Hymer S660 / S670 spare wheel (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
When we bought our 1992 Hymer S670 the spare wheel was in the rear locker which completely blocks the locker for other use.

There is a tow bar fitted to our MH and I'm guessing that before the tow bar was installed the spare was located under the rear floor beside the grey water tank, but the tow bar now prevents that.

We are thinking of removing the tow bar but not sure if the entire floor to the rear of the axle is all Mercedes or part Hymer. This raises the question of was the spare wheel carrier an original Mercedes item or a fabricated Hymer assembly.

Never seen a S600 or another S670 parked up to look underneath, can anyone give an idea of the standard location for a spare on these models?

I'm assuming that the longer and shorter models aren't the same as different length floors?

Thanks

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
on a previous van, I bought a towbar mounted bike carrier and a tyre mount from a 4x4's back door. I unbolted the bike arms and bolted the mount to the 2 uprights of the carrier. then the spare tyre was mounted on the carrier and covered with a white 4x4 tyre cover. It looked like a factory option when fitted, very neat and tidy. plus I could still use the towbar

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Good idea thanks but it would block the rear locker door. Thought about making a fold-down frame off of the tow bar but then couldn't get close enough to the locker due to the spare being horizontal, therefore what was the original set-up.

We'll probably never use the tow bar as have one on another vehicle, and would like to reclaim the rear locker.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Found a parts diagram on funster cbrookson blog (big thanks to you for sharing)

http://www.s700.org.uk/p/useful-information.html

which shows it all clearly. The drawing is a puzzle through as the spare wheel carrier is shown where our grey water tank is, on the far rear left of the floor. Is the S660 grey water tank at the rear on the left or right as ours is on the left when looking forward from the rear.

Next question, are there any of these older Hymers being broken for spares?

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
very few motorhomes get broken up for spares due to the value. the rare ones that do are badly accident damaged or riddled with damp

I have even seen stolen recovered vans that were stripped for parts being rebuilt rather than dismantled.

the other issue is that commercial vans of the same year were likely scrapped years ago, so parts get rarer so more expensive as the years roll by.

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
The drawing is a puzzle through as the spare wheel carrier is shown where our grey water tank is, on the far rear left of the floor. Is the S660 grey water tank at the rear on the left or right as ours is on the left when looking forward from the rear.

On our S700 the carrier is on the left hand side, the grey water on the right. Looked at lots of pics and it's not easy to see on the S660!

Cheers

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Thanks again! have found the outline of the old hinge mountings on the rear RH side member, it's about 1.2m in from the rear bumper. I think Hymer made their own wheel carrier as the drawing of an S660 and a Mercedes one look quite different with different attachments.
Next stop Hymer I suppose unless someone knows of used spares for the S660 & S670 range

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back