel outfit for 6mths of the year . visitng spain n maroc n any where between . cross desert , mountains any where my fellow motor home friends go i am with them . go further than lots of people ever dream of going . i also have 4x4 vehicles and have travelled for years in a vw t2.t25 . life is too short to have a rehearsal . if you cant drive n tow then dont get a 5th wheel. when i am up the atlas mountains 3,800mtrs or on a beach this winter i wont be thinking of you here in uk . but youcan be with the many people who venture out of the box n enjoy life n its warm n dry in maroc. christmas agadir beach look out for the artic it might be me ,or the german in the m.a.n. it doesnt matter what we drive car , caravan truck, tent ,m,bike ,etc go for it . truth is the only law. cheers vwalan.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back