Outside lane (1 Viewer)

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
With a 5.2 ton PHG am I allowed to use the outside lane on a motorway ? I thought because of the weight it was not allowed but someone said I Could

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Not with that trailer attached ......BUSBY::bigsmile:

OP
OP
TheDogMan
Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Thank you, outside lane of the M6 on the way back from Manchester tonight then instead of waiting behind overtaking lorries:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
can you really use the third lane? over 3.5t is a Private HEAVY GOODS vehicle, still heavy goods the law does not state commercial heavy goods just goods. All of your personal possessions are "Goods". Legal clarification required here.

OP
OP
TheDogMan
Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
can you really use the third lane? over 3.5t is a Private HEAVY GOODS vehicle, still heavy goods the law does not state commercial heavy goods just goods. All of your personal possessions are "Goods". Legal clarification required here.

According to rules on the link given if I do not have a speed limiter fitted I can, am I reading it correctly :Doh:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Yes, you can use the outside lane.

In the V5 you are classed as a motor caravan , not a goods vehicle.

PHG or PLG is the taxation class

Last edited:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987

Motorhomes are classed as Motor Caravans (A vehicle (not being a living van) which is constructed or adapted for the carriage of passengers and their effects and which contains, as permanently installed equipment, the facilities which are reasonably necessary for enabling the vehicle to provide mobile living accommodation for its users". Motor caravans are not classed as goods vehicles for MOT test purposes and are therefore in Class 4 or 5 depending on their seating capacity but regardless of their size or weight.

A `living van' is "a vehicle, whether mechanically propelled or not, which is used for living accommodation by one or more persons and which is also used for the carriage of goods or burden which are not needed by such one or more persons for the purpose of their residence in the vehicle". Living vans are classed as goods vehicles and, depending on their weight, are therefore in either Class 4 or 7 within the MOT test scheme or are subject to HGV plating and testing.

In a nutshell, you can use all lanes of a motorway if you are driving a Motor Caravan and using it for its intended purpose.

Allan

Edit......I know someones going to say "what about motorbikes / scooters etc stored in the Garage". If they are for the use of one or more persons for their purpose of residence in the vehicle, then they are not Goods or Burden.

Common sense really!

Last edited:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.

I believe the 'goods' category description is 'goods for sale, hire, or reward', and not 'personal chattels in transit'.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Total Number of Motorhome/caravans registered in UK

I have this info direct from Department for Transport (DfT) Vehicle Stats.
Total Number of Motorhome/motorcaravans registered in UK
The website does not show data for Motor Caravans so an email request was necessary.

Motorhome/Motorcaravan registered in UK at 31st March 2014 :- 232,527 of which 37,634 or 16.18% were under SORN.

Interestingly only 9,866 are category M1 passenger vehicles :- 18,344 are N1 or goods vehicles under 7500kg and 179 are N2 goods vehicles over 7500kg :- 1,884 are classes as “Other” and 202,254 are classed as “Missing”?

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back