HELP, Damaged Rubber Roof Seal (1 Viewer)

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi Folks

I have split the rubber roof coating along the edge of the roof for the entire length of one side of the van by clashing with a tree branch.

I have tried to emergency seal it with strip of the stuff that is used to seal around the edges of baths and such like but there is still a leak path under it.

Has anybody any suggestions upon how I can make a good repair before the wet and damp gets in to the walls.

Cheers

Jim

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi Jim,

Use Eternabond Tape.Comes in various width x 50' lengths.

I believe Linda stocks it.Click on Stateside at the top of the page.

This is the stuff.Works really well.I used it myself recently and REALLY impressed.

Link Removed

Videos Here.EternaBond - EternaBond Video Library

Last edited:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
You can get a strip of roof leak seal from DIY sheds, its about 3" wide or use some wide plastic type sellotape for a temporary measure.

I am sure LindyC will have a better method when she looks in here

Regards

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hope you get it sorted quickly Jim.

I threw a tarpaulin over mine and then got it into a friend's barn as soon as the Rains stopped.

Steve.

PS Just make sure the surrounding area is wiped clean first.This stuff sticks like the proverbial... to a blanket.:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
M

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Thanks Guys

I have just looked at the Eternabond Video where there is a repair made with the tape.

It looks just the job. I have some pond liner that I can use to protect it until I get the tape. I will give Lindy a shout.

Once again thanks its really appreciated.

The annoying thing about this is that I have Jim's checklist and stuck to it like glue. When I arrived at the campsite I went through the checklist step by Site. One of the items is low tree branches. Have somebody walk in front of you when moving on to the site and your pitch.

One of the campsite staff walked me to my pitch and just waved me on through the tees, I didn't hear a thing. It was only when I was looking over the van that I saw it.

Cheers

Jim

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
Hi Jim,

Use Eternabond Tape.Comes in various width x 50' lengths.

I believe Linda stocks it.Click on Stateside at the top of the page.

This is the stuff.Works really well.I used it myself recently and REALLY impressed.

Link Removed

Videos Here.EternaBond - EternaBond Video Library

:Cool: Eternabond really is good stuff. :winky:

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
Have you tried claiming on your insurance? We had roof problems - satellite dish moved in a rainstorm and let water in - and Norwich Union's assessor agreed it was a fair claim. A new roof was fitted by Shires in Gloucester (superb work) and NU paid for it. ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Hope you are as successful.:thumb:

Bob and Di

OP
OP
M

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Have you tried claiming on your insurance? We had roof problems - satellite dish moved in a rainstorm and let water in - and Norwich Union's assessor agreed it was a fair claim. A new roof was fitted by Shires in Gloucester (superb work) and NU paid for it. ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Hope you are as successful.:thumb:

Bob and Di

I hadn't thought of that. Surley there would be an excess to pay and possibley an uplift in next years premium. I will have a further look at it.

I'm talking to Lindy about it at the minute, hopefully with here help I can sought out a repair. If not I'm fairly sure that Mindland in Coventry can fix it. Its just a case of getting it done quickly before the damp gets in.

Cheers

Jim :Doh:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I hadn't thought of that. Surley there would be an excess to pay and possibley an uplift in next years premium. I will have a further look at it.

I'm talking to Lindy about it at the minute, hopefully with here help I can sought out a repair. If not I'm fairly sure that Mindland in Coventry can fix it. Its just a case of getting it done quickly before the damp gets in.

Cheers

Jim :Doh:

I looked at insurance...but there's no-one reasonably near us who wanted to touch an EPDM Roof.

One even asked "what's that" which inspired confidence.:Doh:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
I looked at insurance...but there's no-one reasonably near us who wanted to touch an EPDM Roof.

One even asked "what's that" which inspired confidence.:Doh:

:Cool: Some builders of Home Garages are now fitting EPDM roofs instead of Felt. Out Simon was qouted £475 for his roof. :winky:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
:Cool: Some builders of Home Garages are now fitting EPDM roofs instead of Felt. Out Simon was qouted £475 for his roof. :winky:

Yes I saw that,

Seems more popular and longer lasting than traditional methods.

I was almost tempted to get a quote from one of them.....:winky:

Steve.

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
Yes, we had to pay an excess, but we had a protected no claims discount, so no change in our insurance premium thank goodness. We reckon it has added 15 years to the life of our RV, so small wonder we are delighted!:winky::winky:

Hope you solve it soon.

Bob and Di

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back