MOT for large van South Cumbria (1 Viewer)

barrywi

Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I am a Newbie to motorhomes but have caravaned for years
Looking for an MOT station near Grange over Sands that can cope with our Autocruise Gleneagle , 7.5 metres long and 4000 plus Kg. Under 3 metres high.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Have you tried garages operated by public bodies? Fire,Ambulance,local authorities Water companies and BT. Or a contract garage that does minbuses and coaches.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Sorry, not answering your request directly but if you fancy a trip to Carlisle, Howatt’s garage, about a mile from the M6 Jct’s 42 or 43 do our mot’s/servicing. They have room for American RV’s and the owner has a converted library van. No connection other than a satisfied customer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Looking for an MOT station near Grange over Sands that can cope with our Autocruise Gleneagle , 7.5 metres long and 4000 plus Kg. Under 3 metres high.

One I use in Kendal is Ullswater Road Garage:

Broken Link Removed

Nice friendly people & can usually fit you in quickly if needed. My MH is only just over 6M but they take large commercials.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Sorry, not answering your request directly but if you fancy a trip to Carlisle, Howatt’s garage, about a mile from the M6 Jct’s 42 or 43 do our mot’s/servicing. They have room for American RV’s and the owner has a converted library van. No connection other than a satisfied customer.

Just noticed your dogs - we share interests and pets: I have Greyhound boy & Whippet girl ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
barrywi

barrywi

Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I am a Newbie to motorhomes but have caravaned for years
One I use in Kendal is Ullswater Road Garage:

Broken Link Removed

Nice friendly people & can usually fit you in quickly if needed. My MH is only just over 6M but they take large commercials.

That looks close enough thanks, I will give them a ring tomorrow when we get home. All the locals i have tried cant cope with either the wheelbase or height. I need some advice from them also before the test re the condition of the tyres on our van. Usual micro cracks on sidewalls. I think I may get away with buying just two tyres soon.
Thanks again everybody

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Well worth seeking out your local council test station. I've used the local council highways test station the last 2 years.

No vested interest in doing any work so assured of a fair MOT (no offence but not all garages are saints)

only charged £40 for the test they also have useful opening hours. Last MOT was done at 07:30 in the morning done and dusted on the way to work (well almost)

They tend to be well hidden on the council websites but would expect most of the local taxi firms to know where the nearest is.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i too use the council depot for my RV.......unfortunately Scarborough council are too tight to have their own MOT workshop so i have to travel 42 miles to Beverley.

If a public body (council etc) do MOT their own fleet they are obliged by law to provide the service to the public and as they dont undertake private repair work there is no incentive to fail something in the hope of getting work.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Try "mile road garage", Moor lane, Flookburgh. Its the first one on the left.
Its about a mile from me and can handle a van that big no problem.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back