LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
If anyone has a newish coachbuilt motorhome on a Ford Transit chassis it might be an idea to check with Ford if an "upgrade of the engine management software" is needed for your vehicle as if not done you could end up with cracked pistons! We have had a letter from Chausson saying that the upgrade "optimizes engine operation & improves driving comfort" but when checking online the upgrade code 3S548 there are reports saying "the dealer showed me their notification. At low engine temperature, below 20°c excess cylinder pressure can cause piston cracks or failure." :thumbdown: We were going to have this done at its first service but booked in now after reading that! On the positive side once done it sounds as if it will make it run smoother, quieter, less likely to stall & possibly an increase in mpg.::bigsmile: Our letter says it takes less than 30 minutes but local Ford garage allows a couple of hours. If you do receive a letter & don't have it done in reasonable time apparently it can invalidate your Ford warranty.Not impressed that this problem was known about in December & the software update was available then but took until now for us to be contacted...

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Thanks for the heads up. How will we know if it affects us? We have a 2010 . Can you provide a link please.

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thanks for the info. I had a search for Transit recalls but it doesn't look like it's been treated as being serious enough to warrant a recall.

Is there a site where you can check which Transits are affected? I'll probably give Ford a ring tomorrow anyway.

Tim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Had a letter for ours booked in in 2 weeks time nearly did't bother it goes so well and I thought might be worse after..........didn't know it was so serious.

David

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
No info on Ford websites or extra info. from dealership but this is the site that we found which relates to the 3S548 code http://fordtransit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=139232
The letter we had from Chausson says it should be done asap - presume they are gradually sending out notifications to all new Chausson owners (with Ford Transit chassis) but as it looks like this started in December last year it's not a quick response! Don't know if it affects all mark 7 transits but definitely worth a call to Ford dealership with your VIN number to check. When we contacted our local one it was on their system for our motorhome.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Thanks for the info. I had a search for Transit recalls but it doesn't look like it's been treated as being serious enough to warrant a recall.

Is there a site where you can check which Transits are affected? I'll probably give Ford a ring tomorrow anyway.

Tim
There is etis.ford.com but need a login - if you ring Ford dealership with your VIN they can check - could save a lot of grief in the future!

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Had a letter for ours booked in in 2 weeks time nearly did't bother it goes so well and I thought might be worse after..........didn't know it was so serious.

David
Can't be positive that it is as serious as it sounds but the info. we found put enough doubt in our minds & we might get more mpg as well as peace of mind!

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Thanks for the heads up. How will we know if it affects us? We have a 2010 . Can you provide a link please.
No Ford link that we could access but if you ring Ford dealership with your VIN they can check. On our letter it says it is a free upgrade so if applicable to your engine then hopefully it will be for yours too.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
No info on Ford websites or extra info. from dealership but this is the site that we found which relates to the 3S548 code http://fordtransit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=139232
The letter we had from Chausson says it should be done asap - presume they are gradually sending out notifications to all new Chausson owners (with Ford Transit chassis) but as it looks like this started in December last year it's not a quick response! Don't know if it affects all mark 7 transits but definitely worth a call to Ford dealership with your VIN number to check. When we contacted our local one it was on their system for our motorhome.

There was a problem with software back in 2008-2010ish where the engine on most models was easy to stall. An update was available if you complained enough!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
No login required, just use this link-

http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do;jsessionid=CEFD0A607B99CD2F029C78EA94FA5813.fcvas509

With motorhomes you will have better luck using the VIN, rather than the reg number. Vehicles not imported by Ford UK don't get their reg numbers logged for some reason.:Doh:

We got to this point on etis too & shows lots of our vehicle details but nothing about the software needing upgrading but that definitely flagged up on Ford dealerships access so still necessary to check with Ford to be sure.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Bump - probably lots of motorhomers this could affect that haven't had any notification yet.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
my van is a 2008 and as jonandshell mentioned above the original ecu software had to be updated to include an anti stall feature.. easy enough to check. just let your foot off clutch gently. the revs increase and the van will move off without touching throttle.
I know this is different, but it does seem to effect tick over speed and the lads on the transit forum all noticed the difference.
ta andy

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Bump - probably lots of motorhomers this could affect that haven't had any notification yet.

Our 2009 2.2 140bhp Durotec engined Transit doesn't need any upgrade according to Ford. Of course, we've only just bought it so it may have had the upgrade (if applicable) already.

