Free Member
May 29, 2014
Worcester
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick
Exp
since 2013
I would like to wild camp in Yorkshire to watch a mountain section ot the Tour of France.
Has anyone any ideas where is a good place to park.

Thanks Richard
  • :doh:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Can't help but I suspect all possible spots have already been grabbed!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I don't know about camping places but parking (and general travel) will be difficult even with lots of farm fields being opened as temporary car parks (may be fun if it rains :LOL:).
See my earlier posts on Broken Link Removed.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Sites and pitches hiked in price yet fully booked since last year. What the hell is the tour de France to do with Yorkshire anyway.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I was over woodhead pass last week and all the wild camping spots are being shut off to traffic -but lots of farmers fields are opening up :DThe signs say road closing for around 8 hrs --only thing I can think of is get there early and claim to have broken down on a couple of the off road lay byes then sit and wait ;) No idea if it will work but I cannot see the officials been able to force you to take a free breakdown or recovery :)-Pity I am using my van this weekend or you could have borrowed it to sit on the roof on your deck chair and watch them go by -no probs walking on the roof :):LOL:
terry

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Any vehicles "broken down" over Woodhead (or miles around) will be towed away Terry. We came back that way yesterday and there are signs all over the place. In the towns and villages the only vehicles allowed to park on-street will be pre-authorised ones (basically residents who have no off street parking).

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Sites and pitches hiked in price yet fully booked since last year. What the hell is the tour de France to do with Yorkshire anyway.
Bet you would feel different if it went past The Lazy Buzzard Campsite ;):D
terry

Reactions: GJH

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Bet you would feel different if it went past The Lazy Buzzard Campsite ;):D
terry
My price would not be inflated, same price as now and no extras and to hell with everyone thinking I'm only in it for the money, hee hee:p:D I have been charging the same for 4 years so actually getting less every year.

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Any vehicles "broken down" over Woodhead (or miles around) will be towed away Terry. We came back that way yesterday and there are signs all over the place. In the towns and villages the only vehicles allowed to park on-street will be pre-authorised ones (basically residents who have no off street parking).

Graham, even residents can't park on Padfield Main Road! Not as if the race goes anywhere near it! Excuse is that it needs to be clear for emergency vehicles ... not sure what they think happens during normal times!!

Lots of farmers opening fields for parking but not seen any camping around the Glossop area. Windy Harbour fully booked for a function.

We went over Holme Moss a couple of weeks ago and there are plenty of places for camping between Holmfirth and Woodhead. Don't know if you have to book though.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Graham, even residents can't park on Padfield Main Road! Not as if the race goes anywhere near it! Excuse is that it needs to be clear for emergency vehicles ... not sure what they think happens during normal times!!

Lots of farmers opening fields for parking but not seen any camping around the Glossop area. Windy Harbour fully booked for a function.

We went over Holme Moss a couple of weeks ago and there are plenty of places for camping between Holmfirth and Woodhead. Don't know if you have to book though.
There are signs all over the roads in Hadfield Marie. From what I noticed in recent days I think Padfield Main Road is part of a one way system. Flamin' cheek inconveniencing residents like that just so a few folk can make a packet.

I think the camping places have been taking bookings.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
You've got no chance of wild camping. I've covered most of the route and there are signs every couple of miles warning that the roads will be closed and any unauthorised vehicles will be towed away. They are even closing side roads and feeder roads. The TDF website states that those with motorhomes should not expect it to be like in France but that you should be prepared to walk between 1 & 4 miles from where you park to where you can see the actual race.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back