LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
A question for for those that spend time away in the summer. This van is the first I have had that does not have a fridge fan. Am in Benidorm at the moment and its HOT. The fridge is struggling to keep up and there does not seem to be any kits available here for some reason only clear to the Spanish. So am looking at fitting a laptop fan, but do not want to put it on a switch as I would prefer it automatic. Any suggestions on a simple thermo switch.

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
The Dometic engineer who repaired my fridge said in really hot conditions turn the fridge to its lowest setting because its getting too hot to work.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
How about a cheap mechanical room thermostat ?

I've fitted several fridge fans and never bothered, just used a rocker switch with neon indication.. if it's that hot it will be on most of the time anyway

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Dave a laptop fan won't be big enough -you need a full blown 4 ins comp fan or even 2 :Smile: cannot advise on the switch thing ::bigsmile:
terry

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi Dave a laptop fan won't be big enough -you need a full blown 4 ins comp fan or even 2 :Smile: cannot advise on the switch thing ::bigsmile:
terry

Hi Terry, I did look at some 4" fans at Gascon here in Spain yesterday whilst getting some electrical fittings. They did look as though they would suck the inside of the fridge aperture out :Eeek:.
Am not sure which would be the best way to position the fan ie, bottom blowing up or top sucking out. Am aware that once the outside temp gets around 30 degs then the fridge is not going to cope well. Obviously noise is also going to be an issue as I do not want to be deafened any more than I already am, thats why I was thinking of a laptop fan, or maybe 2, one pushing and one pulling.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Terry, I did look at some 4" fans at Gascon here in Spain yesterday whilst getting some electrical fittings. They did look as though they would suck the inside of the fridge aperture out :Eeek:.
Am not sure which would be the best way to position the fan ie, bottom blowing up or top sucking out. Am aware that once the outside temp gets around 30 degs then the fridge is not going to cope well. Obviously noise is also going to be an issue as I do not want to be deafened any more than I already am, thats why I was thinking of a laptop fan, or maybe 2, one pushing and one pulling.

Top sucking out Dave.. :thumb:

puter fans are almost silent , I would fit two , side by side..

FM02MZO

Free Member
Jun 22, 2012
Castle Donington
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
30 years caravan, 2 year motorhome

If you buy the manufactures cooling fan kit, which is fully automatic, it is mounted in the bottom so that it blows up on to the condenser, it also has an automatic temperature controlled switch which clips on to one of the pipes at the top

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Dave try best of both 1 /2 at the top sucking out and one at the bottom sucking in ::bigsmile: --Jim has said the rest :Smile:--SILENT RUNNING :thumb:
I HAVE A 3 1/2 " one as my DIY SOG fan :thumb:
FM02MZO I did not know they did proper jobby's :thumb:
terry

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
One of these is suitable but you need to know the switch-on temp. you need:

Broken Link Removed

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
If you buy the manufactures cooling fan kit, which is fully automatic, it is[HI] mounted in the bottom[/HI]so that it blows up on to the condenser, it also has an automatic temperature controlled switch which clips on to one of the pipes at the top

sorry.. that is wrong
The [HI]upper ventilation system [/HI]consists of a mounting frame, a ventilation grille and a winter cover.

They are always mounted on the top vent sucking out, ie creating a negative pressure
that sucks cool air in from the bottom vent.

http://www.dometic.com/enuk/Europe/United-Kingdom/leisure-vehicles/Refrigerators/Ventilation-systems/product/?productdataid=80415

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Do you need a fan? Might be worth checking first, if not already done, that the cooling fins on the condenser are not blocked with dust and fluff. A quick Dysoning might improve the performance of the 'fridge.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Do you need a fan? Might be worth checking first, if not already done, that the cooling fins on the condenser are not blocked with dust and fluff. A quick Dysoning might improve the performance of the 'fridge.

Under normal UK conditions I would agree that a fan is not necessary. But this is not normal UK conditions, its 26 in the shade now. The fridge unfortunately is in the sun and I prefer sitting in the shade when its this hot. I will of course give it a good cleaning whilst am in there.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Dave - I had a similar problem in France last week - the fridge vent was in the sun and it was very hot !

2 things helped - I removed the vent cover from the outside to allow more free airflow, and also removed a rubber strip I had placed at the front where it sits on the floor which gave a cold draught in the winter coming from underneath the fridge and had forgotten to remove it:Doh:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Under normal UK conditions I would agree that a fan is not necessary. But this is not normal UK conditions, its 26 in the shade now. The fridge unfortunately is in the sun and I prefer sitting in the shade when its this hot. I will of course give it a good cleaning whilst am in there.