Tim

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
the trouble with the earlier vehicle problem was that when new and in for service some dealers were just doing the software update and the owners were none the wiser. some vans slipped through the net and had the problem after the warranty period.. there didn't seem to be any clear strategy from ford to sort the problem.. I never got a letter telling me about the problem. it was the transit forum which alerted me that an update was available. again I think this issue sounds a bit more serious and ford may be notifying the relevant owners

ta andy

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
de
the trouble with the earlier vehicle problem was that when new and in for service some dealers were just doing the software update and the owners were none the wiser. some vans slipped through the net and had the problem after the warranty period.. there didn't seem to be any clear strategy from ford to sort the problem.. I never got a letter telling me about the problem. it was the transit forum which alerted me that an update was available. again I think this issue sounds a bit more serious and ford may be notifying the relevant owners

ta andy
Our letter from Chausson/Ford said to take to dealer "as soon as possible" & with the potential risk of pistons cracking mentioned on the Transit forum (if correct) it does sound more serious as if just an enhancement it could just be done when serviced. Chausson sold a record number of Best Of models designed for the UK market at the end of last year/early this year on the last production run of Transit Chassis before moving to Fiat so this could affect a lot of Chausson owners & also other makes using Ford. Our motorhome had its predelivery check with a Ford dealership in November & went into another Ford dealership for an electrical fault shortly after but this software upgrade was not done - looks like it came to light in December last year. Will keep bumping this to make sure as many people are aware as possible so at least they can check with Ford.

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
It would helpful if you could tell folk just which engine (and years) are affected. Could save folk needlessly worrying or troubling their Ford dealer.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
It would helpful if you could tell folk just which engine (and years) are affected. Could save folk needlessly worrying or troubling their Ford dealer.
All we have managed to find out so far is detailed here so don't know which engine/years are affected. We might know more at the weekend after ours has been done. It's only a phone call to find out & our garage were very happy to check for us as it's extra income for them during what is normally a quiet time of the year.

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
All we have managed to find out so far is detailed here so don't know which engine/years are affected. We might know more at the weekend after ours has been done. It's only a phone call to find out & our garage were very happy to check for us as it's extra income for them during what is normally a quiet time of the year.

Um, unless I've missed it you've not said what year your van is or which engine it has.

Tim

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Um, unless I've missed it you've not said what year your van is or which engine it has.

Tim

Ours is a Chausson with Ford Transit 2.2TDCi Duratorq diesel engine 140 bhp first registered in November 2013 but as it was the NEC show demonstrator of the Best Of 04 model so it is the same as the new ones delivered earlier this year. As we don't yet know which Ford models & engines this essential upgrade applies to I would still suggest that anyone with a newish Ford Transit Mark 7 chassis motorhome rings their local Ford Dealer with their VIN to check even if they don't have the 2.2 Duratorq.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
think the link to the thread on the transit forum tell the same story, ie the 2.2l 140ps engine was the one mentioned.
ta andy

paintman

Free Member
Aug 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
1 year
I have seen a 14 plate mk 8 transit with less than 500 miles on the clock in bits in a Ford commercial workshop, by all accounts the engine had too much oil pressure and had pumped oil out everywhere, resulting in a major failure.

I was told the failure was under investigation, but initial opinions were focused on a fault with the piston rings. I don't know which engine this model had or whether its part of the bigger problem, although the op mentioned excess pressure. In any event the problem I guess, would only apply to newish vehicles.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Now I am worried - we've done 900 miles so roll on Friday when hopefully it will be sorted so that doesn't happen to ours...

paintman

Free Member
Aug 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
1 year
Sorry I did not intend to worry you, and what I saw may be a one off, if its not it will only apply to a particular batch of engines of the same output. If your has done 900 miles it hopefully will be ok.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Peugeot boxer 2.2 130 Bhp engines are made by Ford. As fitted to our van. ECU software was updated a couple of months ago by Peugeot and they did some more adjustments to the injector timing. Not sure if this is related to the recall but it certainly runs better since it came back.
Allan

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Peugeot boxer 2.2 130 Bhp engines are made by Ford. As fitted to our van. ECU software was updated a couple of months ago by Peugeot and they did some more adjustments to the injector timing. Not sure if this is related to the recall but it certainly runs better since it came back.
Allan
It's good to know that software updates can improve things - will see what happens tomorrow with ours...

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We have a 2010 Chausson Flash 14 with a 2.2 engine and am happy to say its not on the list of recalls:Smile:

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Today is the day for us to get this sorted - will try & find out more from Ford Dealership about what engines this affects & post later but don't hold your breath!

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Just had a recall notice from Hymer regarding fuel filler pipes coming loose.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Just had a recall notice from Hymer regarding fuel filler pipes coming loose.
Might be an idea to also start a post on this so Hymer Transit owners are made aware & can check if their vehicle is affected? It would appear Ford have known about our problem since December but took until now to get a letter!

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back