Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
Has anybody fitted their own LPG tank? Is it difficult to do as DIY? Does anybody know what the largest size you can fit on a Renault Master chassis? I am looking at the Link Removed gas tank I fitted a Gasgow bottle on my last van but like the idea of freeing a locker & having the tank fixed on the chassis.
At the moment I have been told by a dealer that the biggest size I can fit on a renault is only 20 litres:Sad: was hoping for something a bit bigger.

Last edited:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Cool: Hi Kon tiki. Fitting an LPG tank isn't that difficult. Straightforwards DIY dependant on where the tank(s) are sited. With regards to size you can fit to a Kontiki? If it's anything like our's? Then the 20 litre sounds about right. How about on the roof or at the rear above the Tow bar? I have seen boxes fitted to the rear in that position. :winky:

OP
OP
Kon tiki

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
20 litres is slightly smaller than the standard 11 kg bottle & the cost of the MTH tanks is the same from 20 to 70 litres. I can get it fitted at the dealers before I collect the van but I'm not getting it much cheaper than if I go to MTH (do they do them cheaper at the shows :RollEyes: I could always wait), I am contemplating fitting it myself & saving about £200 but I would obviously like to get the largest size possible for the convienence.

I wouldn't have thought fitting on the back or the roof would be practical or even safe :Wacko: It could be fitted in the garage but it would defeat the object of giving me extra storage space.

Has anybody got a Renault Master based motorhome fitted with a LPG tank, if so what size is it?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

V

vicdicdoc

Deleted User
Have a look at the pic's on my jokingly called 'website' . . . you'll see the size of tank fitted under the chassis of our van - a for DIY, I think unless you 100% sure you can tackle the whole job its best left to experts.
Vic & Sylvia's : Photos

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Kon tiki go here: Link Removed see a selection of tanks, from the sizes given you should be able to work out what size you can fit.

Olley

Baldy

Free Member
May 8, 2008
The open road
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
officially since 22 feb 2010
Sure

I am sure it can be done, although on a personal level, it is not a task I would undertake. Oh yes, and do not weld it in place, when it is full.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
:Cool: Hi Kon tiki. Fitting an LPG tank isn't that difficult. Straightforwards DIY dependant on where the tank(s) are sited. With regards to size you can fit to a Kontiki? If it's anything like our's? Then the 20 litre sounds about right. How about on the roof or at the rear above the Tow bar? I have seen boxes fitted to the rear in that position. :winky:

Boxes fitted to the rear do not contain a combustable material, rear shunt, bang, oops:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi Kon tiki go here: Link Removed see a selection of tanks, from the sizes given you should be able to work out what size you can fit.

Olley

remove the last two letters from the address (to) for it to work

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kon tiki

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
I am sure it can be done, although on a personal level, it is not a task I would undertake. Oh yes, and do not weld it in place, when it is full.
There was me thinking I could weld it straight to the chassis & then use a candle to check for leaks :ROFLMAO: Reminds me of the time when we lived in the USA & the exhaust had broke, the place I took it to just gas welded it back together (I moved off down the street as he was welding it right next to the petrol tank:Eeek:)

Thanks for the pics Vic,
I don't have a problem with attempting most jobs DIY I have an engineering background, but I am not as fit as I used to be. In fact after building my last campervan in November I decided that it's just not worth the effort. I always like to get all the information I can before tackling any job, if I can get it done for not much more than the DIY I am happy to let somebody else do all the sweating & swearing that is required & I will just make the coffee. I fitted the Gaslow bottles on my Frankia which ws simple. Mechanically I'm pretty confident electrically I read a lot before I start & double or treble check eveerything to make sure its ok.

Olley
I couldn't get the link to work & couldn't find any info on the site but have emailled them for info.

I won't be picking the van up until next week but I am thinking of not having them fit the tank as it is very expensive (over £600) for a 20 litre one DIY price is around £400. Might still have to consider the Gaslow or other refillable cylinder type. Until I get the van I don't know how much space there is to fit a under floor one.

Thanks for all the advice

OP
OP
Kon tiki

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
Rang & spoke to a guy at Link Removed prices seem to be very reasonable also they are in Caernarfon not too far from us in Wrexham (we know quite a few good wild camping spots around there. Best option is to take it there & try the tanks for size to see what we can fit ideally around the 30 litre.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Rang & spoke to a guy at Link Removed prices seem to be very reasonable also they are in Caernarfon not too far from us in Wrexham (we know quite a few good wild camping spots around there. Best option is to take it there & try the tanks for size to see what we can fit ideally around the 30 litre.

I have heard good things about this guy previously.

OP
OP
Kon tiki

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
Just saw this on ebay bit too big for me though Link Removed

Current bid is £10.50 but it has to be collected from Hindon, Wiltshire. Only 19 hours left if anybody was interested.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back