Cannot believe that RMB has not got a fan as standard ::bigsmile:
terry

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
A good friend of mine spent hours and hours faffing around with computer fans and thermostats and a soldering iron with little to no success.

In frustration he went to Camperserve on the N125, handed over €50 for the fan kit which came complete with everything. Vent off and 45 minutes later all working 100% (and still is).

I have twin fans retro fitted to my Hymer fridge and it makes a huge difference.

JJ :Cool:

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
A good friend of mine spent hours and hours faffing around with computer fans and thermostats and a soldering iron with little to no success.

In frustration he went to Camperserve on the N125, handed over €50 for the fan kit which came complete with everything. Vent off and 45 minutes later all working 100% (and still is).

I have twin fans retro fitted to my Hymer fridge and it makes a huge difference.

That would be my ideal JJ, but would you believe that although Benidorm has perhaps more caravan and motorhome pitches per square mile than any other place in Europe, it is served by one camping shop that is only interested in selling you an awning or kitchen tent. I was in there yesterday and enquired about the kit and was told "Not possible in Spain" :Doh:. A good business oportunity there for someone younger and healthier :thumb:.

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
In France last year , the worktops around the fridge were to hot too touch, things were melting in the fridge :Eeek:

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Its 25 in the shade and 36 in the sun now, so not much chance of a condenser fridge keeping on top of that without some help from a fan. Have just sent my little man off to get 2 laptop fans a switch and some wire. Meanwhile I may as well drink this beer before it gets to warm to drink :Cool:. Thank goodness Smudger is not here otherwise he would want half my cold beer.

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
I'm a big fan of fridges::bigsmile:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Just make sure you get the polarity right on the fans. They don't run backwards in my experience if you get it wrong - they just go phut and you are left with a little windmill which goes round if you blow on it.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
So, now I have 2 X 4" 12 volt brushless computer fans fitted with a switch that once back in the UK I will replace with a thermo switch. The 2 fans just fit behind the top grill and are pulling the heat out. Cost E18.60 parts from the local computer shop and E40 labour including fridge service. Seems to be working fine at 33deg. Alls well that ends well. Thanks for the input guys, back to drinking cold beer and to test it out have just purchased loads of Amstel at 33 cents a can :thumb:.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
You were meant to be having today OFF, Mr Snowbird!

I have my friend. I as just testing beer all day to see if the fridge was working. I dont consider beer tasting work ::bigsmile:.

Attachments

• 171688_192474377440724_6592559_o (1).jpg
    171688_192474377440724_6592559_o (1).jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 68

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Do the 12 volt fans help if the the fridge is running on 240v or gas or only if on 240v ? Cheers

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Do the 12 volt fans help if the the fridge is running on 240v or gas or only if on 240v ? Cheers

The fans will help regardless of the supply. Am on mains hookup now, but when on gas they should get rid of the heat better. They are almost silent in running and pull hardly any amps from the batteries.

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
If you are looking for a controller, I used one like this and it has worked well in temperatures of 35+ this year in Italy.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electroni...ther_Computing_Networking&hash=item417c43cd4c

I fitted mine in a small box with a switch from maplins and wired it to a used PS1 twin fan obtained from the local computer shop for a quid. (got a few spares also)
The controller does not have much differential on the thermostat switch, so in the period just before the fan is not needed it switches on and off frequently, however to date this has had no noticeable effect on the fan.:thumb:

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I can report that the 2 X 4" computer fans are doing a sterling job on keeping the fridge cool. Silent running, so dont know they are on, so as soon as am back I will fit a thermo switch. They do seem to work better than the purpose manufactured ones as when I have checked on previous vans fitted with a fan,the air is still quite warm at the top grill when the fan is running. With the computer fans it is much the same as the outside temperature. When I used to run American RVs I fitted a small fan in the aperture directly connected to a small solar panel fitted on the rooftop vent. This worked well as the fan only came on when the sun was shining. This was not an option on the RMB without drilling a hole in the roof as it has the 2 side wall vents. A good job and am pleased with the results.

decameron07

Free Member
Feb 26, 2017
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Looking at fitting these fans to our Autotrail.
On fitting these fans would I need to let my insurance company know because surely it is classed as a modification?

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Looking at fitting these fans to our Autotrail.
On fitting these fans would I need to let my insurance company know because surely it is classed as a modification?

I would imagine the fans are not powerful enough to make the van go any faster, so dont bother the insurance people.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back