Gaslow hoses (1 Viewer)

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
i have two 450mm Gasow butane stainless steel hoses, they replace the original Truma rubber hoses (part no 50410--6) I fitted these to our motorhome but after a week or so decided I would prefer to keep the Truma type hoses because they have the secumotion cutoff valve and I prefer to leave the gas on all the time..

So the Gaslow hoses are on offer for £35 the pair, free postage, if anyone interested.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
i have two 450mm Gasow butane stainless steel hoses, they replace the original Truma rubber hoses (part no 50410--6) I fitted these to our motorhome but after a week or so decided I would prefer to keep the Truma type hoses because they have the secumotion cutoff valve and I prefer to leave the gas on all the time..

So the Gaslow hoses are on offer for £35 the pair, free postage, if anyone interested.

I leave mine on all the time anyway?

OP
OP
iandsm
Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Gaslow

I leave mine on all the time anyway?

In France you must turn off gas when travelling, the only system permitted to remain on is the Truma Secumotion which includes the cut off valves in the hoses from the bottle and another on the regulator.

Its' an EU directive. I doubt we will ever see a motorhome stopped and checked by the Gendarmes BUT if you had an accident.??? There are some real dangers to traveling with the gas on. there have been several videos showing motorhomes gong up in flames after accidents.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
First time we went through the Tyne Tunnel in our (then) motorhome in 2006 or 7 we were signaled into the check area and asked if the gas was turned off.

OP
OP
iandsm
Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Gaslow

Exactly the same with Eurotunnel and I think the ferries but thats fine, it's just that driving without in that is not allowed in France unless its Secumotion or other approved system (and I din't think there is one)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
In France you must turn off gas when travelling, the only system permitted to remain on is the Truma Secumotion which includes the cut off valves in the hoses from the bottle and another on the regulator.

Its' an EU directive. I doubt we will ever see a motorhome stopped and checked by the Gendarmes BUT if you had an accident.??? There are some real dangers to traveling with the gas on. there have been several videos showing motorhomes gong up in flames after accidents.

I have thought seriously about whether I should to turn it off or not. However I find it hard to believe that a low pressure leak of LPG would increase the risk of fire by any measurable amount. A more serious accident might see the bottle detach from the regulator allowing a more rapid escape of gas and / or liquid but might also see the bottle valve sheared too. Vehicles using LPG as engine fuel have the fuel cut-off in the engine compartment. The 8mm copper feed from the tank to the cut-off valve is under tank pressure and unprotected.

OP
OP
iandsm
Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Gaslow

I have thought seriously about whether I should to turn it off or not. However I find it hard to believe that a low pressure leak of LPG would increase the risk of fire by any measurable amount. A more serious accident might see the bottle detach from the regulator allowing a more rapid escape of gas and / or liquid but might also see the bottle valve sheared too. Vehicles using LPG as engine fuel have the fuel cut-off in the engine compartment. The 8mm copper feed from the tank to the cut-off valve is under tank pressure and unprotected.

I don't know if the videos I have seen where accidents caused gas ignition occurred with protected or unprotected hoses. It's the hose breaking away that would, I expect be the most dangerous thing which is why the Secumotion hoses have the cut off valve. Of course, if the valve became detached from the bottle its goodnight nurse! unless the bottle has a non return valve which Gaslow ones do.

The gas coming from there bottle must be higher than 30 mb which is why the regulator is needed so I would think gas ignited from a broken hose at a point before it reaches gthe regulator would be spectacular.

There is another way of loping at stainless steel hoses, because of their tough construction, if an impact was severe enough to rupture the hose, it would be so severe the occupants of the camper would probably be past caring anyway. Lets hope we never ring out.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The gas coming from there bottle must be higher than 30 mb which is why the regulator is needed so I would think gas ignited from a broken hose at a point before it reaches gthe regulator would be spectacular.

It's up around 300-400psi (depending on temperature of course). Even gas (not liquid!) escaping at that pressure is relatively safe as long as it's burning. The danger of explosion is when a large volume escapes, has time to form a cloud, then is ignited. Especially in a confined space!

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
. It's the hose breaking away that would, I expect be the most dangerous thing which is why the Secumotion hoses have the cut off valve.

I have the Truma Secumotion in my Adria, but the high pressure hose between the cylinder and the Secomotion regulator does not have a cut off valve (other than the one on the cylinder), and nor is there any mention of one in the operating and installation instructions. Instead I have an ordinary Propane pigtail.

As far as I can see my Secumotion only protects the low pressure gas system. It does that by monitoring outlet flows and pressure, and therefore only guards against leaks in the low pressure side. If there is a leak in the high pressure hose between the cylinder and the Secumotion regulator then there is nothing it can do to stop that.

Last edited:

bluemog

Free Member
Feb 11, 2012
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
3 years
Gaslow 11kg bottle and hoses for sale

I have an 11kg bottle and connecting hoses for sale. New motorhome has diesel heating and hot water so locker only manages one bottle. Only 2 years old and looks as new.

Retail price £145 but reasonable offers considered.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back